Wish me luck on my first elk hunt tags

If you don't get a tag (I hope you do draw), if you're looking for a cow elk, Kiowa Hunting does cow elk hunts very reasonably on what used to be the Forbes ranch near Raton. They have landowner tags and the ranch is 500,000 acres not high fenced, pretty much 100% success ratio. I booked a hunt there for my youngest son when I developed a heart problem suddenly in 2010 (I'm a lot better now). He and my wife went and my son got his first elk. Wasn't expensive and this picture tells it all.
thanks Colorado, but we're wanting a trophy hunt..... with some meat to bring home too.
I've done a few hunts, but my list for North America is pretty long.
If we strike out, we'll either try to:
1. find a private land elk hunt.
2. do a bear hunt.
3. a Canadian hunt for elk, goat, or moose. (albeit goat and moose is more than my partner wants to spend).
4. Heck, I'd just as soon go back to Africa if we struck out, but he's not crazy about that idea.

Best of luck, I got my best elk (7x7) about 1/4 mile behind my house on National Forest land when I lived in Divide, CO. Now I'm down in the flatlands (Colorado Springs) so I have to drive to hunt ...

Colorado...know anything about Unit #21 just south of Rangely? Some buddies and I put in for non-resident elk tags there. Supposedly it's pretty good odds.

I don't sorry, I've only hunted northwest of Gunnison GMU 54 and 59 where we have land. 54 was good if you drew the early rifle season. The road was bad though, not quite the Rubicon but you probably wanted an ATV.

I drew the early rifle hunt in Az, I have mixed feelings about meat and 80F but Ill still go and get the animal out fast.
Hope you get one!

Colorado...know anything about Unit #21 just south of Rangely? Some buddies and I put in for non-resident elk tags there. Supposedly it's pretty good odds.
Don't know too much about that unit, but based on the archery stats for that area it has its up and down years. Bull to cow ratio is 21:100 and it is mostly BLM with private mixed in.
I'd make sure you study topo maps more to get a feel for the terrain. One thing you want to try and avoid is riding around in vehicles or on ATVs too much. I see way to many non-residents come to Colorado and sit in their vehicles thinking elk will come to them. Get away from all those guys and get into quiet areas and you'll be better off. Good luck.

Don't know too much about that unit, but based on the archery stats for that area it has its up and down years. Bull to cow ratio is 21:100 and it is mostly BLM with private mixed in.
I'd make sure you study topo maps more to get a feel for the terrain. One thing you want to try and avoid is riding around in vehicles or on ATVs too much. I see way to many non-residents come to Colorado and sit in their vehicles thinking elk will come to them. Get away from all those guys and get into quiet areas and you'll be better off. Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

If you don't get a tag (I hope you do draw), if you're looking for a cow elk, Kiowa Hunting does cow elk hunts very reasonably on what used to be the Forbes ranch near Raton. They have landowner tags and the ranch is 500,000 acres not high fenced, pretty much 100% success ratio. I booked a hunt there for my youngest son when I developed a heart problem suddenly in 2010 (I'm a lot better now). He and my wife went and my son got his first elk. Wasn't expensive and this picture tells it all.

I and several other people had very disappointing hunts with this outfit. Very low success. Totally hunting from a vehicle sort of setup. Not as advertised and certainly not the kind of hunting our party appreciated.

Drew a late muzzloader hunt in AZ. Now just have to decide if I take my 12bore round ball gun or get my 8 bore round ball gun finished. My buddies are using the little 50 inline jobbies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross