Woodleigh

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by BigBoreShooter777, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BigBoreShooter777

BigBoreShooter777 New Member

What are your thoughts on the performance of the Woodleigh solids and soft points? Do they hold together well? Do they penetrate well? Are they all around good performers?

Thanks
  2. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    bbs777 read the similar threads underneath about woodleigh vs hornady, there is some info there.
  3. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA,Military Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    I have been using Woodleighs for about 15 years and have never had a failure. Used 375 H&H 300gn solids and softs as well as 416 410gn solids and softs in Africa last year. All performed as they should. Infact, my PH kept all my spare ammo when I left. I have no hesitation in recommending woodleigh projectiles.
  4. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DU, DSC
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania
    Bullets are one of my favorite subjects.

Woodleighs have worked for a long time. Some love them (especially the Aussies) and others hate them.

It is my opinion Woodleigh softs are ok driven at proper velocity. Push them too hard and they will fail. I believe the Swift A-Frame to be better and the North Fork softs to be the best bonded expanding bullet. The TSX are very good also.

When it comes to solids I much prefer the North Fork flat nose and the Cutting Edge BBW 13 over any other solid. These are monolithic solids, are tough, and will penetrate true and deep. Woodleigh also offers the Hydro, another very good monolithic solid.

There is another class of bullets, Non Conventional bullets. The North Fork cup point solid is a great buffalo bullet. It is an expanding solid. The Cutting Edge Non Con is another good bullet.
  5. messmate

messmate AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Sporting Shooters Association Australia. Australian Deer Association
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    Must agree with Richteb...I used the 300 Grn woodleigh weldcore Sp at about 2600fps (375R), on all game from bushbuck to buffalo and never had an issue. The one shot on the buff went straight through the lungs and exited the off side from a broadside shot. Can't see you going wrong with them.
  6. Poucher

Poucher AH Member

Weldcore and A-frame I would recommend them to every body on any african game