Worried, need advice.....

@Ipace, Who did you hunt with in Namibia? I'm booked for a hunt in May 2017. My flights are booked and so is the outfitter. I'm overly excited about it, but your review of Namibia is making it worse! I too am a bowhunter.

Thanks for the great review.

Thanks for the report and sorry for your bad experience. I'm not so keen to go with "Hunt the Sun" anymore! I will continue my research....nice animals BTW.

Sad that you got hooked up with a poor excuse for an outfitter on the first part of your hunt! Glad the latter part was a good hunt.

Yikes - I hate to hear about bad experiences even thought they need to be told. Sounds like one poor excuse for an outfitter to me. Great to hear that your time in Namibia was enjoyable.

@Ipace, Who did you hunt with in Namibia? I'm booked for a hunt in May 2017. My flights are booked and so is the outfitter. I'm overly excited about it, but your review of Namibia is making it worse! I too am a bowhunter.

Thanks for the great review.

Hi Lrntolive,

I hunted in Namibia with Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris. My second trip there, a wonderful place to hunt. May is a great time for a bowhunter to go as the kudu rut is on. Kudu is high on my list, as such my PH wants me to hunt in May to catch the rut. As a school teacher that is not going to happen until retirement.

I hope you have a great hunt. I LOVE Namibia!

Thanks for the report and sorry for your bad experience. I'm not so keen to go with "Hunt the Sun" anymore! I will continue my research....nice animals BTW.

It makes me feel kinda bad to post a bad report, but on the other hand I would have given a months pay to have had the same information when I was booking! If you are considering Namibia as a destination, take a look at Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris. I know for a fact what it is like to hunt there (great animal density, great trophy quality, great support functions) and I recommend them highly. After my experience this summer, recommending an outfitter is not something to be taken lightly!

It makes me feel kinda bad to post a bad report, but on the other hand I would have given a months pay to have had the same information when I was booking!

Don't feel bad. It is how we all learn. Way too many great outfitters out there and we all need to know about sub standard ones.

It makes me feel kinda bad to post a bad report, but on the other hand I would have given a months pay to have had the same information when I was booking! ..............

If an Outfitter (Hunt the Sun) is willing to provide the type of camp/concession/accommodation you are describing to a paying customer other hunters need to know.
Customer feedback is the only way an Outfitter can learn (or not).
It is also the only way that hunters can "vote" with their feet. (Go elsewhere.)

The good the bad and the ugly can save a fellow hunter's entire trip.

Glad you enjoyed hunting in Namibia.

It makes me feel kinda bad to post a bad report, but on the other hand I would have given a months pay to have had the same information when I was booking! If you are considering Namibia as a destination, take a look at Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris. I know for a fact what it is like to hunt there (great animal density, great trophy quality, great support functions) and I recommend them highly. After my experience this summer, recommending an outfitter is not something to be taken lightly!
@Ipace, thanks for the info. And I agree with the others about the review. We all need to know that. I would say to be fair we should see if the PH would like to respond, but not my call.

My hunt is with Otjandaue next May. While Kudu is not on my list for my first hunt, I would like to think that I will be returning.

@Ipace, thanks for the info. And I agree with the others about the review. We all need to know that. I would say to be fair we should see if the PH would like to respond, but not my call.

My hunt is with Otjandaue next May. While Kudu is not on my list for my first hunt, I would like to think that I will be returning.

When planning my first trip, I thought it would be a 'once in a lifetime' event. Yeah right! After having been there for only a few days I knew I would be going back!

Lee, I am sorry to hear via the forum of your unhappiness after your hunt with us. We strive to ensure that all our clients have fantastic experiences which is evident in our high returning client rate. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your hunt in order to rectify your experience with us. We will contact you directly.

Well this ought to be interesting.........:A Blowup:

Sorry about your bad experience!!!

There are a lot of super outfits in the Northern Cape, so don't right the Provence off too quickly!!

It is without doubt my favorite province to hunt.

Good to see Hunt the Sun wants to sort something out!

Cheers

There is a great old Twilight Zone episode (I think it was TZ) where some evil guy hates the cold and upon his death he is sent to hell which is a freezing, snow blasted, mountain range. The devil is greeting him, and the fellow looks at the mountainside and a couple are skiing down, laughing, and cutting perfect curves in perfect powder. The fellow turns to the devil and asks something like "what is with them?", and God replies, "why they are in heaven. "

All of which is a long way around to say how important it is to make sure an outfitter is prepared to meet your particular needs (in your case, your spouse's comfort was obviously very important). This is a sport where one man's heaven truly can be another man's hell. We need to be sure an be thorough in our research, just as outfitters and owners need to be accurate in describing their operations.

@Red Leg great point. I know my wife is not interested in roughing it in an American style spike camp, so I pay special attention to the quality of accommodations and non-hunting activities offered by my outfitters.

With that said, Internet service was weak at best on my safari. It wasn't an issue for us, because we all spent every day out on the truck hunting and really enjoyed the break from our regular lives. Had my wife stayed in camp, it may have been a problem.

@Red Leg great point. I know my wife is not interested in roughing it in an American style spike camp, so I pay special attention to the quality of accommodations and non-hunting activities offered by my outfitters.

I do as well....

I did receive a communication from the outfitter. He will be meeting with the booking agent later this month and the 'situation' will be discussed. I will keep y'all posted on how this turns out.

Thanks for all of your support, advice and enchouragement!

I look forward to hearing about a resolution.

I received communication from Mike Birch from Hunt the Sun regarding resolving not enjoying my hunt there. I almost hesitate to post his official reply as the nature of the offer could potentially be abused. On the other hand, I think the offer is noteworthy enough to run the risk. The offer is a direct 'copy and paste' from the e-mail I received from Mike at Hunt the Sun:

"Lee,

We wish to offer you the following hunt in order to correct any bad feeling that you have towards Hunt the Sun. We pride ourselves in sending home satisfied and happy hunters and we would wish for you to be one of them.

10 day 1:1 hunt at any of HTS lodges that we operate at the time of booking (includes our Camp Guerney excludes Timbavati)
includes all amenities normally associated with such hunt, incl local airport pickup, PH, tracker/skinner, ground transport, lodging, food, beverages, field prep of trophies etc.
valid for 2017 or 2018 season only, subject to availability at the time of booking. Usual terms and conditions apply.

choice of either Bushbuck, Black springbuck or White springbuck trophy.
2 cull animals at the PH discretion.

I trust that you will find this satisfactory.

regards,
Mike."

So, right of hand I would say that if an individual did not find that 'satisfactory', nothing would ever be satisfactory. I certainly find it satisfactory!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg