Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
As some of you already know, my son and I are planning our maiden safari to the RSA in May 2013. I have talked to my doctor, my county health department, consulted the CDC website and the RSA website. I am certain that we do not need the YF vaccine if we are not travelling to or through countries with the disease on our way (countries listed on RSA's website). As scheduled, we are flying direct to Jo'burg from Atlanta on Delta. So, based on our scheduled travel. no YF vaccine required. My question, should we get the vaccine out of an abundance of caution? What if we have a non-scheduled stop someplace? Am I paranoid?

Recommendations?

No YF shot required or desired unless as you say you are going thru some country that does require it, but not for RSA. Good luck!!

My wife and I got the shot just in case. I would have never forgiven myself for not getting it if something had come up which could have resulted in our not being able to gain entry for our hunt. Many do not get the vaccination without any problem, but is it worth the risk? We decided the shot was an easy choice.

Probably not the answer you were looking for...just our opinion.

Have fun on your hunt. We look forward for your report when you return. Good Luck! :)

One should remember also that all inoculations just like all medicines have risks in taking them. I take no shots I dont need.

I went through Dakar Senegal on the way to RSA.
Yellow Fever Endemic area. (YFE)

Guess who had to get himself a shot.
Said I was just staying on the plane and would never enter the country.
Did not matter.
YF shot it was. Too late to change the route. ARGH!

There are other routes and you can do without the shot taking those routes.
If there is a stop in a YFE guess what.

On the bright side.
It is also good for ten years.
You are then set up to head after Bongo on your next hunt.

Custom,

Yellow Fever vaccine is not currently recommended for those traveling directly to RSA. Propholactic malaria meds may be considered depending on your destination in RSA. Your outfitter can best advise you if you are in a malaria-free area.... Hepatitis A,B,C or D exist at epidemic levels in many African countries including RSA. On our first visit to RSA, my wife and I visited a health care provider who specializes in travel medicine. They recommended that we get Hepatitis A & B vaccines, as well as a tetanus booster for travel to RSA. No other treatments were necessary.

The bottom line is you will get lots of advice here from members and much of it may be well-intended, accurate information... However, my best advice is to find a local health care professional in your area that specializes in travel medicine and follow their specific recommendations based on your individual health care risks and concerns. In other words, your personal medical history, pre-existing conditions, and medications that you take may have a direct impact on what precautions are necessary and recommended to you personally.

I hope this helps....

Thanks Brickburn you beat me to it...

The shot depends of the country or countries you come through. And as addressed weather you get off the airplane or not.

I have only done Dakar northbound, so no issue.

......... My question, should we get the vaccine out of an abundance of caution? What if we have a non-scheduled stop someplace? Am I paranoid?
Recommendations?

"Paranoid"; a little about the unscheduled stop thing. Could it happen, sure. Really though?
Get insurance.

"Abundance of caution";
As suggested talk to your doc or travel clinic. Get advice for you specifically for sure.

It was suggested to me that I get Rabies precautions before my trip to Namibia. It is a WHO Rabies endemic area. So, is where I live my life every day. I have to get my dogs inoculated because they might run into a skunk or raccoon.

I chose not to take the meds.
I also took other precautionary actions:
No petting stray Lions, Kudu, dogs, cats, rats , Meerkats, etc.

Malaria prevention was also suggested. My destination was a Malaria endemic area.
I did not take it. Not because I am insane and have a death wish.

I decided that is had just SNOWED in Namibia and was one of the coldest years on record and the temperature at night was -2C. How many could live??

Well, I killed TWO of the flying pests on my 9 days. One even managed to night me before I sent him to meet his maker.
I do not have Malaria.

Do not get me wrong, if it was going to be wet when I was there. You can bet your boots that I would have taken the meds.

Common sense works just as well traveling as it does at home! :)

I have only done Dakar northbound, so no issue.

They still sprayed the d**n plane with that bug spray going back to Washington.
Never again!
If I wanted to be sprayed with pesticide I would stand in a pea field in spring time.

One should remember also that all inoculations just like all medicines have risks in taking them. I take no shots I dont need.

Thats a Big 1+ for me to.

Never again!
If I wanted to be sprayed with pesticide I would stand in a pea field in spring time.

IS that what that is, I thought maybe they were just trying to cover up all those farts on the plane for the last 10 hours. :heh::heh:

Never again!

brickburn they do that when you depart from most african/exotic destinations , standard procedure. cant remember how many times i have been sprayed...

brickburn they do that when you depart from most african/exotic destinations , standard procedure. cant remember how many times i have been sprayed...

Funny, I never saw them walk into the cockpit with the bug bomb. Hmmm. I think I'll go up there.

Funny, I never saw them walk into the cockpit with the bug bomb. Hmmm. I think I'll go up there.

i think that would be one way of getting to stay for a long time in the country you are leaving from , probably not in the accommodation of your choosing though :biggrin2:

You guys are killing me with this thread, LOL. I would not take any medicine not necessary, there are risks! It depends on what time of the year you go too. And I flew through Dakar before and never got any shots...I still wouldn't. As far as the disinfectant on the airplane....the idiot that came up with that one needs to be shot!!! PRONTO!

Brickburn and firehuntfish had some good advice.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. We are taking the hep A & B series and tetanus boosters. YF was not recommended as long as we were travelling directly to RSA, which we are. I think we will stick with the recommendations.

Excellent decision.

Do not forget effective gastro treatment. The most common illness you may contract is gastro-enteritis. There is prophylactic meds plus the usual tablets etc.. The best defense is not to eat or drink anything sold from the side of the road or not prepared properly. This ailment can strike no matter where you travel.

Have a great time.

"Paranoid"; a little about the unscheduled stop thing. Could it happen, sure. Really though?
Get insurance.

"Abundance of caution";
As suggested talk to your doc or travel clinic. Get advice for you specifically for sure.

It was suggested to me that I get Rabies precautions before my trip to Namibia. It is a WHO Rabies endemic area. So, is where I live my life every day. I have to get my dogs inoculated because they might run into a skunk or raccoon.

I chose not to take the meds.
I also took other precautionary actions:
No petting stray Lions, Kudu, dogs, cats, rats , Meerkats, etc.

Malaria prevention was also suggested. My destination was a Malaria endemic area.
I did not take it. Not because I am insane and have a death wish.

I decided that is had just SNOWED in Namibia and was one of the coldest years on record and the temperature at night was -2C. How many could live??

Well, I killed TWO of the flying pests on my 9 days. One even managed to night me before I sent him to meet his maker.
I do not have Malaria.

Do not get me wrong, if it was going to be wet when I was there. You can bet your boots that I would have taken the meds.

Common sense works just as well traveling as it does at home! :)
Guys as a South African we use to kill ourselves with the health paranoia foreigners had. I use to stay in Nelspruit for 10 years and never drank any malaria tablets with no malaria.Yes if we went to Mozambique we use to take these tablets. All the rivers in Limpopo and the Eastern Lowveld have the dreaded bilharsia . Steer away from rivers no swimming at all. The bilharsia larva attacks every organ in the body and leads to severe illness. Whenever you had such contacts with rivers please visit your physician for necessary tests .Look for blood in your urine that is a tell tale sign of the bilharsia infection.
If you tend to stress rather take any vaccinations or tablets suggested to you.Rather be safe then sorry.
Theo
:bonk:

You may wish to research tick bite fever. I got it last trip to RSA. There is at least 1 thread on here about it. Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg