This is a discussion on 300 RUM within the Up To .375 forums, part of the Firearms & Ammunition category; Whats the general opinion of this round from those who have used it on game?...
06-14-2011, 07:23 AM #1
- Member of RMEF DU SCI NRA
- Hunted CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
- BARTFRNCS has no Articles
- View BARTFRNCS's Photos
Whats the general opinion of this round from those who have used it on game?
06-14-2011, 07:25 AM #2
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Friend has one and he loves it. Claims the ballistics are better than the 300WM. He is a little guy and hunts everything with it. Personally, I have no idea.
06-14-2011, 08:22 AM #3
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
It's a very strong caliber for big game. A lot of people love it because it shoots a 30 cal. bullet very flat, very fast and kills game quickly. It does have a lot of recoil and noise to me. Good for most plains game and North American game or sheep hunting in the many other spots around the world.
06-14-2011, 09:16 AM #4
Same with .300 Wby, same with .300 Win Mag and the short mags.
I am a fan of shooting the boomer cartridges as long as a guy can still hit with them. I love my .300 Wby and the .300 RUM is a shade hotter.
06-14-2011, 12:39 PM #5
- Member of SCI, Member of Denver SCI chapter, DU
- Hunted US,Canada,Argentina,Botswana,South Africa
- WST416 has no Articles
- WST416 has no Photos
Its an ok cartridge, just like all the 30 cal magnums. It excels a little on the heavier bullets over the weatherby and win but not really on the 180gr and down. When I shot one we had when they first came out through the chrono with factory ammo it was the same or within 15fps of the 300 weatherby we had with the 180s. I never did reload the 300RUM, so hand loading with different powders my produce a little more fps, and the newer factory ammo my be slightly faster then the old but for me I still prefer the Weatherby and even the Winchester.
06-15-2011, 06:27 PM #6
- Member of SCI
- Hunted USA, S. Africa
- PHOENIX PHIL has no Articles
- View PHOENIX PHIL's Photos
Had one, keyword is had. That was the hardest kicking rifle I've shot and was certainly the source of my caution when I first shot my .375 H&H. I'd much rather shoot the .375. A friend of mine has the .300 RUM and near as I can tell it is a killing machine. We both shot the same load, don't remember the recipe, but it was accurate.
The recoil was just more than I wanted to deal with. Shoot it with a muzzle brake and it's certainly tolerable but if you don't have hearing protection in, you're ears will be ringing for hours. Ask me how I know.Bonse Aba