ZAMBIA: BAN LIFTED ON HUNTING IN 19 HUNTING BLOCKS

Spike.t and PeteG,
Thank you for the information. I have been on two safari trips but both to South Africa flying into Joberg. Where dies one fly to in order to hunt in Zambia? Does one still fly into Joberg and then take a regional carrier into Zambia or charter flight to camp area?
Are hunts In Zambia mostly open free range hunting or is it game ranches like much of South Africa?
Thank you in advance for your reply.

hi the options are getting smaller due to BA stopping the london heathrow to lusaka direct flight last oct, and KLM are pulling their direct flight from amsterdam this coming oct. emirates fly in direct from dubai, but the easiest from the states will be into joburg with which there are various airlines, and then to lusaka with SAA who fly to lusaka and ndola in zambia. there are fenced reserves like ours where we own the animals, then there are privately owned non fenced areas like munyamadzi that thor operates/hunts which still have to buy their quota from ZAWA , and then there are the govnt areas, Game Management Areas (GMAs), these are the same as open govnt concessions in other countries although in zambia there are villages and people in them to varying degrees. here is a link to maps of zambian areas https://www.google.com/search?q=map of hunting areas in zambia&rlz=1C1LENN_enJE488JE488&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PgX6U73mCczuaL-ngvgM&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1242&bih=606. from lusaka you will charter or drive to the hunting areas, but most will be quicker to get to by charter plane as they can be many hours away. we are approx 5 1/2 hours from lusaka and 3 1/2 hours from ndola on good tar roads apart from the last 30 or so kms which is dirt road. with some of the luangwa areas you can take an internal commercial flight to mfuwe airport and then be driven to the hunting area.cheers mike

Last edited:
hi the options are getting smaller due to BA stopping the london heathrow to lusaka direct flight last oct, and KLM are pulling their direct flight from amsterdam this coming oct. emirates fly in direct from dubai, but the easiest from the states will be into joburg with which there are various airlines, and then to lusaka with SAA who fly to lusaka and ndola in zambia. there are fenced reserves like ours where we own the animals, then there are privately owned non fenced areas like munyamadzi that thor operates/hunts which still have to buy their quota from ZAWA , and then there are the govnt areas, Game Management Areas (GMAs), these are the same as open govnt concessions in other countries although in zambia there are villages and people in them to varying degrees. here is a link to maps of zambian areas https://www.google.com/search?q=map of hunting areas in zambia&rlz=1C1LENN_enJE488JE488&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PgX6U73mCczuaL-ngvgM&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1242&bih=606. cheers mike

what he said!
(whilst i was busy typing a long winded reply!)

Thank you guys fir great information.

that is ridiculous.
do you know what it has been in the past?

At least the process has started, hope that this gets Zambia back on track.
Do you know if any of the concession commitments have changed?

no i dont know what the prices used to be. this is all i heard , but no cats this year but possibility for next year...and i believe there werent that many rushing to tender compared to the past........

at least the process has started. can only go forward from here

the tendering process for the gmas is taking place now. the prices being asked are very high.......$500,000.00 for a prime gma and all quota must be paid for upfront each year......

Prices like that I guess they will find out just how much people are willing to pay.
Sheesh.

wayne they think the operators make a fortune!! they wouldnt believe a friend even after he went in and showed the monetary total of how many days, clients and trophies paid for in one year .the total they were saying he was making was impossible, as it was far far more than if he had sold every hunting day in the season and every trophy animal.............even after showing them this maximum and that it was physically impossible to make their figure, they still said its not true!!!!!!

wayne they think the operators make a fortune!! they wouldnt believe a friend even after he went in and showed the monetary total of how many days, clients and trophies paid for in one year .the total they were saying he was making was impossible, as it was far far more than if he had sold every hunting day in the season and every trophy animal.............even after showing them this maximum and that it was physically impossible to make their figure, they still said its not true!!!!!!

Didn't you know that every Outfitter has a huge Swiss Bank account. (Scratch that, they check those now.)
Grand Cayman account with MILLIONS in it!
I know Andrew does. :)

Didn't you know that every Outfitter has a huge Swiss Bank account. (Scratch that, they check those now.)
Grand Cayman account with MILLIONS in it!
I know Andrew does. :)

well he could have got lunch the other day then!!!!! ;):D

When hunting in Zambia was suspended in 2013 due to difficulty in selecting outfitters for the GMA's...............a so called "flawed process in the tender"....I couldn't help but wonder what was flawed. In many African countries, this means that the appropriate ministers were not being tendered enough. And citing corruption as a problem often means "I didn't get my share". Half a mill for a Game Management Area??? It does make one wonder about the selection process. Or am I just being jaded by recent African history?
Best of luck in Zambia. I hope the REAL professionals get a chance to help manage the game........the PH's and the Operators.......................FWB

What's with KLM and BA getting out of the Zambia business??

Great news. It is just a shame that the cats are still closed. It is the main attraction for Zambia and their best selling point: Wild Lions.

I am sure the government will come to their senses and re-open Lion hunting soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!