Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Harare (AFP) - Zimbabwe's wildlife authorities on Saturday announced restrictions on hunting around the country's biggest game reserve following the killing of a much-loved lion by a US dentist.

"Hunting of lions, leopards and elephant in areas outside of Hwange National Park has been suspended with immediate effect," Edson Chidziya, head of Zimbabwe's parks and wildlife authority Zimparks, said in a statement.

The parks body also suspended hunting with bows and arrows, except with permission from the authority's head.

"All such hunts will only be conducted if confirmed and authorized in writing by the Director-General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, and only if accompanied by parks staff," Chidziya said.

The clampdown follows an international furore over the killing of Cecil the lion, a favourite with international tourists, who was shot with a bow and arrow by Walter Palmer outside Hwange park in early July.

The lion, which lived in the park, was lured outside its boundaries by bait.

After shooting the feline, Palmer, who was accompanied by local guide Theo Bronkhorst, then trailed the injured beast for 40 hours before finishing him off with a gun.

The death of the iconic lion, renowned for his distinctive black mane, sparked global outrage, with some animal rights activists calling for Palmer's death.

Bronkhorst is due to appear in court on August 5 on a charge of "failing to prevent an illegal hunt".

Environment Minister Oppah Muchinguri has meanwhile appealed for the United States to extradite Palmer so he can be brought to justice.

Chidziya said the authority had joined forces with the police in a crackdown "to weed out any undesirable elements".

"The Authority will not hesitate to arrest, prosecute, and ban for life any persons including professional hunters, clients and land owners who are caught on the wrong side of the law," he said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross