“Lapping” rifle barrels?

but if you do it to a barrel that is already at dimension you will create an oversized bore.
this allows gas leakage which in turn causes copper fouling.
lead can be used as with leather.
lead is better, because it is formed to the shape of the rifling, and therefore gives a more honest lap.
when you tighten the nut, lead will expand.
yes lead seems to disappear quickly on early strokes, but it does not take many strokes before that starts to go away.
fire lapping gives no control, while a properly adjusted lap does.

bob, given the marginal nature of the 25 cal, accuracy allows for better bullet placement.
bruce.
@bruce moulds.
Marginal for what, the big 5 yes but 99% of the game in OZ it's fine.
I suggest you read about the person that used a 257 Weatherby for his plains game hunt and flattened every thing one shot using a 100 grain Barnes TTSX. He didn't retrieve to many projectiles as they were pass thru with massive internal damage on the way.
My own 25 has the 100 grain Barnes TTSX at 3,670 fps SAFELY. This makes for one flat shooting cartridge out to 400 yards. 2 inches high at 100 less than 2 inches low at 300 and 8 inches low at 400.
Power, accuracy and enough power combined with low recoil makes the 25s the ideal choice.
The 25 cal is a TRUE ALROUNDER for soft skin game.
Bob
20210115_123439.jpg

The insert gives you an idea of what even the smaller 25s can do.

I rest my case for the 25s your honour

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!