ZIMBABWE: Does anyone have experience with Mabalengwe Safaris Matetsi Unit 1 Zimbabwe?

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports' started by bmbclnts, Mar 2, 2011.

1. bmbclnts

bmbclnts New Member

Does anyone have experience with Mabalengwe Safaris in Zimbabwe. They operate in Matetsi Unit 1 (Zimbabwe)

Thanks
  2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    My only experience with Mabalengwe was meeting one of their representatives at the ISE show in Phoenix this past weekend. Tim Farren, a regular here on AH, represents them here in the U.S., I would suggest contacting him for a reference list. FWIW, the rep I met was very professional, more interested in knowing what I was looking for and showing what they offered versus jumping immediately into price. Perhaps it's just me, but that's the way I think things should be done. Their proximity to Victoria Falls I would consider a plus if you've never been there.
  3. acefire

acefire New Member

Yes, great hunting area, great food, great camp, BUT BUT, I was hunting with African Silwane in Unit 1, The owner and now the Safari operator was the only problem that I had. Used all sable quota before I got there. Rodger said I should come earlier in the year. I told him this was booked almost one year in advance. Trying to get a leopard was not easy, but that hunting. Right. Could have easily shoot a female, but not legal. Rodger suggested to go ahead and then bribe the local officer. Rodger does think the rules apply to him. Be very very careful.
  4. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Welcome to AH, acefire! Thanks for the hunt report!
  5. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Acefire

Welcome to AH...would you take some additional time to further explain your safari...and comments about he outfitter and PH.

AS you said most of us on her book our safari one to two years out to go where we think we will have a great chance at the trophies we want to go after...

Thank you

6. acefire

acefire New Member

Sure, I was hunting with African Silwane Outfitter. Aug. 2008. We hunted Unit 1. This was booked before Jan. 2008. Buffalo, Leopard, Sable, plains game. When I got there Rodger the owner had used all the sable quotas, he told me I should have came earlier in the year. Leopard hunting is,(or was) only during daylight hours. We run 10-11 baits for 15 days. Could never get a male on bait during legal shooting time. Rodger suggested shooting a female ( not legal) and paying the fines. At the end of the hunt Rodger tried to increase my daily fees and the trophy fees. African Silwane took care of this me. The PH was Darren Elermann with African Silwane. He butted heads with Rodger quite often. I believe that he still owes Darren money. The PH and outfitter were great it was Rodger That was the problem. Now Rodger is running his own outfitters service. I do not know who is the PH. If you have any specific question I will be happy to answer.
  7. Rastaman

Rastaman AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI
    There has been some confusion in the matetsi blocks the last few years. Multiple people have reported problems and quota issues. I suspect the concessions have gone to Mugabe supporters and they are running things a bit off page. Whatever the issue the area still holds good game in unit 1 and unit 4. There was a group last year that showed up with no available quota and parks moved them to a camp in the valley.
  8. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DU, DSC
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania
    Rastaman,

Where have you been.... Zimbabwe?... I hope.

Tim Farren (Tim416) spent several months in Matetsi 1 this year. I am planning to call him tomorrow, maybe he can comment on this thread.
  9. Rastaman

Rastaman AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI
    Just got in from Spain. Too chicken to Run with the bulls!!! Would love to hear some current news on matetsi. Have hunted unit one and four. Great place but,like I said, some major political craziness the last few years. I would need to know where my money is going. Heard the lodge in unit 4 burned down a few years ago. What a view from that place! Looking for an affordable elephant or lion hunt before end of this year.
  10. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DU, DSC
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania
    Affordable and lion usually are not in the same sentence these days. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that my lion will be lioness which I think makes a cool mount anyway.
  11. Abe Smit

Abe Smit New Member

Member of:
    Zimbabwe Hunters Association
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    Elephant/Leopard

I am sure we can do you a good value Elephant/Leopard hunt in Nyatana Wilderness this year. Check us out on our website or contact me by email.
  12. M. Egan

M. Egan AH Senior Member

Member of:
    SCI MWF DU Canada MWF DU RMEF
    Hunted:
    canada US RSA Zimbabwe
    I hunted Metetsi 4 in 2010 with Selwane and PH Darren Elerman.
    The hunt was in April which is a little early and things were still quite wet. Darren did all he could to get me my animals and we were successful. It seemed that sometimes, Darren was having to go behind the scenes to get us the things he thought we should have at the lodge. Darren is very professional and never let on about bussiness but I could feel his frustrations many times.
    The lodge was great, the hunt was great, the staff was also wonderful.
    I had already made arrangements to have my dip, pack and ship done by an operator that I found on this site. This seemed to upset the lodge manager a little but not much was said.When the needed paperwork should have been submitted, no action was taken. I feel that if it wasn't for Selwane and my dip and pack company, I would never have seen my trophies.
    All this said, I would hunt again with both Selwane and Darren E. I have found that things in Africa and especialy Zim don't happen the way that we are used to in North America and taking that into account I think I would probably go back to Matetsi again. I think I would avoid Impi Safaris who were running the camp.
    I am speaking from very limited experience having only hunted Metetsi once .
    My 2 cents
    Mike Egan