WTD - LOAD DATA FOR 10.75X68 - NEW ACQUISITION

Sorry but I do not agree with you here, that rifle looks extremity used... and I would be very critical if a client show up for DG hunt with something like that.... nostalgic and historical Mauser action rifles yes for sure it can be nice for a collector or for hunting if a old rifle is in a perfect condition.... but that one is far away from "mint condition" and I would think twice before I bring something like that on a hunt in Africa.. there is some new born nostalgic of old Mauser actions rifles for the last years, same as old WW Beatles etc... but remember that steel and other parts have a lifetime limit , only my two cents.

Hello Andre N and Witold,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been loading AA5744 with good results. I use 43.0 g AA5744 behind a 350g Hwk bullet for 1900 fps. Its a fun load with not too much recoil in both my 8 pound Mauser and my 7-3/8 pound Haenal. I don't care to go with a heavier load since I'll only be punching paper animals here in the States.

If I get to Africa, I'll speed up the load.

Hi Buckstix
Your load is perfect as a all round plinking load. I would even go as far as to say that it is perfect for pig hunting! Slow bullet, big hole, fast follow up, open sights.... good practice for your eventual buffalo hunt.

Hello Withold and Andre N,

Thanks for the reply. It is a lot of fun indeed.

Sorry but I do not agree with you here, that rifle looks extremity used... and I would be very critical if a client show up for DG hunt with something like that.... nostalgic and historical Mauser action rifles yes for sure it can be nice for a collector or for hunting if a old rifle is in a perfect condition.... but that one is far away from "mint condition" and I would think twice before I bring something like that on a hunt in Africa.. there is some new born nostalgic of old Mauser actions rifles for the last years, same as old WW Beatles etc... but remember that steel and other parts have a lifetime limit , only my two cents.

Hello gordon-kruger,

Thanks for the reply. Although this old Mauser "looks" rough on the outside, its insides are still fresh. It was a reliable work-horse in Rhodisia for many decades, right up until it left Africa. It still feeds and functions flawlessly to this very day- and most importantly, you can count on it putting all its shots to where you aim- every single time.

I have dozens of newer rifles that look much better, where I cannot say the same thing. Several look great, several are New, but many are sporatic feeders and are mechanically problematic.

If I ever get to Africa for a DG hunt, I'll be chosing a rifle that is "life-defending" reliable, and this old "proven" Mauser ranks very high amoung the candidates.

Last edited:
Witold like everything... :):):)

Thats good Buckstix, wish you happiness with that rifle.. and as long a certificated well known gunsmith check it in details and give his prof, and it's put the bullets where you aiming there is nothing more to ask for.

Only one more little thing because you question was actually related to reloading. I have experience cases separating a couple of times because of excessive head space in a old m98 Mauser Oberndorf rifles, so check the headspace carefully.

Cheers, G

Last edited:
I have experience cases separating a couple of times because of excessive head space in a old m98 Mauser Oberndorf rifles, so check the headspace carefully.

Hello gordon-kruger,

Thanks for the reply. This Mauser checks out just fine.

I have done a lot of handloading over the last 45 years - I would guess over 100,000 rounds - in 50 different calibers. When stting up my resizing dies, I always smoke the cases and I resize minimum to a "very slight feel" of the case shoulder in the chamber when I close the bolt. I also match the shells to the rifle, even with rifles of the same caliber. This has for the most part eliminated any posibility of head separation.

ha..ha.. Witold that's a healthy combination of good things that the life offer... :D Cheers:....

Gordon, I like only Members AH, old hunting rifle, hunting and beautiful women.
All the best.
Witold

In what order? Let's hope the last (beautiful women) is the first! That's having one's priorities in order (until we get really old, that is, at which point rifles equally old (or older still) might just move into first place). :)

Dolan, when you been out on a 28 days hunt up in DRC the definition "beautiful" when it's come to women feels not that important anymore... :D:D..

Hi buckstix,

great ,old caliber.
Great rifle.
When guns could tell...........

This caliber was created by Mauser in the first days of the 19th century and popular in the former German colonies between the wars.
Here a few dates from the book from Norbert Klups" Wiederladen für Jäger"(reloading for hunter) published by Neumann/Neudamm.

Greetings from Munic
Foxi

Attachments

• 10,75x68.pdf
    767.1 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Resurrecting this post as I saw a recent article on the 10.75x68 Mauser on Realguns you might find interesting:
http://www.realguns.com/articles/815.htm

Also found a listing for one at the big gunshop in Houston:
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/mauser-custom-10-75x68-r9125/

Hello 375 Ruger Fan,

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the update on the article, it is a very interesting read. Thank you for that.
I have seen the Mauser at Collector Firearms. It has been for sale for over 2 years.

I've been shooting my 10.75x68, and what a "hoot" it is. I'm sure this rifle has dispatched a lot of game while in the hands of the Rhodesian Game Department, and it makes me think of those times when I shoot it.

Hi buckstix,

great ,old caliber.
Great rifle.
When guns could tell...........

This caliber was created by Mauser in the first days of the 19th century and popular in the former German colonies between the wars.
Here a few dates from the book from Norbert Klups" Wiederladen für Jäger"(reloading for hunter) published by Neumann/Neudamm.

Greetings from Munic
Foxi

Hello Foxi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've printed this information and filed it with my other loading data. Thank you.

And again I like it.
Witold

Hello Witold,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is another 10.75x68 that I acquired. Its a custom C.G.HAENEL in 10.75x68 caliber. Top of barrel is marked "C.G.HAENEL.SUHL.GERMANY" with lots of stampings. I wish this one could tell me its history.

haenel1a.jpg

haenel2a.jpg

haenel3a.jpg

haenel4a.jpg

haenel6a.jpg

haenel3.jpg

As a side note, I really like this rifle's unusual front sight. It has a small bead at the front, and when you push it down with your finger, "up" pops a "low-light" sight. And, when you push it down, "up" pops the front bead again. Its like a little built in teeter-totter.

haenel9aaa.jpg

Attachments

• haenel2a.jpg
    haenel2a.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 187
  • haenel3-2.jpg
    haenel3-2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 243
  • haenel1a.jpg
    haenel1a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 229
  • haenel3.jpg
    haenel3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 224
  • haenel6a.jpg
    haenel6a.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 232
  • haenel3-3.jpg
    haenel3-3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 214
  • haenel9aaa.jpg
    haenel9aaa.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 218
  • haenel4a.jpg
    haenel4a.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 230
  • haenel3a.jpg
    haenel3a.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 204
Beautiful rifle at the legendary calibre. I envy you Buckstix.
Witold

Last edited:
Buckstix I am always amazing at the rifles you find and the work you put into them .

Hello Witold,
Hello CAustin,

Thanks for the reply.

I tell people I find my treasures because I'm old, and have a weak bladder. I get up several times a night to pee, and surf the Internet before going back to sleep. Its during these sessions in the wee hours of the morning that I find a lot of these rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!