Results 1 to 20 of 20

Favorite .308 caliber

This is a discussion on Favorite .308 caliber within the Up To .375 forums, part of the HUNTING EQUIPMENT, FIREARMS & AMMUNITION category; So what's every bodies favorite 30 caliber round and in what rifle for hunting. Mine is a 300wby in a ...

  1. #1
    WST416's Avatar
    WST416 is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    100

    Member of SCI, Member of Denver SCI chapter, DU

    Hunted US,Canada,Argentina,Botswana,South Africa

    WST416 has no Photos

    Default Favorite .308 caliber

    So what's every bodies favorite 30 caliber round and in what rifle for hunting.
    Mine is a 300wby in a Ruger#1. It's been everywhere with me and preformed flawlessly.

  2. #2
    BARTFRNCS is offline AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    308

    Member of RMEF DU SCI NRA

    Hunted CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA

    Default

    My favorite is the 30-06. Really hard to beat. The rifle is a Rem 700 BDL with a Bell and Carlson Kevlar stock,Shilen match trigger, Greg Tannel fireing pin and spring with a custom shroud and a decelorator recoil pad. Topped with a Lupy VXIII 3x9. I shoot TSX 180s at 2700fps. It has knock down power. Very accurate and tough. I am a Gunsmith so after this years trip she gets a new barrel. A Shilen super match grade I bought for this project. So as she sits now its a semi custom job.

  3. #3
    sestoppelman's Avatar
    sestoppelman is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,213

    Member of NRA, NA Hunt Club

    Hunted Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa

    Default

    Wouldnt mind seeing a picture of that fine sounding rifle. That custom shroud in particular.

  4. #4
    James.Grage's Avatar
    James.Grage is offline GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,258

    Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF

    Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BARTFRNCS View Post
    My favorite is the 30-06. Really hard to beat. The rifle is a Rem 700 BDL with a Bell and Carlson Kevlar stock,Shilen match trigger, Greg Tannel fireing pin and spring with a custom shroud and a decelorator recoil pad. Topped with a Lupy VXIII 3x9. I shoot TSX 180s at 2700fps. It has knock down power. Very accurate and tough. I am a Gunsmith so after this years trip she gets a new barrel. A Shilen super match grade I bought for this project. So as she sits now its a semi custom job.
    I would like to see a picture also..
    James Grage - New Mexico
    Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
    "Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne

  5. #5
    James.Grage's Avatar
    James.Grage is offline GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,258

    Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF

    Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa

    Default 300 Weatherby mag

    My favorite 30 cal rifle is a 300 Weatherby mag with synthetic stock...

    This rifle has made 5 trips to Alaska and it just keeps ticking...
    James Grage - New Mexico
    Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
    "Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne

  6. #6
    Bert the Turtle is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    May 2010
    Posts
    242

    Default

    30-06. Rifle choice is a bit odd: an M1 Garand made in 1941, rebuilt by Eric Pierce. I opened up the rear aperture to about 0.125 inch to make it quicker and easier to see in lower light. Doesn't get to go to Africa, but I do really enjoy that rifle. There is just something special and fun about it. I've taken a bison and an axis deer with it. I'll probably use it for whitetail this fall. It doesn't get as much hunting use as my bolt gun in '06, but it is clearly my favorite.

  7. #7
    sestoppelman's Avatar
    sestoppelman is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,213

    Member of NRA, NA Hunt Club

    Hunted Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa

    Default

    I too have a fine shooting M1, an H&R that I got from the DCM program when I was still shooting High Power competition. Those rifles were a pig in a poke as to what you would get. For once I got lucky and got a beauty! Fine new barrel, perfect cut chamber, brass last for as many loadings as I can stand to look at them. Did well with it in the matches, won the local M1 match with it one year by a large margin. It is one of those guns I will be planted with. '06 of course! Have found no better load than 48.5 grs of IMR 4064 in Win cases, CCI 200 primer behind a 168 Sierra or Nosler match. Back when the Nosler Solid Base bullets were still around it was phenominal, but it shoots the new Nosler almost as well. It helped when I still had really good vision which at 57 I no longer have.

  8. #8
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,211

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    Default

    I probably should say my 300 Win Mag in a Browning A Bolt is my favorite gun...it has killed a lot of game.

    But my Browning Bar in a 30-06 is my favorite. A lot of people like to put the 30-06 down. But the fact is it has killed a ton of game! The ammo is widely available and is cheaper than other calibers. The recoil is very manageable. Unless a person hunts cape buffalo or elephant....he has a gun that can do anything.

  9. #9
    RickB's Avatar
    RickB is offline AH Fanatic
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    855

    Member of NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC

    Hunted South Africa, Germany, USA (OH, NY, VA, PA)

    Default

    I would stick with the 06. Win model 70 featherweight toped with a redfield 3x9. That is what I used on my recent trip to SA and she performed like a dream. Hornady superformace 180grn interbond. 2900 fps almost puts it to the .300 mag velocities. Thats my favorite.

  10. #10
    Poucher is online now AH Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    44
    Poucher has no Photos

    Default

    Custom 308 win. builded on a BRNO 601 action, M-S carbine 20 inch barrell, gets the job done every time.

  11. #11
    lwaters's Avatar
    lwaters is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    226

    Hunted Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho

    Default

    I am not one to believe that all cartridge development stopped with the 30-06 but it has not advance as much as the gun companies would like you to believe. A modern action with a 24 in barrel the 30-06 will do about anything the magnums will do as far as a hunter is concerned. If you need something bigger get a 375 h&h or ruger.

  12. #12
    Paw Print's Avatar
    Paw Print is online now AH Fanatic
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    642

    Member of PHASA HSC

    Hunted South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lwaters View Post
    I am not one to believe that all cartridge development stopped with the 30-06 but it has not advance as much as the gun companies would like you to believe. A modern action with a 24 in barrel the 30-06 will do about anything the magnums will do as far as a hunter is concerned. If you need something bigger get a 375 h&h or ruger.
    Although my favourite .30 rifle is a .300 win mag,I must totally agree with this statement,most of the thirtys does basically the same job.What I like about the magnums,is that the shell capacity gives you that little more oomph when reloading the heavier bullets.
    Pieter Erasmus
    Paw Print Safaris - South Africa
    pieter@pawprintsafaris.co.za
    www.pawprintsafaris.co.za

  13. #13
    35bore's Avatar
    35bore is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,971

    Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever

    Hunted USA, South Africa, France

    Default

    I would say my favorite .308 is the 308 win. I have had very favorable results with them. Rifles include a heavy barreled Rem 700, plus a few others. Bullet weight preferred would be 165 to 168 grain. With proper bullet construction, as with any previously mentioned, should take down most four legged critters.
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche // That which does not kill me, better run like hell" Scott Smith

  14. #14
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,310

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    Although I currently do not own a .30 cal, If I were to buy one tomorrow it would be a MK V Weatherby synthetic in 30-378. Short range, long range, big stuff, small stuff it has it covered. They are as flat as you can shoot without spending 5G on a Lazeroni.

    Edit: By small stuff I am not including tiny stuff. Im sure they could explode a duiker like a gopher.
    The journey is the reward.

  15. #15
    buffybr's Avatar
    buffybr is online now AH Veteran
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    158

    Member of SCI, RMEF, Life member NRA and Manhatten (Montana) Wildlife Association

    Hunted USA(CO,MT,WY,AK,TX), Canada(NWT), Zim(Matetsi), RSA(Limpopo,KZN,Free State,Eastern Cape)

    Default

    For 30 some years, my favorite .30 caliber rifle was my .30 Gibbs. It started out as my first centerfire rifle back in 1967 when mail ordered a Model U-9 barreled action in .30-06 and a semi-finished stock from Herter's. I got my deer and elk with it just about every year in the '70s until a friend gave me a .30 Gibbs case. I thought that case looked so cool that I had to have my 06 re-chambered to the Gibbs, and in 1977 a gunsmith in Kalispell, MT made the conversion for me.

    For the next twenty years that .30 Gibbs and 180 gr Partitions kept my freezers full of elk, moose, caribou, and mountain goat meat and put 5 of those critters on my wall. In 1998 a fireforming mistake pretty much ended the career of my .30 Gibbs and I was without a .30 caliber hunting rifle for a couple of years.

    Ever since I started big game hunting in the mid '60s I've admired and wanted a Weatherby rifle. Finally in 2009 I bought a .300 Weatherby Vanguard. I've put custom stocks that I've finished and checkered on many of my rifles, so I also made one for my new .300 Wby Vanguard. This stock is AA Fancy Claro walnut that I pillar and glass bedded the action and barrel channel, then free floated the barrel. I put a mechanical recoil reducer in the stock, fitted it with a Limbsaver recoil pad, and checkered it with my favorite multi-panel wrap around pattern. I topped it with a 4-12x Leupold and had a KDF muzzle brake installed.

    It weighs just under 10 lbs and it's felt recoil is less than my .257 Ackley. It shoots several makes and weights of bullets at or under moa out to 400 meters. Since 2010 I've used my .300 Weatherby on a hunt in Texas for exotics, two Montana elk hunts, and a hunt in South Africa. I started hunting with 168 gr TSX bullets in this rifle, then switched to 168 gr TTSX bullets which were slightly more accurate. With my 168 gr TTSX bullets sighted in 2.5" high at 100 yds, this rifle has a +/- 3" point blank range out to 330 yards. So far the 10 animals that I have shot with this rifle were all one shot DRT kills out to 314 yds.

    Now my .300 Weatherby is my favorite .30 caliber rifle.

