Zebra Chair Advice

Savage Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
We are finally about to upholster a wingback chair with my zebra hide from a hunt from 3 years ago.
I plan to have it cover the seat and inside back with the skin. The mane will start at the top of the chair and the head will drape over the back.
The outside back and sides of the chair will be done in black leather.
The zebra head as it drapes down the back will attach to the black leather down the center.

Questions:
1. What do you think?
2. Since the seat will be zebra fur hide, is that a problem. Do you think the hair will come out with wear?

I plan to ask the upholsterer these questions, but thought I'd run it by you guys also.

Never seen one done with the head skin as part of the chair. Might want to get a professional opinion on that - the mane will flair a lot coming over the back. Also be prepared for an occasional freaked out guest or relative. The flattened zebra face look (in my case a rug) seems to cause far more comments (not all positive) than any of my other mounts.

We've draped it over the chair making sure of the fitting of it. It looks like it will work out.
The mane will actually start at the top of the chair and will be flared going down the back. We like the way the back looks with the head and mane.
Mississippi folks aren't skiddish about animals and taxidermy and, if someone is, they don't have to come back.
It will likely be in my office or, when we build of log home, in the loft area overlooking the living room.

My main concern is durability of the seat with the hair on it.
My thoughts are, that if you can walk on it as a rug, you ought to be able to sit on it without a problem.
But I will ask.
thanks for your input.

this chair in the link is not like my chair, but the mane will start at the top like on this one.
http://africansportingcreations.com...een=CTGY&Store_Code=SWC&Category_Code=ZECH100
Our wingback has a shorter back and is curved instead of squared off.

Ok - now I get it. Should be awesome. I would think the seat would hold up - but again, a professional would have an informed opinion.

If it were me, I would leave the seat area free of zebra hide as per the chair shown in the link.

Sitting down and standing up and fidgeting on the seat will invariably use a back and forth motion which could, potentially, wear and loosen the hair as I'm guessing it runs in only one direction and at some point it will be against the grain, or in this case hair.

I would keep the high wear area free of zebra and use it in the less well used parts.

A matching footstool would look good with it though!

Just my humble opinion as if it were my project.

That looks great and should work well if the chair is shorter and the mane goes down over the back. I would think it would be irritating to have the mane hair tickling the back of your neck or head if it lines up that way.

I have to agree with Adrian's points as well.

I think you need to decide if it is to be functional or more decorative.... Personally I would rather not sit on a hair chair. But I love the looks!

I;m really going for a decorative piece. mostly. Wife said if if was hair on the seat, it'd be warm in the winter.
I said "Good, we can use a bun warmer."

I think it will look great. However, I suspect the hair will come off the zebra hide as you sit and move around in the chair.

Just had 2 of these done and shipped for a lady client. Not sure about the white,but it will fit her house.
2014-03-27 001 2014-03-27 004_1.jpg

I've noticed some of the zebra chair pictures are of the mountain zebras without the shadow stripes.
Those seem to have shorter hair in the pictures than the Burchells zebra like mine.

I've not seen a hartman hide so I don't know. Are the hartman's shorter haired than the Burchell's or is it just not easy to tell from a picture?

Think it depends on the age of the animal,older zebra tend to have smoother coats. Younger animals skin,hair appear almost wooly when tanned.

Well darn it all. Now I'm going to need at least THREE more zebra. The chairs are GORGEOUS! Especially against the white. However, I'm not that daring having raised boys. :)

@tarbe you need to post that ottoman picture to this thread.

Two big chairs and that.... nice...

@tarbe you need to post that ottoman picture to this thread.

Two big chairs and that.... nice...

Then I will be like Walkingprey and working on Zebra # 4, 5 and 6!

Besides, the ottoman pics are on Kathy's phone and I ain't talking! ;) hehe

But I do love hunting Zebra....

No Sir,we used 2 skins for the chairs. Off cuts used to make scatter cushions.

Perhaps on the rear side. Dennis's Damaske idea.

IMG_0543_zpsq0lfftom.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!