Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Zimbabwe journalists arrested over elephant poisoning story

10 hours ago

Harare (AFP) - Zimbabwean police on Tuesday arrested three journalists at a state newspaper over a story implicating police and parks officers in the poisoning of some 60 elephants, saying their report was false.

Authorities arrested Sunday Mail editor Mabasa Sasa, the paper's investigations editor Brian Chitemba and reporter Tinashe Farawo late Monday. They are being held at Harare Central Police Station.

The trio are charged with "communicating false statements prejudicial to the state," police spokeswoman Charity Charamba told reporters in the capital.

The newspaper report alleged that a police assistant commissioner, rangers in the parks and wildlife department, an Asian businessman and several junior officers were being investigated for the recent poisoning of at least 60 elephants in separate incidents.

The police however said there was no internal investigation being conducted into their officers who were allegedly involved in elephant poaching and that the story was untrue.

"The editor and reporters of The Sunday Mail cannot be allowed to hide behind the privilege of journalism to peddle falsehoods," said Charamba.

The front page of Zimbabwean government-owned newspaper the Sunday Mail is pictured in Harare on Dec …
"We therefore appeal to all journalists to verify all sensitive information with a view of writing accurate information."

A media watchdog, the Voluntary Media Council of Zimbabwe (VMCZ) condemned the journalists' arrest.

"It's barbaric in a democracy. It infringes on the constitution which provides for freedom of expression," said VMCZ director Loughty Dube.

"The police should simply have asked for a retraction, issued a statement with the correct position or registered their complaint through VMCZ."

Charamba also announced that police had in August arrested a man at Harare international airport with 62 elephant tusks weighing 618 kilogrammes (1,360 pounds) worth $154,000.

Last month, two other men were arrested for illegally possessing ivory and firearms.

In another separate case, two men were also arrested last month for stealing 100 kilogrammes (220 pounds) of cyanide at a factory warehouse in the second city of Bulawayo.

Scores of elephants have died from poisoning by suspected poachers near Zimbabwe's main game reserve and near the border with Botswana in recent months.

Some of the carcasses were found without tusks.

Officers from the parks department have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Attachments

• bb7697688ea35c74c470ba11891049c5bd157aa1.jpg
    bb7697688ea35c74c470ba11891049c5bd157aa1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 104
  • d19448d6-6aaa-4359-a768-eadacf5fbca9_afp-gif_new.gif
    d19448d6-6aaa-4359-a768-eadacf5fbca9_afp-gif_new.gif
    2 KB · Views: 109
So they arrested the officers involved, and then they arrested the journalists for reporting it. That makes so much sense...... what the hell is going on over there?

So they arrested the officers involved, and then they arrested the journalists for reporting it. That makes so much sense...... what the hell is going on over there?

Situation normal, all "screwed" up. Nothing new.

When ever our government seems FUBAR I like to look at Zimbabwe. It makes me feel better....

That country is nothing but a mess! Wonder if this report is true??? Bet it isn't either.

I agree with that. Although I don't think I would be super upset if certain journalists were thrown in jail...

LOL!
Sound great I agree, but what a slippery slope.... yikes...

That country is nothing but a mess! Wonder if this report is true??? Bet it isn't either.

The report came from the government AND the media, so it has to be true, doesn't it???? :whistle::whistle::whistle:

These things happen here in Africa often. The truth will come out sooner or later! obviously if they arrested the journalists they have something to hide....

MOST DEFINITELY agree with Petrus Geldenhuys on this one. On a previous post I mentioned my elephant hunt in Zimbabwe near Gonarezhou Reserve where entire herds of elephant were being poisoned at water holes... LOCK, STOCK & BARREL!! Disgusting to say the least. Whether or not the Govt depts. were involve say, but poisoned they were!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois