Don’t let unfinished paperwork hunt you

Don’t let unfinished paperwork hunt you

The law regarding bringing your rifles into South Africa is very clear. Section 73 of the South African Firearms Control Act states that no person may import into or take in-transit through South Africa any firearms or ammunition without a temporary import or in-transit permit.

TRAVELLING TIP: Hunters who did not apply for the pre-approved temporary import permits for their rifles coming into South Africa, need to apply for the necessary permit on arrival at the airport.

It is very important that you have a temporary export permit or export letter from your country of origin, or any official document permitting you to temporarily export your rifles from your country of origin. For US hunters, the customs form CBP4457 will be sufficient.

For those wanting to bring their rifles into South Africa for hunting purposes, it is important to know that a temporary import permit will only be issued at the port of entry to the following people:

- A foreign visitor for the purpose of hunting.
- A foreign visitor to display the firearm and and ammunition at a trade show or collections show or to display firearms and ammunition at a sports or hunting trade show.
- An official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor so designated by the SA Department of Foreign Affairs
- A foreign law enforcement officer entering the Republic of South Africa on an officially approved policing assignment...
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media