Merkel 416 Rigby 25-1 Of 25 For Sale Ammo & Dies, Brass & Case

posting some basic specs on the rifle would be nice. how about weight, LOP, barrel length, and perhaps what bullet its regulated for?

thanks
-matt

ok, I got the information. The rifle sold for 10,500.00 new. It is 98%+ So I am asking 7250.00 for it as a buy it now or the best reasonable offer. Take a look at what comes with it.
Thanks
Mike

posting some basic specs on the rifle would be nice. how about weight, LOP, barrel length, and perhaps what bullet its regulated for?

thanks
-matt
Wgt is about 11.5pounds, barrels 23.5 in and it is regulated for 400 grains.
Mike

weight sounds a little heavy but reasonable and barrel length is typical. can you tell us what 400gr bullet its regulated for? typically a double is regulated for a single load. also, could you tell us the LOP? (length of pull)

price is fair, Im sure it will sell fast.

-matt

weight sounds a little heavy but reasonable and barrel length is typical. can you tell us what 400gr bullet its regulated for? typically a double is regulated for a single load. also, could you tell us the LOP? (length of pull)

price is fair, Im sure it will sell fast.

-matt
Matt,

I do not know what bullet it was regulated for, possibly Norma, RWS or Woodleigh. I think the LOP in just under 14 inches with the factory buttplate.

Man what a nice rifle

What a beautiful rifle, and one of my favorite calibers! If I had the money, I'd give her a loving home.

Well I have booked a hunt for brown bear. I will take 6000.00 for the rifle, if sold in the next week. If not I will be forced to try sell it on Gunbrokers.....something I really do not want to do. I would rather sell it here.

I actually had a dream last night that I bought this rifle!

Horrible time for my oil stocks to be in the tank!

I actually had a dream last night that I bought this rifle!

Horrible time for my oil stocks to be in the tank!
U and me both

forgive my ignorance, what does regulated for refer to?

forgive my ignorance, what does regulated for refer to?

Hey I would not have known either a few years ago.... It means to get both barrels to hit close to the same point of aim.

As you can imagine, two barrels would have two different points of impact, and as they are spaced a bit apart, they need to be welded together at the correct angle to make a bullet from each barrel hit in the same spot at a given distance... So when they build these guns they test fire them with a certain round, and then machine and weld until they get them to hit reasonably close at say 50 yards or meters?

I may not have the process described completely accurately but as different ammo and loads will shoot differently in different rifles, so the regulation of the barrels depends upon which load, not only bullet but also powder, was used to test them with.

So buyers of double guns always want to know this. So they can handload or purchase the ammo that the gun is most accurate with. Often times it is Hornady DGS and/or DGX these days, probably because Hornady makes such a wide variety of the NE cartridges.

However this is a classic bolt gun cartridge so the question is even more interesting, but there is not a definitive answer. and as you can imagine, potential buyer are thinking of the expense they will go through to find a load that does regulate well. At the cost of 416 Rigby, it adds up if you have to shoot 3 or more rounds of each trial load through each barrel! (again, I could be incorrect as to that process as I have never done it)

I thought I was learning alot just reading posts here, its even better asking questions! Thanks for the info, now I just wish I could swing the great deal on this beautiful rifle.

I thought I was learning alot just reading posts here, its even better asking questions! Thanks for the info, now I just wish I could swing the great deal on this beautiful rifle.

Ask lots of questions for sure because there are people on this site that can answer.

Because the .416 Rigby is a rimless cartridge, designed for bolt gun, there are other moving parts involved in placing the rounds in the barrels and the same on the extraction of double rifles. I somewhat understand this but can't explain it. For .375 H&H, you have the choice of rimless or flanged (rimmed). The flanged cartridges are for double rifles. There is no .416 Rigby flanged. I suggested you Google rimmed vs rimless rifle cartridges. You can find pretty easy to understand explanations. People that own, have owned and hunted with many double rifles have differing beliefs set in stone about this and many would not buy any double in rimless calibers. I am not your expert, just a serious researcher of subjects that interest me.

David I've heard that from others as well. The attraction to the 416 Rigby would be already having one in a bolt gun, the ammo is on hand. And if one hand loads you have one set of dies, etc. However extra moving parts in a DG rifle of any kind sounds like a negative.

But it is a nice rifle at a decent price.

David I've heard that from others as well. The attraction to the 416 Rigby would be already having one in a bolt gun, the ammo is on hand. And if one hand loads you have one set of dies, etc. However extra moving parts in a DG rifle of any kind sounds like a negative.

But it is a nice rifle at a decent price.

Since I have never owned or even fired a double rifle, it was only after this came up for sale that I started learning about them in detail. Since I have been a .416 Rigby fan long before I owned one, I immediately thought that this one would be a heck of a deal. I thought...Merkel plus .416 Rigby, how could you go wrong? But apparently you can, especially if you were going to actually use it to hunt DG. I am going to the Tulsa Arms Show on the second weekend of April, and hopefully find a rimless caliber double rifle and have the seller show me and explain the operation of these "extra parts".

I am going to the Tulsa Arms Show on the second weekend of April, and hopefully find a rimless caliber double rifle and have the seller show me and explain the operation of these "extra parts".
I am looking forward to hear what you learn!

As a traditional bolt rifle kinda guy who can also appreciate just about any proper hunting arm, this is all quite interesting to me and I certainly stand to learn something here so I am all tuned in to this.

I am also reminding myself of all the reasons that I do NOT need this beautiful double rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross