Yellow Fever Vaccine in RSA

Yes it is very common in Southern Africa and it makes you very sick.Those red devils are so small sometimes you can't see it ,and the places it crawls into my oh my:mad:.
Theo

I, like E, have been through Dakar several times now with no Yellow fever vac. The local health nurse didn't recommend it so I didn't get it. Maybe I got lucky?

Custom I wish you could come to my seminar Saturday at the Dallas Safari Club show We are covering just this as part of our talk, Africa-What's Stopping You
Hep A & B plus Tetanus booster are required. Malaria only if you are going basically way north and the CDC website and your own Doctor can advise you best. If you do Atlanta direct to Joberg on Delta with no stop in Dakar as you do with SAA then no Yellow Fever vaccination is needed. My wife is registered Medical Technologist and she relies on the CDC website and our doctor. Did get Tick Fever on safari #4 a 10 day treatment with Doxicillin cured the problem. Only 2 types of ticks can give Tick Fever and each has a very specific antibiotic for treatment but unless you hunt very early in the season you probably won't have a problem. It just makes you feel ill and lethargic for a few days. Good luck on your hunt and don't worry so much you should be fine.

If you do Atlanta direct to Joberg on Delta with no stop in Dakar as you do with SAA then no Yellow Fever vaccination is needed.

Cliffy does this mean that it IS required if travelling through Dakar without deplaning?

Cliffy does this mean that it IS required if travelling through Dakar without deplaning?

YES

List of countries for which a yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for
entry into South Africa.

Angola
Argentina
Benin
Bolivia
Brazil
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Colombia
Guinea-Bissau
Congo
Côte d’Ivoire
Democratic Republic
of the Congo
Ecuador
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
French Guyana
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guinea
Kenya
Liberia
Mali
Mauritania
Niger
Nigeria
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Rwanda
Sao Tome and
Principe
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Somalia
Sudan
Suriname
Togo
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Republic of Tanzania
Venezuela
Zambia

South Africa - Revised requirements for Yellow Fever vaccination

21 SEPTEMBER 2011 - The National Department of Health from the Republic of South Africa informed WHO that it considered that travellers from countries with low risk of yellow fever transmission still pose a risk of yellow fever importation into the country and that proof of yellow fever vaccination will be required from all travellers (unless in possession of a valid waiver certificate) coming from yellow fever risk countries - including Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia, the United Republic of Tanzania and Zambia. Also, all travellers transiting airports in these countries will have to show proof of yellow fever vaccination at entry in the Republic of South Africa.

The South African yellow fever vaccination policy for travellers can be consulted on the National Department of Health website.

http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/policy/2011/draft_yellowfever.pdf

Cliffy, I have been bitten by a "bad" tick here in MO and did the 10 day treatment before Lyme symptoms set in. Had the bullseye rash. After that experience, we rely on the "NATO" method of prevention - permanone spray on our clothing and DEET on our skin. Is that recommended while on safari? Can we take those products in with us?

What do you call "early season"? We will be there in mid-May.

Excellent decision.

Do not forget effective gastro treatment. The most common illness you may contract is gastro-enteritis. There is prophylactic meds plus the usual tablets etc.. The best defense is not to eat or drink anything sold from the side of the road or not prepared properly. This ailment can strike no matter where you travel.

Have a great time.

Excellent Advice!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross