WW Greener Empire

The Bongo

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
BASC, NOBS, SACS
Hunted
UK, Bulgaria, Italy
A local gunsmith has stated that it would be probably be possible to fit a set of double rifle barrels to a 12g Greener Empire triple bite lock-up, magnum action.

Has anybody out there done this, and what calibre is achievable please?

I know I could buy a Weatherby or Remington for less than a set of bespoke barrels, but reckon that you shoot best with what you regularly use.

A local gunsmith? Unless he is a London or Birmingham trained gunmaker with a meaningful resume, I wouldn't even consider it. The empire was a superb old basic grade shotgun. I think I would keep it as intended.

I have a Saur 12g that was converted to 450 NE 3.25" by a gunsmith in AK. if the gunsmith is skilled and knows double rifles then it is possible.

as for cartridges, they would need to be a low pressure cartridge like any of the old NE cartridges. 450/400 NE 3", 450 NE 3.25", 470 NE and 500 NE would all likely work and reloading supplies are easily available.

-matt

Greener shotguns with fluid steel barrels and the heavy (1 & 1/2 oz proof or higher) were strong guns.

Despite that, I don't like the safety set up for potential use on DG. And they are so good for their intended use when left as is.

Have seen lots of SXS converted to BP cartridges. Not for DG, but less stress on the action, and a pretty nice result. FWIW

Good luck with whatever choice you make..................................FW Bill

Thank you for your comments. I was pretty surprised that it may be capable of withstanding conversation to an older NE load, I had perhaps expected a rimmed 7mm or thereabouts to be suggested.

As a driven boar rifle or woodland cull stalker the project may have some mileage.

We are very blessed locally Red Leg - there are two gunsmiths who have served a full traditional apprenticeship with Best London firms and who still turn out the occasional fully bespoke rifle or gun. Neither quick nor cheap, they are that rare animal, the true craftsman.

Matt - what is the balance like with your Saur if I may ask?

The Bongo
This question will best be answer on another forum where members specialize in converting side by side shotguns into double rifles. If it is fine with the mods I am uploading the link to this forum...otherwise you can e-mail me at
godendaal@hotmail.com

There is a book on this subject "Conversion of shotguns to double rifles" Ellis Brown it is extremely good reading and practical know how.

The 12 ga W.W.Greener is an extremely strong action, but it is big and heavy you will be able to build a .500 Nitro Express on it...for a sleeker design like a .450 nr 2 Nitro express a 16 ga Zabala or a AYA will be the best. You need to order combination barrels with the last twelve inches turned down as thin as possible to ensure "between the hands weight" balance...here is a link to some calibers you can take a look at.
http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/450 No2 NE.html

Gert

Thank you very much Gert. I have found the forum, and it is dizzying in its information.

I shall be ordering the Brown book shortly.

Many thanks again!

It is a pleasure....you will find the book extremely informative. If you contact Birdhunter 50 and Ron Vella on the forum I am sure they will assist you as well. There is a person Marakai who purchased a .500 Nitro for Black on a W.W Greener Empire model, he is from Australia...see if you can find the thread " Dancing with the Fat Lady" this person is knowledgeable on double conversions as well. Birdhunter 50 was so good as to assist me in all my questions and he gave me a lot of information regarding a conversion build project. I already bought a W.W Greener Empire model but my mentor Johan Greyling will not allow me to cut the W.W.Greener side x side shotgun. So now I am on the lookout for a 16 ga Side by side Zabala or AYA....The W.W Greener I am using to shoot pigeons and any other feather game...

Enjoy and keep us informed regarding your build. I would suggest you build a .450 no 2 Jeffery on a 16 ga Zabala or Aya...

Regards

Gert

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber