Worst shot turned out to be the best shot

Discussion in 'Shot Placement' started by Intu Safaris, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Intu Safaris

Intu Safaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia
    Most cattle ranchers in Namibia hunt plains game for the meat and not for their trophies. So one aim is always to have the least damage to the meat which is why some farmers tend to shoot at the neck or head.

I was once accompanying a farmer who shot a kudu. The wounded kudu ran away and when we followed the tracks there was blood everywhere. On the ground, the grass was covered, and in the trees. The kudu did not make it far, about 100m. Upon inspection the bullet severed the main artery to the head as if it's throat was cut. The kudu was totally bled out.

But the funny part was that the farmer apparently aimed for the vital area behind the front leg and instead shot it in the neck. I must add that it was a quick free standing shot.

2. owenowen

owenowen AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia
    Hi,

On a slightly different note, once my Uncle told me a true story as a small child that he was out on a hunt in the Eastern Cape when he shot at a moutain reedbuck and the same shot went right through and hit a klipspringer stone dead ! 2 species one shot :)

3. Umebo

Umebo New Member

Member of:
    Swedish Hunters Association
    Hunted:
    Sweden, New Zeeland, South Africa
    Nosejob

An older gentleman hunting moose on the same area as I do once by mistake shot a moose bull straight through the nose. I was called there to start tracking it with one of the dogs but it lay dead about 100 meters away. Apparently it had drowned in its own blood. Sometimes you are lucky!

4. Christopher Wettstein

Christopher Wettstein New Member

Hunted:
    South Africa, Mozambique
    Something happened with my brother, but with a blesbok and an impala. Both stone dead.

5. BryceM

BryceM AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    Just after the dinosaurs left, my dad and I were hunting antelope in Idaho. We kept jumping this same little bunch near a certain field. They consistently ran off the same way each time. The next time we got smart. My dad dropped me off near the escape route and he drove over to where they usually were. Sure enough the little herd ran right past me. I picked out the buck and fired. I was thrilled to see the buck laying right where I shot him. We went over to get him and found him stone-cold dead. The funny thing was that we couldn't see the bullet hole.

We gutted him out and again - no hole. It was right around then that we noticed the width of the horns kept changing. Apparently I had shot him in the head. Apart from being an excited 15 year-old I have no other excuse. I was shooting from a bipod in a sitting position. I tried to play it cool, and tell my dad that I did this on purpose. Ha! In retrospect, my shooting was really horrible in those days. Every once in a while it's better to be lucky than good.

Jay Kelley likes this.
  6. Bert the Turtle

Bert the Turtle AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    My 9 year old son shot a blue wildebeest through the carotid artery with his 243. From the way it acted, we thought it was a good heart shot (which at 40-50 yards from a stand, it should have been!) As it slowed down and staggered to a fall, we noticed it was spraying blood everywhere. It went about 40 yards and dropped dead.

If I thought there was any way to do it reliably, I'd take it as a preferential shot. Just no possible way you could lose the animal: the blood trail wouldn't be much better if you used a paint roller to make it. It is really too bad that it is sheer luck to hit it.

7. Craig Willey

Craig Willey BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Member

Hunted:
    USA & Germany
    This past winter I made bad shot on a red deer. Shot through some brush at about 50 meters aiming at the heart/lung spot. The bullet struck a small limb, and went 30 cm to the right, cutting right through the neck arteries; missed the spine. He hit the ground on the spot, kicked with his hind legs in a circle for about 20 seconds, and was dead. I stood there dumbfounded for about 5 minutes expecting him to jump up and run. There were only a couple of drops of blood on the ground, and it took a minute to figure out where I hit him. There was a small entrance wound on the front of his R-shoulder, and a small exit on the L-neck; both holes only had a couple of drops of blood around them. When I field dressed him, he had a golf-ball sized wound channel through most arteries and veins in the neck.

8. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Some days it just pays to be lucky.

9. archer36

archer36 AH Member

My Photos:
    The best bad shot going well is a femoral artery hit. A huge blood trail and animal dead in about 50 yds.

10. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique
    Hunt enough and weird things happen. Many years ago, I shot a whitetail with a .300 Savage (basically .308 ballistics) and he dropped at the shot. It was very late, and my intent had been to hit him in the base of the neck. I threw him whole in the truck and carried him the skinning shed where I realized that I had hit him very low in the chest, forward of the shoulder. Upon gutting and skinning, I discovered the bullet had gone through the brisket muscles without penetrating the chest cavity or cutting any major arteries. I have no idea what killed that buck.

11. Craig Willey

Craig Willey BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Member

Hunted:
    USA & Germany
    Maybe a bullet fragment broke off and hit the magic kill button. I shot a deer last year with .308 Win 168 TTSX, did a heart/lung passed through, came out at a 45 degree angle, and hit another deer 25 yards away. A heard of red deer came out, and I waited until one cleared the group, with enough room that I don't injure another animal, but the bullet had another idea. The second deer was hit in the shoulder and stunned, so I dropped it with a second shot. I love that TTSX and TSX. I must hunt lead-free, and got 6 animals with 6 shots last season from 168 TTSX and 150 TSX.