Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Would you use one?

This is a discussion on Would you use one? within the Up To .375 forums, part of the HUNTING EQUIPMENT, FIREARMS & AMMUNITION category; Without stating the importance of caliber choice 30-06!...

BARTFRNCS is offline AH Enthusiast

Member of RMEF DU SCI NRA

Hunted CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA

BARTFRNCS has no Articles
    View BARTFRNCS's Photos

Without stating the importance of caliber choice 30-06!

poprivit is online now AH Member
    poprivit has no Articles
    View poprivit's Photos

OK, lots of good advice. Looks like the 30 cal gets the nod.

How many of you have actually taken a cat the size of a leopard? (No, your overfed house tabby doesn't count.) I've only hunted a cougar, but he was taken with a Ruger 44 Mag Super Blackhawk.

35bore is online now AH Elite

Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever

Hunted USA, South Africa, France

35bore has no Articles
    View 35bore's Photos

Quote Originally Posted by poprivit View Post
    OK, lots of good advice. Looks like the 30 cal gets the nod.

How many of you have actually taken a cat the size of a leopard? (No, your overfed house tabby doesn't count.) I've only hunted a cougar, but he was taken with a Ruger 44 Mag Super Blackhawk.
    I have only hunted ML once n my life, he was in a tree and i had a BP 45-70, when he squalked after the shot I knew it was a good hit. He ran 50-60 yrds after taking a 25 ft. plunge out of that tree. All I can say is that both cats (cougar and leopard) almost have the same weight. I would NOT go half way across the world undergunned, your 416 will fit the bill, provided you do your part.
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche // That which does not kill me, better run like hell" Scott Smith

lwaters is online now AH Veteran

Hunted Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho

lwaters has no Articles
    View lwaters's Photos

I have a 300 RCM with a stainless steel 20in barrel. I put a 2x7 Redfield scope on it. It also has
    open sights. The beauty of this little rifle is it does not have the rebated rim that the wsm and
    rsaum have so it feeds nicer and reloads easier. I can load it so it shoots like a 308 win. or
    power her up to close to 300 win mag. performance. Regardless of what Hornady says it does not
    equal the 300win. I can get around 3000fps with 165 grain bullets and a easy 2800 with the
    180 nosler partition. Not bad out of a 20in barrel. Cut the barrel that short on a 300win mag
    and it probably won't shot much faster. I shot eight animals in Namibia from springbock to kudu and never felt the need for more rifle. I had a 338 win mag. with me but never used it. I think it would be a great choice for leapords and would make a nice mate to your 416 ruger. I myself may get a 375 ruger someday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2