Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

expected accuracy off sticks for .300 winmag?

This is a discussion on expected accuracy off sticks for .300 winmag? within the Up To .375 forums, part of the FIREARMS & AMMUNITION, HUNTING EQUIPMENT category; Well I am not really trying to "get you", just trying to make sense of this. Maybe you could post ...

sestoppelman is online now SILVER SUPPORTER

Member of NRA, NA Hunt Club

Hunted Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa

Well I am not really trying to "get you", just trying to make sense of this. Maybe you could post a pic of your brake, it might make it more clear. Dont matter really, as long as it works.

TERMINATOR is offline AH Enthusiast

Member of NRA (Life), EX Member Safari Club Intl

Hunted USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by sestoppelman View Post
    I have used the prone position in the field more than once though admittedly not near as often as others like sitting and kneeling. I think most of us would be having a very good day indeed to shoot 3-4 inches at 200 yards standing from sticks, especially in the field.
    I have too....but never in Africa.

Way I look at it, if you can keep it on a paper plate out to 300 yards from field positions you are going to kill anything bigger than a Duiker/Steenbuk. I do like the 6" targets that highlight your hits as it is easy to see how you are doing without walking back and forth.

enysse is online now AH Ambassador

Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

The muzzlebrake, I was referring to was the "Fox River" they put them on at Gander Mountain stores for about $149....at least that's what I found when I did a search. I put mine on my gun many years ago. I couldn't even find a picture! I guess their is a lot of talk on hunting forums if they are worth the money....MY ANSWER is "YES".

They thread the end of the barrel and install it that way. You can have the whole barrel re-blued or just the brake....I paid to have the brake blued. You can remove the brake and put a plain section on if you want to shoot the gun with out a brake.

My gun is at my brothers house...many miles away.

Thunder head is offline AH Enthusiast

Member of NWTF, NRA

Something i found critical to accuracy of sticks is the balance point of your rifle on the sticks. Experiment placing your rifle at different locations on the sticks. I found i am steadier at a set distance.
    I have walked in the tracks of the elephant, heard the lion roar and met the buffalo on his terms. I shall never be the same.

Code4 is online now AH Enthusiast

Member of SSAA

Hunted Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.

Hitting a 6" circle at 200 yards is my goal, whether it is off sticks, a bipod or rest.
    Time spent in Reconnaisance is never wasted.

Hunted USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder head View Post
    Something i found critical to accuracy of sticks is the balance point of your rifle on the sticks. Experiment placing your rifle at different locations on the sticks. I found i am steadier at a set distance.
    Agree 100 percent. For me, the furthest forward I can place them while still being on the forearm and while still have a bend in my elbow is usually the best. I often am putting the sling swivel stud right in front of the tripod and bringing it back to it to add to the anchor point wrapping my fingers around the tripod and just my pointer finger up over the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Code4 View Post
    Hitting a 6" circle at 200 yards is my goal, whether it is off sticks, a bipod or rest.
    Yep

And a paper plate at 300

Johnny reb is online now AH Senior Member

Member of NRA- buckmasters

What is better too use for practice actual shooting sticks or something like primos trigger sticks.

gillettehunter is online now AH Enthusiast

Hunted Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa

I practiced with Trigger sticks to prepare for my 2nd African trip. Then I took them with me. My sons PH liked them so much he used some of his tip $ to buy them from me. I bought a new set when I got home. In a video recently I saw my PH also using the trigger sticks. Practice with what you will ctually ues is my advice. Bruce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2