Zimbabwe Bow Permits

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by BRICKBURN, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Since I am dragging my bow along I started to try and determine who required a bow permit.

In the country profile here on AH I found the following:

Importation of Bows & Arrows into Zimbabwe
    It is legal for hunters to import bows for bowhunting purposes into Zimbabwe and no import permit is required.

This is not the case currently.
    Import permits are required to enter Zimbabwe now, under some circumstances.
    It is also hit and miss, as always at customs. Some gat asked some don't. You decide.

You can not apply at the border, as you can for rifles.
    Apparently the permit fee is $400.00 USD

If you show up without one in hand, guess who keeps your bow (in storage hopefully/ with a fee of course for storage)

So, another $400 touch just to bring your bow.

Namibia, Botswana and South Africa are looking good on this front for sure.

2. Wolverine67

Wolverine67 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, SHAC, RW Guild
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa
    Well, somebody sure knows how to squese the lemon....

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    Cash grab.

It seems to me that Zim is doing everything it can to discourage hunters from travelling there.

4. Stretch

Stretch AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA , Canada, Botswana
    Did you find out how to apply for a bow permit in advance? What about carrying the current regulations with you as proof.
    Are you going to spend the $400.00 in advance, just in case? The outfitters need to jump on this so they can provide clients
    or potential clients with the correct info. This may discourage some hunters from hunting there.

5. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Thanks BRICKBURN for this important change, I updated the information page for Zimbabwe. Should anyone has further information please share it here.

6. Fritz Rabe

Fritz Rabe AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA, South African Bowhunting Association (SABA) Instructor, NSRI
    Hunted:
    SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Mozambique, Ethipoia, Cameroon, CAR, Tanzania, Canada, USA, Spain
    I have never had the need to apply for a bow permit to Zimbabwe. Been through the border hundreds of times with no problems. Some officials like to throw their weight around. Do not get intimidated by them.
    If the law changed then it did so in the past month as I was there at the end of June with a bow.

It will be good to travel with an updated copy of the legislation on your person and produce that when stopped. Maybe some of the Zim guys on the forum can supply one here that can be downloaded for use.

7. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Fritz,
    Do you have a link for a copy of the legislation for us?

This just occurred to someone. Perhaps someone at the border was doing a personal collection at the border.
    Several bow hunters have been successfully fleeced then if this is not true!!
    Neither prospect is good news.

8. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    This is a fee from Zimparks way down in the notes.

"Special hunting permits(Inclu using bow & arrow, & handgun)..... US$400.00"

Perhaps it relates to hunting in specific areas.
    Make sure you talk to your PH.

The link
    Licence and Permits

9. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    Your outfitter should be able to secure these for you in advance of your hunt. I took my bow in 2009 on my buffalo hunt and had no issues whatsoever. However, I did have it packed in my duffle bag and not in a case advertising for all to see that it was a bow.

I think this new $400 regulation is ridiculous and yet another stab at the hunter attempting to bring tourism and money into the country. It honestly saddens me.

10. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    Who with and what will you be hunting in Zim Brick?

11. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    Hey Brick....Just got this off another Forum site:

Posted 31 July 2012 11:42
    For anybody traveling to bulawayo be aware that you now are required to have a permit for your bow. It is not something you can get at the airport as with your rifle. It must be done prior to your arrival. My bow is still sitting in customs, or so I hope. They are charging me $2/ day storage. There were several other hunters in the same boat. The permit is $400 and must come from your the parks dept. so your PH apparently has to get it before your arrival. Apparently in Harare th is is not the case. So just a heads up for any bow hunters, check with your PH, apparently this is something new. But I know of 4 hunters in the last two weeks in the same boat. If you get here w/o permit, they will impound it and then you can get a permit and thenpick it up, but it may be a couple of days.

12. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Another money grab! This stuff has to stop!

13. tim416

tim416 AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    I have sent a message to a PH friend of mine in Zim that is part of the Zimbabwe bowhhunters association.
    I as soon as I hear back I will pass the info along.
    I am thinking that this is possibly due to the area being hunted. The government concessions typically do not allow bowhunting. Exceptions can be sometimes made by applying for a permit to bowhunt or handgun hunt in these areas. The handgun hunting permit, I believe is $200.00 and $400.00 for a bowhunting permit. We did a buffalo handgun hunt two years ago but I have not done a bowhunt in Zim for many years so may stand corrected.

14. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    After finding out there was a possibility for a permit fee for some places I thought this might require some updating.

Look forward to anything you do find out Tim.

15. Fritz Rabe

Fritz Rabe AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA, South African Bowhunting Association (SABA) Instructor, NSRI
    Hunted:
    SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Mozambique, Ethipoia, Cameroon, CAR, Tanzania, Canada, USA, Spain
    Just to clarify what I posted previously.
    You do need a permit to hunt in certain areas with a bow. That is different to the permit for importing and transporting a bow in the country. As stated before. I have never been asked for any permit to brig a bow into Zim. My bows were inspected every time I entered the country but never was I asked for an import permit.

If this has changed since then someone that knows the true facts must please keep us informed as I have a few clients that are looking to bow hunt there in the near future.