AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) — Fourteen elephants were poisoned by cyanide in Zimbabwe in three separate incidents, two years after poachers killed more than 200 elephants by poisoning, Zimbabwe's National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority said Tuesday.

Three elephants were killed in Matusadona National Park in the Kariba area in northern Zimbabwe and 11 more pachyderms were found dead in two different spots in Hwange National Park in western Zimbabwe over the past two weeks.

In all cases the elephants were killed by cyanide, according to kidney and liver samples from the dead elephants tested by the Biological Sciences Department, said parks spokeswoman Caroline Washaya Moyo.

In Kariba, poachers laced oranges with cyanide, she said, while in Hwange the poison was put on salt licks.

The ivory tusks had been cut off six elephants at one location in Hwange park but the other five elephants still had their tusks, suggesting the poachers were disrupted. The motive for the killings in Matusadona was not known.

There have been no arrests so far over the latest incidents, said Clement Munoriarwa, police commander for Mashonaland West province.

"We have had a number of poaching activities in the province, they are actually increasing each day," said Munoriarwa on state television. "Some are done through the use of firearms and, of course, we have cases where we suspect that there is cyanide poisoning."

A $400 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the poisoners has been offered by the Matusadona Anti-Poaching Project, a private organization, according to its Facebook page, which said that more elephants may have been poisoned.

In 2013, as many as 300 elephants died in Hwange park after poachers laced salt pans with cyanide. Many vultures died after feeding on the poisoned elephant carcasses and it is feared that will happen again. Cyanide is widely used in Zimbabwe's mining industry and is therefore relatively easy to obtain.

Although elephants are vulnerable across Africa, Zimbabwe has a large elephant population. The national parks estimates it has more than 100,000, although the parks land should ideally only support 40,000 elephants.

Also Tuesday, A Zambian was arrested in Zimbabwe for trying to smuggle ivory weighing 25 kilograms (55 pounds) and valued at $6,320 into South Africa. The Zambian was also found carrying a 3 meter (10 feet) python skin, according to the national parks spokeswoman.

Source: Associated Press (AP) http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9f20...imbabwe-14-elephants-killed-cyanide-poisoning

I am sure that one of them had to have a name so that CNN will carry the story.
Was it a Dentist that supplied the poison?
Maybe the guy was Spanish!

Makes you sick! :A Vomit:

Not good! I hate hearing this.

Thr greater question is why.... Then who...

Strictly from an economic perspective the locals /government would have benefited 100x this from hunters for the same elephants....

I am totally against the Botswana govt on their hunting policies, but why isn't there elephant poaching in Botswana, with the 1000's of elephant they have? Because the government doesn't take crap......just makes you

................Because the government doesn't take crap.................

The Bots government also has money!

do they still kill poachers?

We just picked 6 elle poisoned on our area bordering, Gonarezau nat. Park.
What anti hunting groups don't seem to fathom is the fact that we receive two elle on quota per anum, we also receive 1 lion per block per year, we have spent 6 years protecting the Siji pride, I passed two males on safari with DR. Pantelidis only too have the entire pride poisoned and bones retrieved for Chinese export.
Should anti hunting groups succeed, they will effectively sign the death warrant for African game, we harvest age appropriate specimens within quota, racially correct or not I do not give two shits, leave the Chinese in control and it will be a constant slaughter which will end African wildlife within half a decade.
Anyone willing to test my theory! Blugh!

We just picked 6 elle poisoned on our area bordering, Gonarezau nat. Park.
What anti hunting groups don't seem to fathom is the fact that we receive two elle on quota per anum, we also receive 1 lion per block per year, we have spent 6 years protecting the Siji pride, I passed two males on safari with DR. Pantelidis only too have the entire pride poisoned and bones retrieved for Chinese export.
Should anti hunting groups succeed, they will effectively sign the death warrant for African game, we harvest age appropriate specimens within quota, racially correct or not I do not give two shits, leave the Chinese in control and it will be a constant slaughter which will end African wildlife within half a decade.
Anyone willing to test my theory! Blugh!
Jaco,

Just like you are saying seems like when an arrest is made there is a Chinese name associated with it. Really sad to think how greed is ruining such a precious resource and undermining the efforts of so many.

The sad thing is the USA media would still blame use hunters :(

@ enysse

As the media says here in the USA, Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!