warthog

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI NRA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Manitoba, Quebec, Sask., British Columbia, and over the US
Not much of a typist but here goes. My wife, two sons and I have just recently returned from our safari with Mazunga. This was my third safari and their second. Overall it was a good hunt, but not a great one. My wife collected her giraffe which was her only shooting goal. My two sons shot baboon, zebra, waterbuck, duiker, warthog,and impala between the two of them. All very nice animals. My oldest son and I both shot spotted hyena, great trophies! My main quest was for a eland but we saw very few and no mature bulls at all. That's hunting and I know it, but still disappointed in number we saw in our area. Mazunga is a million acre conservancy, but beware, it is split up into nine smaller areas and the area you are in is basically the only area you will hunt. Not really advertised that way. We hunted the Malagani area. Lots of general game and did pass on three kudus between 54 and 58 inches. Also a 32 inch wildebeest and what the ph said was well over a 40 inch sable. Had a very comfortable camp and good food, just spent to much time in it for my liking. Did have a leopard come into our hyena bait one night! Saw lots of buffalo, some elephant one lion and lots of plains game in the Fimbiri area to our west. Very nice camp there, would be my choice over Malangani if I went back. If anyones interested or going that way feel free to call me anytime at 701 739 4868 central time zone,would way rather talk then type. Kelly [Warthog]

Last edited:
sounds like you and the family had an excellent trip .
handy to know how conservancy is broken up .
why did you spend so much time in camp ?
sound also ,that theres many great animals in the area you were allocated ,
big hell yeah , for being able to pass on a 58 inch kudu , id dislocate my knee kicking my self up the ass , for doing something like that ........
thanks for sharing the adventure with us ,all.......

better luck on your eland , next trip

The kudu was VERY hard to pass on but already have 3 at home, smaller of course. As for time in camp the ph liked to go back every day and take a 2 hour break, didn't mind the break so much but would have preferred to do it at a waterhole or something, mentioned it but didn't get very far. Yes it was a good trip, just got spoiled on previous trips I guess.

Hard to pass on a Kudu of that size. For me they are kinda of like Lays potato chips. Can't just have one. I understand some of what you're saying. Good, but not great safari. My last one one was that way. I keep telling myself to remember the positives. For you and your son to of both taken spotted hyenas is exceptional. Quite the accomplishment. Congrats. Bruce

You seem a little disappointed, Kelly, unfortunately that´s how it goes sometimes.

We would still like to see some pics ;)

I'm sorry you didn't get your Eland, but your family still had one hell of a bag! Your sons have now out done many of us old farts by actually taking African game! First or not, they beat me so far! Congrats and welcome home!

Sounds like you and your family had a good hunt. Congratulations. Sorry about the Eland.

If you could post pics it would be great.

I hunted with Mazunga in '13 out of the Dyers Camp. Excellent accommodations. Food was OK. Even my PH commented that the food could have been better. But the entire staff was helpful and courtious.
This was my first safari and my main goal was a Cape buffalo. I took a nice, heavy bossed 38" on day four of a 14 day hunt. I also took zebra, warthog, three Impala, two blue wildebeest, waterbuck, kudu and a bushbuck.
What Warthog stated about staying in your area is mostly true, but we had permission to go to another area for the bushbuck. We had no problem finding animals within our area. Even bushbuck, but there weren't a lot of them there. That's why we went to the other area. The reasoning is simple, so hunting parties don't overlap.
We did visit three other camps and they were all nice. On one of these visits I met a nice German fellow who had just taken a beautiful 54" kudu.
Great hunt... I'd go back in a heartbeat.

This deserves its own thread and more details!!! Please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,