Wrong Trophy Shipped

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Alaska Hunter, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Alaska Hunter

Alaska Hunter AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA,Canada,South Africa, Namibia
    I just received my shipment of African trophies back from South Africa. Upon opening the box I was shocked to see that they sent the wrong warthog skull and tusks. I shot a huge pig with long smooth tusks and got back a skull with one broken off tusk. Is all hope lost? What are my best chances of recovering my warthog? I have enclosed photos of my warthog.:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Spiral Horn Safaris

Spiral Horn Safaris AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI and PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa and Zambia
    Hi Alaskan Hunter you should contact your Outfitter or the taxidermy you worked with they should resolve the matter for you.

Wow sorry to hear about that I hope you get your warthog back.
  3. Indy Hunter

Indy Hunter New Member

Member of:
    SCI, QDMA, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana, Maui Island USA, NW & SW USA
    Alaskan Hunter, I hate to bear the bad news but I highly doubt your trophy will ever surface. I speak from personal experience. I had 2 very large male warthogs and 1 large female warthog taxidermied and received 1 female, 1 male, BOTH NOT MY WARTHOGS and my 14in monster never made it at ALL! It took 2 years to get the shipment and they arrived last August. I have not given up on my efforts, but it is near impossible to get the answers that we expect and would give a customer. I hope that I am wrong, but it seems like there is a "black market" for great looking warthogs such as yours and the ones I lost.
  4. billrquimby

billrquimby AH Veteran

Member of:
    Safari Club International, Lander One Shot Antelope Hunt Past Shooters Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia, Spain, Argentina, Mongolia, New Zealand
    It depends upon your taxidermist in South Africa. Those I know down there are reputable people and will want to set things right. I'd send him copies of photos of your warthogs in the field, along with photos of what was shipped to you.

I doubt if there is any scheme to steal trophy warthog tusks.

Unfortunately, tusks and skulls can get separated and when only the skulls are labeled, there's a good chance your tusks can be shipped to someone else. If that happened, the odds of someone complaining about getting your 14-inch tusks are pretty slim.

Bill Quimby
  5. kyle0

kyle0 New Member

Hi Alaskan Hunter,

This sort of thing seems to happen unnervingly often, more care needs to be taken in the dipping and packing stage by the majority of outfitters. I am a taxidermist in England and many of the contents of the crates from Africa we recieve are worringly poor. Hunters pay so much for there trophies yet recieve poor skin prep and skull preperation.

Get on to your outfitter and/or taxidermist. they keep seeming to get away with this sort of treatment of trophies. Sorry to hear about yr predicament, and sorry i cant help more.

Sorry for the rant but had to get it off my chest somewhere.

Good luck, Kyle
  6. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I know it's going to be hard to get your original trophies back. Hopefully, through continued communications and pictures the problem will be resolved.:headscratch:
  7. Calhoun

Calhoun AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
    ...That has to be about the biggest nightmare a hunter could have!! I'm sorry to hear that & wish you the best of luck in retreiving your Trophy!!
  8. Alaska Hunter

Alaska Hunter AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Update

Prodip Limpopo thinks they may have found my warthog tusk. They believe it was shipped to the wrong person in New York State. This has been over 2 months of correspondence. We'll see if we find it! Communication with this company has been good and so I hope it all works out.

Gary
  9. monish

monish AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    AfricaHunting.com
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
    Gary,

That's not fair luck you have not retrieved your warthog , sure he would adorn your trophy room wall , a big tusky piggy u took there !!!

Monish
  10. Alaska Hunter

Alaska Hunter AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    More headaches

Well, The broken tusk that I received from Africa belonged to a hunter from New York. I promptly returned it to him. My tusk is still missing. The PH says it was given tp the pack and dip people. The pack and dip people said they don't know where it's at but will generously offer me a 10% discount on my next pack and dip. Wow, what a great deal!! This equals about $50. I spent thousands and now it has come to this. Any Ideas??

Alaska Hunter
  11. willem

willem New Member