  16. #16
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,211

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
    Although I currently do not own a .30 cal, If I were to buy one tomorrow it would be a MK V Weatherby synthetic in 30-378. Short range, long range, big stuff, small stuff it has it covered. They are as flat as you can shoot without spending 5G on a Lazeroni.

    Edit: By small stuff I am not including tiny stuff. Im sure they could explode a duiker like a gopher.
    Your choice of rifle does not surprise me....LOL, that is missle launcher! Very, deadly!!!

  17. #17
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,310

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enysse View Post
    Your choice of rifle does not surprise me....LOL, that is missle launcher! Very, deadly!!!
    LOL, Am I really that predictable? What can I say, I like a flat trajectory. At least I am consistent!

    Im sure the bullets for your 30-06 would be heavy for caliber... Im not the only consistent one.
    The journey is the reward.

  18. #18
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,310

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffybr View Post
    Now my .300 Weatherby is my favorite .30 caliber rifle.
    Sounds to me like it may be your favorite rifle period?
    The journey is the reward.

  19. #19
    bluey's Avatar
    bluey is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,019

    Member of ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers

    Hunted australia south africa (limpopo) canada (b.c)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffybr View Post
    For 30 some years, my favorite .30 caliber rifle was my .30 Gibbs. It started out as my first centerfire rifle back in 1967 when mail ordered a Model U-9 barreled action in .30-06 and a semi-finished stock from Herter's. I got my deer and elk with it just about every year in the '70s until a friend gave me a .30 Gibbs case. I thought that case looked so cool that I had to have my 06 re-chambered to the Gibbs, and in 1977 a gunsmith in Kalispell, MT made the conversion for me.

    For the next twenty years that .30 Gibbs and 180 gr Partitions kept my freezers full of elk, moose, caribou, and mountain goat meat and put 5 of those critters on my wall. In 1998 a fireforming mistake pretty much ended the career of my .30 Gibbs and I was without a .30 caliber hunting rifle for a couple of years.

    Ever since I started big game hunting in the mid '60s I've admired and wanted a Weatherby rifle. Finally in 2009 I bought a .300 Weatherby Vanguard. I've put custom stocks that I've finished and checkered on many of my rifles, so I also made one for my new .300 Wby Vanguard. This stock is AA Fancy Claro walnut that I pillar and glass bedded the action and barrel channel, then free floated the barrel. I put a mechanical recoil reducer in the stock, fitted it with a Limbsaver recoil pad, and checkered it with my favorite multi-panel wrap around pattern. I topped it with a 4-12x Leupold and had a KDF muzzle brake installed.

    It weighs just under 10 lbs and it's felt recoil is less than my .257 Ackley. It shoots several makes and weights of bullets at or under moa out to 400 meters. Since 2010 I've used my .300 Weatherby on a hunt in Texas for exotics, two Montana elk hunts, and a hunt in South Africa. I started hunting with 168 gr TSX bullets in this rifle, then switched to 168 gr TTSX bullets which were slightly more accurate. With my 168 gr TTSX bullets sighted in 2.5" high at 100 yds, this rifle has a +/- 3" point blank range out to 330 yards. So far the 10 animals that I have shot with this rifle were all one shot DRT kills out to 314 yds.

    Now my .300 Weatherby is my favorite .30 caliber rifle.

    nicely said buffy , can tell you mean every word of it ,mate

    my favorite 30 cal is my 300 ultra mag .purely for the accurracy lm seeing with it with the reciepe im using ,reloading
    its a model 700 sps in stainless synthetis
    floated and glass bedded , and the trigger is a tad over 2 lbs, way to light to stalk with , the only hunting l choose to do with it is sitting and glassing
    the longest shot ive snaggred with it is over 1300 metres ,which was p.d.l
    but ive watched the bullet slam into the shoulder of a half grown samba hind at 515 metres that was ranged with a burris laser scope ,2 seconds before her soul left the body
    its braked as most of my hunting firearms are .
    ive just purchased some berger projectiles , for target shooting to see if l can get serious with the long range stuff .

    but the first riffle l grab when going for a walk locally for deer is my 30.06 ,with out ever a second look .
    its like an extension of my left hand me and it are mates .
    its a stainless synthetic m77 ruger ,braked and floated barrel on a pedestal instead of glass beeded
    and the trigger is set at 3 lbs.

  20. #20
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,310

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluey View Post
    its like an extension of my left hand me and it are mates .
    I love shooting a gun like that, so familiar that is like it is a part of you. Real natural.
    The journey is the reward.

Similar Threads

  1. My Favorite Animal
    By Bobpuckett in forum Humorous Jokes, Stories or Pictures
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 11:21 AM
  2. Favorite Rifle
    By jaustin in forum Up To .375
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
  3. Whats your favorite?
    By WST416 in forum Hunting Africa
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 07:09 PM
  4. Favorite broadheads?!?!
    By TOM in forum Bowhunting Africa
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 08:28 AM
  5. My favorite hunting moment..... so far!
    By BryceM in forum Hunting North America
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •