Ziess Conquest 8x42 HD

Imbambala

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
CHASA, Eastern Cape Game Management Association
I am in the market for some new binoculars. Basically my options are as follows:

1. Ziess Terras 8x42 (Cheapest)
2. Nikon Monarch 8x42 (Mid Range)
3. Ziess Conquest HD 8x42 (Most expensive)

I have my heart set on the Ziess Conquests. The other problem I have is that I must order them online (Hence I can't test them back to back).
Our local gunshop does not sell decent optics.

My criteria is basically a good hunting binocular in the 8x42 range that will last.

Get your hands on them and look through them.

I have made purchases online, but always managed to at least look through the scope or binos before ordering them.

I can tell you the HD glass is required if yo are hunting in the early morning or late evening.
Difference in light gathering is actually a fact you can see for yourself.

Can't speak to these particular units as I went with a Pentax 10X50 DCF ED

I love mine.

I bought a set of the Terra's first because I thought they were great compared to what I was using. Still a wonderful pair of binos and they live in my truck.

Then I went to a cabelas and tried all of the binos they had in the store. I settled on the Conquests as a true value. The only thing I liked more were the swaros and those are $2700. There was noting in the price range that I found that compared with the Conquests.

That said, they fit me well and I like the ergos of them. Your mileage may vary. There really is no substitution for test driving them all though.

I would buy they best I could realistically afford and never look back. All three of your choices are good binos. I own two and frankly I use the Terra's more because they stay in my truck because I'm not worried about breaking or losing them. The Conquests are always with me on planned hunts and planned bird watching outings. The difference is noticeable but as to whether it is worth $700 to you is not for me to decide.

Edit to add. The Terra's use ED glass. They are a noticeable step up from a 20 year old set of Nikons that my dad had. I was amazed at the quality of the Terra's for the price range. My brother hates them though and he opts of a pair of cannon image stabilizers that I can't stand. So hopefully you've played with enough binos to know what your real preferences are.

You might also poke around the Leica HDs. They have recently had them on sale a number of places and they are a fabulous glass.

i have - Ziess Conquest HD 8x42 and Leica HD glasses and they are both great glasses.

After much looking etc I bit the bullet --so to speak. I bought the Conquest HD 8X42 binos.

I wish the hell I had done so years ago instead of wasting so much money on all the others I have bought. I will not be buying any others unless it is the same but 10X.

They worked great for me in Africa and here in the USA for deer. I am even considering buying a 10X pair for some long distance(over 500 yards) shooting in another state that I enjoy hunting in.

I have a pair of the Conquest HD in 10 x 42 and they are great for the money... I think I paid $999? A couple of my PH's had the Leupods and they loved my Conquest HD's. If you need to stay on a budget, do so, but it only hurts when you buy the better ones vs. every time you use them!

However for the same cost (well I got mine on sale for a bout $850), I got tired of the weight and wanted a pair of 8x binos for closer in DG hunts, so went with the Swarovski CL 8 x 32's and love those even more! The Zeiss Conquest HD glass is top shelf, but the Swarovski can do about as well in a 32mm vs the 42mm. Similar cost, less weight and both are very high quality.

Thanks guys! I think I am convinced and will get the conquests.

I prefer the Zeiss Duralyt that illuminates.

I am in the market for some new binoculars. Basically my options are as follows:

1. Ziess Terras 8x42 (Cheapest)
2. Nikon Monarch 8x42 (Mid Range)
3. Ziess Conquest HD 8x42 (Most expensive)

I have my heart set on the Ziess Conquests. The other problem I have is that I must order them online (Hence I can't test them back to back).
Our local gunshop does not sell decent optics.

My criteria is basically a good hunting binocular in the 8x42 range that will last.

no. 3 Zeiss 8x42 HD.

Had one of these...now someone in Zimbabwe has one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross