ZIMBABWE: Bad hunt with Shingani Safaris

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports' started by Thomas Taxidermy, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Thomas Taxidermy

Thomas Taxidermy AH Member

Hunted:
    Soutj Africa Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada, Russia
    I purchased a hunt at the SCI convention in 2009 with Shingani Safaris. The hunt was for buffalo and was to take place in the Binga area. My friend and I also wanted Sable. Riaan said this was no problem. We also paid for a 1 on 1 hunt. Riaan Vosloo told me that he would be my PH on the hunt.
    We bought tickets to Vic Falls and 12 hours before we were to leave the states I get an email saying change of plans, picking you up in Joburg!!!!!!!!
    We get to Joburg and are met by a young ph and taken to Shinganis South African headquarters. I find out Riaan has two other buffalo hunters and already left with them for Zimbabwe. The next morning we leave and drive to the border. Riaan has a guy meet us to help obtain gun permits. Long story short we get cheated out of $200 per gun, having 2 guns, I'm out $400 and also the $500 airline ticket to Vic Falls. A bad start! Riaan's response is "oh that's to bad"
    After driving for hours looking for the camp we arrive.
    Riaan is pretty cold to us.
    We find out he has two guys on our hunt and now it is a 2 on 1 hunt. Riaan says we'll have our buffalo and be out of here in 3-5 days????? What about Sable?
    Well now we are in the Crooks (perfect name for this hunt) corner area and there are no Sable here. Riaans clients kill the first 2 buffalo they saw and left with him the 2nd day of the hunt. One is a tiny inmature bull. I shot a bull the 2nd day (only buffalo I saw in 5 days) and my friend finally saw a bull the 5th day and shot it.
    Riaan also left with the only 4x4 truck and we were left with a 2 wheel drive. Of course we were stuck every day. Also the drinking water in camp ran out after day 3! We had to boil water and had only 2 20 ounce bottle to drink a day! Mind you it was well over a hundred degrees every day!
    My dream hunt wasn't at all what I had hoped it would be and as of yet, I still have never seen my trophy. I was told it was delivered to the dip and pack place last October, but found out today only the cape is there.
    So after all that I end up with no buffalo!

We left Zimbabwe and returned to SA and hunted a few days. I took a kudu and bushbuck and my friend a kudu and 14 inch warthog! Our capes and skins were unmountable when we got them and my friends huge warthog wasn't in the crate! He contacted Shingani but was told they would look into it. You guessed it, no reply!

Best advice is steer clear of Riaan Vosloo and Shingani Safaris!

2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Lost posts...

3. C.J.Hachtel

C.J.Hachtel New Member

Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Shingani and SCI donation

Good afternoon,
    I just wanted to comment on the statement that Riaan Vosloo had been arrested for illegally hunting in the National Park in Zimbabwe this past October 2011.

We were present at that hunt and Riaan was definitely not arrested. He voluntarily went into the police station to answer questions about a possible poaching accusation made by the Zimbabwe anti-poaching patrol.

The Zimbabwe police came into our camp that morning and looked around the camp. Several minutes later the Zimbabwe anti-poaching patrol stormed in, exceptionally rude and took out a cape buffalo and our sable.

The main man with the anti-poaching patrol told us - my husband, and 2 other Americans who were standing outside, to take our S*** and go back to South Africa - you're not wanted here. We asked what he was talking about and then he recanted his statement with "Oh, you're not South Africans, are you the clients?" We stated we were clients and he apologized for his statement but was still very arrogant and spewing off untrue statements about this being Riaan's second offense which was totally untrue.

We have hunted with Riaan several times and have never gotten less than we were promised - all of our trophies and our relatives trophies have arrived in perfect condition and were the animals that we shot. All totalled there were over 60 animals of mulitple species and were told up front it would take approx 18 months to receive them.

Riaan was questioned for over 6 hours at the police station before being released with the anti-poaching patrol having to load the trophies back into his vehicle upon his departure. The police had nothing on him - it was cleared by the Minister of the Parks of Zimbabwe and he was free to go.

I don't know who started the rumor of Riaan being arrested as he obviously was not present at the time and we were and know first hand what went down.

We were highly disappointed in SCI's action in withdrawing Riaan's last donation item at the Vegas show without proof of the acusation made, I am guessing by 1 person, here we are innocent until proven guilty - not the other way around.

We understand that some outfitters in Zimbabwe are upset with the infiltration of South African outfitters but if the South African outfitters have the clients and the permits to hunt it is just a pay off for their hard work in getting the clients. In my opinion the way the Zimbabwe anti-poaching people handled themselves was that they were jealous of the fact that South African outfitters were able to bring more business to Zimbabwe and that if the Zimbabwe outfitters were to bad-mouth the South African outfitters they would in turn get more business.

4. Thomas Taxidermy

Hunted:
    CJ I'm not the one that started the rumor that Riaan was arrested. I also admire his clients that had good hunts with him sticking up for him. I'm also glad you have always gotten what was promised to you by Riaan.
    The fact I didn't get what was promised to me is still the truth. Maybe me and my friend were just the unlucky ones. Not sure why everything about our hunt got changed at the last minute and also not sure why we never got an explaination as to why it happened.
    I did get a photo of my buffalo skull from the taxidermist today, and have to thank Riaan for making that happen. I wish that it hadn't taken me speaking out against Riaan and or the threats from my friend to make this happen.
    We are praying that all paperwork is in order and we receive our buffalo. It would nice to just put all tihs behind us.

5. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    Mmmmm Shows two sides to a story, would be interesting to hear what the motivation was, I for one am getting more and more aprehensive about taking my old clients to zim, although I am working alongside a reputable Zimbawean company and Zim ph. There is so much smoke blowing and skull digging going on that you as a South African outfitter do not know what to do anymore.

And by association you can be implicated in a complete s--t storm simply by association.

I do not sell these hunts to start off with, but fulfill my return clientle's requests to still hunt with me but in different areas as they trust me through previous experiences. There are multiple guilty parties from both sides both South African and Zimbabwe don't even tell me that all Zimbabweans are innocent. The simple fact of the matter is that the current situation holds nothing good for Zimbabwe and its hunting industry.

It is almost impossible for me to find reliable sources and areas to take my clients to because I never know who is lying, I also find it highly amusing that Zimbabwe's closest neighbour (SA) have so much sympathy/empathy for what has happened there and we try to receive and help werever we can but we are being hated by Zimbabweans and so called well informed clients, as South African operators. It is almost as if some guys have placed themselves on a pedestal, by no means the norm but very true of a few.

I have had many interesting nights with Mike Buns (Spelling), John Sharp and acouple other Zimbabwean Professionals and found it humbling to see how these old timers respected me as a professional guide... and for me it was just too overwhelming to be in their presence. I truely hope that the mess can be sorted from both sides, and that the glory days of Zimbabwean hunting may be relived or revived.

It is a far to beautifull and wonderfull place to be caught up in such a constant issue.

My best always.

6. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DU, DSC
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania
    Jaco,

I am pretty certain the allegations of the arrest for hunting in Zambezi National Park was not the reason Riann's hunt was pulled at SCI. To my knowledge it involved allegations of illegal hunting in another area confirmed by the client on the hunt.

At times I fear hunting in Zim is a loss cause. But when you meet and spend time with the good guys in the business it is easy to want to go back and support them. You have mentioned John Sharp and Buzz Charlton in previous posts. How come is it never their names (or plenty of other very good Zim PHs) come up in these conversations. The reason is they operate legal and above board.

Contrary to popular belief I respect the South African guys that go to Zim and hunt legally. Legally means a licensed Zim PH in a licensed Zim vehicle in an area with proper quota.

Parks is a shamble. There is no money and corruption. Hunts are being sold in the Parks Hwange, Zambezi, etc. and it is not just to South Africans. Unfortunately for every South African hunting illegally in Zim there is a Zim resident supporting it.

Many companies are abusing the rules. The auction areas are seeing significant abuses. Far too many permits are being issued and system is being abused.
    I have brought this up on the forum before. Kalulu Safaris is selling ration quota as trophy in the Matetsi Blocks, including the photographic areas. While that act in itself may be legal (however unethical) it is 100 percent illegal to export the trophies, which is being done. Before anybody accuses me of making this up here is the email exchange between myself and Joe Da silva with Kalulu. All of these abuses regardless of who is involved need to be brought in the open.

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:07 AM
    To: 'kburke2006'
    Subject: RE: Matetsi Unit 6

100 percent exported Mike-as we pay the Parks the full price for the trophy fees, so they get a double bonus meat and money which they put into maintaining the Parks and they look after from area 1-7 in the Matetsi.
    Thanks for your e-mail.
    Best regards
    Joe

Sent: 22 February 2011 14:05
    To: Joe Da Silva
    Subject: Re: Matetsi Unit 6

Joe,

Since it is a ration quota are the trophies exportable?

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 22, 2011, at 1:34 AM, "Joe Da Silva" <parowarms@mweb.co.za> wrote:
    Hello Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail and also thanks for your comments on our web-page.

Regarding your question, yes the General still owns area 6 however our agreement is with National Parks which they own the whole Matetsi area from 1 to 7 they have their own allocation which was suppose to be rations but in turn are selling them to P.H's , we have the agreement with them and have taken the whole quota of game for ourselves.

We have no agreement with the General at all.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Best Regards
    Joe

Sent: 21 February 2011 14:53
    To: parowarms@mweb.co.za
    Subject: Matetsi Unit 6

Joe,

Nice looking site and good hunting area.

Does General Constantine Chiwenga and/or his wife still own the Matetsi Safari Unit 6 or at least the hunting rights. Being from SA you have a Zim partner. Are the Chiwenga's your partner?

Kindest Regards,

Mike Burke

I could continue about alot of things concerning Vosloo including ties to Kalulu, but SCI made the correct decision.

When booking a hunt in Zim I beg you to book with a reputable Zim company or at least reputable South African company that uses one of the long standing companies in Zim.

CJ,

Out of curiousity, who was your PH and what specific area did you hunt?

7. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    Mike,
    I do, and have been doing for some time 13 years +, Zim needs to clean their house, South Africans can not be blamed because parks is a mess, they need to crack down on their people as well, and in the same breath PHASA should clamp down from their side, the whole situation is a mess,
    What would your opinion be of so called reputable Zim outfitters operating on both leagal and areas/individuals that are banned by the US, they have buttered their bread on both sides.... I am reffering to large players.....

This is not a uncommon occurance, I am not about to start calling names but I am just stating the truth, there are more than one reputable company in Zim that has made shady deals with generals or undesirable individuals without any South African involvement... My exact reason for stating smoke screens and diversions.

It is a mess regardless of South African involvement or not, there is a split between native Zim Ph's regarding this exact subject some guys find themselves torn because of work availibility and have families to support, My point is that the issue runs much deeper than what the average guys sees, sure that you are fully aware of this though.

Zim is very close to my heart and it is a passion of mine to hunt there with my clients (legally)! In another life I would have seriously considered a permanent move... I have respect for many of their PH's and have the world of empathy for of them as most of them are good guys.

As you, I just hope that it all will change for the better.

My best.

8. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DU, DSC
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania
    Jaco,

I think it will change for the better. There is a group of Zim guys willing to fight the good fight. While things are not 100% accurate, I think the forums help to educate people as to what is happening. Pressure is being placed on PHASA to help and even ZPHGA is being pushed for more help in the situation. I spoke to US Fisheries and Wildlife at SCI. They support prosecuting US citizen who are involved in the illegal hunts through the Lacy Act.

A long standing Zim PH, Dudley Rogers, was selling hunts in Hwange at SCI. I questioned his agent and posted the question the next day as to the legalities. The legality of the hunt is truly splitting hairs. IMO the quota was not issued legally under Zim law. Again IMO the hunts are truly unethical. He was selling the hunts as non-exportable, however exporting the trophies are 100 percent illegal, same as ration hunts. Every reputable Zim operator I talked to at SCI found it disgusting, unethical, and felt it was illegal. Ask Buzz what he has seen happen in Hwange on similar hunts. Dudley was not happy with me. I did used my real name and gave them all my contact info.

Could you imagine a SA operator selling hunts in Kruger? Imagine the outcry. Then imagine if foreign hunters were involved also. That is what Zim is facing.

9. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    Mike very true, I am sure that all of us are wanting this tide to turn, Hwange has been a constant source of attention and publicity, truly hoe it all gets sorted.

My best always.

10. Koedoeberg

Koedoeberg AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SA Hunters and Conservation
    Shingani

Are these the same people from " shingani scam outfitter" thread that was posted about a year ago ?

11. Thomas Taxidermy

Hunted:
    No I'm not the same guy from a year ago

12. Koedoeberg

Koedoeberg AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SA Hunters and Conservation
    Sorry Thomas , my question was asked incorrectly . I meant to ask if it is the same outfitter that someone also had a problem with about a year ago.

Didn't mean to refer to you

13. Thomas Taxidermy

Hunted:
    Now it's the end of March and still no paperwork! We were told the paperwork was stamped and would be delivered to the dip and pack a month ago!
    This ordeal has just been one lie after the other!

14. Thomas Taxidermy

Hunted:
    Now it's getting to the end of May and still no progress! Vosloo claims we are waiting on the Zim goverment for export, but the taxidermist claims they are waiting on paperwork from Vosloo. Frustrating to say the least!

15. Thomas Taxidermy

Hunted:
    Two years ago today I took the buffalo with Shingani Safaris and still no paperwork. Oviously there will never be an export permit to get my buffalo and it's time to just give up. The taxidermist has tried for months to get Riaan to produce paperwork and she is always told they will get it in a couple weeks. She admitted to us that it is hopeless at this point.

Sad to say the least!

16. Hawkeye101

Hawkeye101 New Member

Shingani is BAD!!!

Bow hunted with them in 2009 from an SCI auction.
    Game was scarce.
    Couldn't get PH out of bed.
    Hides were poor and full of baboon scat.
    Was told they had LOTS and LOTS of gemsbok - never saw one at any distance.
    The few animals we got were immature...saw none bigger .
    Took two years and dozens of emails to get my few animals back - ALL were ruined except one, one I never did get. Shingani has NO interest in getting your trophies to you. Poorly run and managed. Only wants your $$. Very amateurish and unprofessional. I've been back to RSA once and Namibia - the others were Four Star.....Shingani I would not go back to if free.

17. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)
    mate thats not good , sorry to hear .
    it certainly sounds as though you mean every word of it .
    glad your other african adventures turned out good .
    welcome and enjoy the site .

18. gi jane

gi jane BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    So sad.. I would like to know if Thomas ever had his situation resolved..