Zimbabwe Parks " New Ruling"

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
http://www.zimparks.org/index.php/m...ks-and-wildlife-management-authority-on-measu

PRESS STATEMENT BY ZIMBABWE PARKS AND WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY ON MEASURES TO IMPROVE THE ADMINISTARTION OF HUNTING IN THE COUNTRY

Following the illegal killing of an iconic lion, Cecil, outside the Hwange National Park on Antoinette farm in Gwayi River Conservancy on the 1st of July 2015, it has become necessary that the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority further tightens hunting regulations in all areas outside the Parks Estate.

The Authority working with other law enforcement agencies has launched a crackdown to weed out any undesirable elements. To date our law enforcement agencies are following up on all found or reported cases and they have since arrested another culprit, Headman Sibanda, on allegations of breaching hunting regulations. He is currently assisting Police with investigations.

Further to that crackdown the following measures are going to be implemented immediately;

1. Hunting of lions, leopards and elephant in areas outside of Hwange National Parks has been suspended with immediate effect. All such hunts will only be conducted if confirmed and authorized in writing by the Director-General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, and only if accompanied by parks staff whose costs will be met by the landowner.

2. Bow hunting has been suspended with immediate effect and no such hunting will be conducted unLESS it has been confirmed and authorized in writing by the Director-General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority.

3. Members of the hunting fraternity are being reminded that it is illegal for quotas to be transferred from one hunting area to another. Any case of quota transfer is regarded as poaching. The Authority will not hesitate to arrest, prosecute, and ban for life any persons including professional hunters, clients and land owners who are caught on the wrong side of the law.

All players in the hunting industry are being reminded to familiarize themselves with the relevant statutes governing the wildlife industry. Further, the Authority would like to appeal to all members of the public that they should report any SUSPECTED illegal WILDLIFE activities to the nearest offices of Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, Zimbabwe Republic Police and other Government law enforcement agencies.

E. Chidziya

DIRECTOR-GENERAL

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard this was the case. Thanks for posting the link.

IMHO not sure there are many hunters that want to go to Zimbabwe right now. And not because of the outrage, but notable PHs, DSC, SCI, US govt, there seems to be no shortage of people willing to throw you under the bus.

Reactions: lcq
Well at least they are short and to the point...

A one pager!!!

If that same notice had come from USFWS it would have been 372 pages long, not including the addendums and references.

Feel for the guy who saved for years and booked a cat or elephant hunt in an area adjoining Hwange and landed in Bulawayo or VF today.

Don't you love governments with their knee jerk reactions.

Afraid this event will have a chilling effect on the African safari industry across the board. Reading about how FWS here is pursuing the hunter of Cecil sort of gives me the willies having just spent some "quality" time with them myself recently.:(:eek::rolleyes:

Item 3 about quota swapping has my eyebrows raised. I've read about this practice on other places and from what I gathered it was legal, though in my opinion it goes against wise management. It was also speculated by some that this was in the mix of the Cecil soap opera.

This could screw up some hunts but everything they said was stopped could still be done with written permission. Its probably just being done to make the sheep happy until they forget about this in a couple weeks.

Does written permission = cash donation?
That was my first thought. Makes the anti's happy and more money in their pockets. Their will probably be plenty of paperwork fee's. I can deal with this, I just hope they don't pull an even more stupid move like Botswana.

Last edited:
Folks hunting will still take place as is the norm, the only difference will be the hunts around the Gwaai will be scrutinised and signed off by the DG for authenticity.
As for quota transfers it is about time this was halted as we at ZPHGA and SOAZ have been asking parks for years to stop this...you either have a quota or not.

Folks hunting will still take place as is the norm, the only difference will be the hunts around the Gwaai will be scrutinised and signed off by the DG for authenticity.
As for quota transfers it is about time this was halted as we at ZPHGA and SOAZ have been asking parks for years to stop this...you either have a quota or not.

Thanks for the clarification.

Afraid this event will have a chilling effect on the African safari industry across the board. Reading about how FWS here is pursuing the hunter of Cecil sort of gives me the willies having just spent some "quality" time with them myself recently.:(:eek::rolleyes:
2 more years before Barry is gone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber