AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
Well guys and girls it's that time of year again, in less then 24 hours my son and I will be pulling out, heading for Wyoming. But this year the deer and antelope are going to have to wait a bit to be chased by us. We're stopping in South Dakota for a few days of fishing on Lake Oahe first. I've driven past there every year for the last 30 years and always said the same thing, some day I'm going to go fishing here. Well I guess my son got tired of hearing me say that and by God this year it's going to happen. After we're done fishing then we'll head on over to Kaycee, WY, meet up with my son in law and head to camp for what should be great hunting trip. This year the boys talked me into not taking anyone else along, so it's just going to be the three of us. They wanted a hunting trip just for us, they get a little frustrated with helping out other hunters sometimes. I enjoy hunting with others and watching them tag their first Muley or Antelope, it's like experiencing my first time all over again, through their eyes. But I guess it's not for everyone, and depending on the person and how the hunt goes it can get a little interesting. Any way after we're done hunting we're taking a trip over to the Wyoming Whiskey Distillery for a tour of the place and some free samples, that should be interesting for sure. Then it's back to camp, clean up and head over to Gillette, pick up some dry ice and hopefully meet up with Bruce, looking forward to that. I'll write up a report when I get back and let you all know how the little guide gun makes out.

Good Luck! We did the Wyoming distillery tour 2 years ago and it was a good time:D Beers:. Looking forward to the report

Good Luck! We did the Wyoming distillery tour 2 years ago and it was a good time:D Beers:. Looking forward to the report
Thanks Mekaniks, I'm not much of a bourbon drinker but I guess it's never too late to learn.

Sounds like a great time in the making, jd
Looking foreward to reading all about it ,mate

I hope to meet up with you. Hope the hunting is good. Been out looking at the antelope on the ranch I'm hunting this year. Not too impressed. On the other hand I have seen a couple of deer that looked pretty good. Bruce

I hope to meet up with you. Hope the hunting is good. Been out looking at the antelope on the ranch I'm hunting this year. Not too impressed. On the other hand I have seen a couple of deer that looked pretty good. Bruce
Lee Laatch( the oil driller) sent me some pictures of Antelope on his property Hoping to entice me to come this season to scout and hunt with him net season

Good luck and play safe ! Lots of pictures .....PLEASE !
Glen

Jduckhunter,

Enjoy each day with the boys. The only time my dad, brothers and I spent just the four of us together was for his 70th birthday. We had a blast and still talk about it 15 years later. Need to figure out how to get us out on our own again before it's too late.

Tight lines and straight shots!

John

That sounds like a fun hunt!

Hunting with family only is always just priceless. Most, but not all, of my fondest hunting memories are with family.

Can't wait to see the pics!

HPIM0793.JPG
HPIM0800.JPG
HPIM0771.JPG
HPIM0785.JPG
We got a room for the night, ( cause we really needed to get showers ) that has wifi. We're headed over to Kirby in the morning to see how Wyoming Whiskey is made, but first I thought I'd share a few photos. More later.

Now that's what I'm talking about ! Congrats and great pictures .
Thanks Glen

Congratulations! Great pics, fish and animals. What a fun time.

Ok guys here goes, here's my report on our trip to Wyoming. The entire trip was pretty amazing with only a few let downs, the biggest downer was not being able to meet up with Bruce in Gillette. Our schedules just didn't work out, but there is always next year. The other little problems I'll get to later. First was our fishing trip in South Dakota which was nothing short of awesome. We fished with Hutch's Guide Service and stayed at The Outpost Lodge, we took a 2 day fishing package deal which included fishing and room and board. We stayed in a little log cabin and had our meals in the lodge. The lodge has a nice dining room and is a favorite with the locals, their menu has it all from fish to surf and turf. You should have seen us when we found out that since we took the package deal that we could order anything from the menu. The only thing that we had to pay for was the alcohol, we could deal with that. They even fried up some of our walleye for us as an appetizer the first evening. But enough about the food. The first day we went out on the river to fish for walleye, we had our limits in a couple of hours. We would have been done sooner but I threw a couple back when Hutch wasn't looking, I didn't want it to be over too quickly. The second day we decided to go to Lake Oahe and fish for small mouth bass. The wind was howling around 20 to 25 mph but Hutch did his best to keep us out of big gusts. In a few hours we had our limits of small mouths, a few bonus walleyes and released a few small northerns it was another fantastic day. Back to the lodge for another wonderful dinner and a good nights sleep, up early the next day to continue our trip westward. A quick stop in Wall, South Dakota for breakfast and we were off again, next stop Gillette, WY, swing into WalMart, pick up a conservation stamp for my son, a new coffee maker for camp, some milk, bread and lunch meat. Called Bruce to find out that he is out scouting for antelope, choked back my disappointment, ate a quick lunch and back on the road west bound. We met up with my son in law in Kaycee, WY about 4:00 that afternoon and reached camp around 5:00. I told the boys that we would have to set up camp in the dark that evening because we needed to do some scouting with the remaining light. That turned out to be a wise decision, we didn't see many deer but we did manage to locate a few pretty nice antelope bucks.
I'll write more later, right now it's time to head for home and dinner.
HPIM0765.JPG
HPIM0779.JPG
HPIM0781.JPG
HPIM0788.JPG

Awesome, soooo jealous. I've always wanted to hunt Wyoming. I've been there many times back in the day but always for work. Congrats on a great trip!!!!

I can see from the pics you did pretty good. Sorry our schedules just didn't work out. Happens sometimes I guess. Love to hear the rest of the tale. Bruce

Man that is an awesome trip! I am pretty jealous. Just the fishing trip by itself looks amazing! Walleye fishing is some of my favorite! Congrats on the great trip!

Love a good smallmouth bite! Looking forward to the rest of the story @jduckhunter.

Oct. 1, opening day of deer and antelope rifle season in our area of Wyoming, no time for a big breakfast just coffee and some toast. We loaded up into the truck that my son in law rented in Denver, no sense beating up my son's truck. We made a decision to go after the two nice antelope bucks that we spotted the evening before, knowing full well that most of the other hunters will focus on getting their deer first we figured that we'd at least beat them to the antelope. We drove 8 miles back the dirt road then about a half a mile on the stone road that the oil and gas companies maintain, them turned down another dirt road that runs past the largest stock pond in the area. We were headed to a large wide open section of grass beyond the pond where we located the antelope the evening before. Much to our surprise one of the bucks and several does came running up out of the large ditch that parallels the road going down to the pond. I stopped the truck rather abruptly and the buck walked across the road right behind the truck, he continued on for about 100 yards stopping in a grassy patch near a gas well. I think that my son in law may have been in shock or maybe not quite awake yet, his reaction time was a little slow. We finally got him out of the truck with his rifle and shooting sticks, he sneaked along the road and crossed ditch that runs along side the road, he set up his sticks and boom! The buck fell at the shot, he hit him right through the neck. It was a nice buck with 13" horns, he was very happy both with the buck and his shot. It was about 7:40 AM so not wanting to lose any time we made sure that he had everything that he needed, knife, tag, etc. and we told him that we would be back for him shortly. We continued down the dirt road past the pond and stopped for a little glassing, the buck that I was after was not there in the grass, only some does and young bucks. So on a hunch I took the road to the left, after more then 25 years hunting on a ranch you develop hunch's, we went several hundred yards and there across the small canyon was the buck and about 10 does. They were down in the bottom of a small saddle feeding up and away from us, I still haven't figured out why the antelope were down in such small confined spaces, it wasn't windy or cold, but there they were. I asked my son to range them, he whispered 330 yards, I got out of the truck and crawled into the ditch with my Ruger Target/Varmint rifle in 25-06, I dropped the bipod legs and got comfy. He was feeding away from us and all could see was his butt, my son kept me updated on the range, not being known for my patience I surprised myself and just waited for my shot. Finally he gave me a bit of a quartering shot, my son says 378 yards, some quick figuring and I settled the crosshairs just behind the shoulder and slightly above his back. I honestly don't remember squeezing the trigger, but the gun cracked, the antelope took a few steps and collapsed, so all was good. We couldn't get to him very easily from this side of the canyon so we decided to back track, pick up my son in law and his buck then drive down the road and retrieve mine. My buck turned out to be pretty nice too, with horns just over 13 1/2" and a big body, probably one of the biggest bodied antelope bucks that I've ever taken. I was using Berger VLD hunting bullets for the first time and was anxious to see how they would work. I was very impressed with the results, it looked like he was hit with a very high speed broadhead, a pass through so no bullet recovery. We got the pictures all taken and got him loaded up, the boys wanted to check out the surrounding draws for deer before we left the area so we hung around for a few minutes glassing. It turned out to be a wise decision, I spotted two muley bucks working their way over top of the hill and into the draw about a half mile away and in the direction that we had just come from. So back in the truck and make a big circle back around close to where we started. By the time we got there they were feeding their way up and out of the draw, no way to get closer. One of the bucks was a nice big fat 3x3, my son wasn't interested in him, he was holding out for something bigger, my son in law on the other hand had no such intentions and announced that he wouldn't mind shooting him. He asked if he could try my target rifle, I said by all means, so he and my son took off in hot pursuit. When the deer finally gave him a shot he was at 330 yards, the gun cracked the buck walked in a little circle and fell over. We had my son in law stay put while my son and I drove back around to the other side of the draw, the idea being that he could direct us from there. It worked out pretty well but we have to work on his hand signals for next time. It wasn't 10:00 yet on opening day and here we were half tagged out already. I suggested heading for camp and get these critters hung up before it gets too warm and that was the plan until we ran into a group of antelope on the way back. My son had an antelope doe/fawn tag and I think that he was tired of watching us shoot and wanted to join in the fun. The two boys took off after the antelope and I decided to let them have some fun on their own, so I stayed in the truck alongside the road. They were gone for a few minutes when a couple of hunters pulled up alongside of me, we chatted for a minute or two and I asked them what they were after. Turns out that they had shot their deer and were now headed into the grassland after antelope that they had seen earlier. Me being about as subtle as a train wreck, pointed to the back of the truck and said you mean like these two. They said that they would have to change their plans now, I wished them luck and off they went. My son took my target rifle with him for his antelope and wound up blowing half the back off of one at 159 yards, he hit the spine and that Berger bullet just made a mess at that distance and velocity.
Well I have to take my lab to the vet now, but I'll write more in a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!