Wish me luck on my first elk hunt tags

Savage Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I am applying for my first elk hunt tags.
My friend and are putting in for New Mexico.
1st choice- rifle
2nd choice Muzzleloader
3rd choice- Archery.

Draw odds are supposedly 30+ %

Not sure what we will do if we don't get drawn. Maybe a fall bear hunt.
There are some private land tag hunts out there for elk, too, but much more.

I need this elk or my poor family might starve thru the winter. :unsure:

Don't want the family to starve.

Good fortune on your draw.

Rph
I sure hope you get a tag! Good luck!

Good luck, there is always Colorado, Montana, and Idaho for over the counter tags if you can find land to hunt

Good luck, there is always Colorado, Montana, and Idaho for over the counter tags if you can find land to hunt
There is no trouble finding land to hunt in those states. That is unless you are looking for private property but why would you with all the National Forest in those states that hold elk.

Yep plenty of land in those states, I guess I meant if your not familiar with them and are far away, then being able to find land that suites you and your needs, and make your plans

Hope you draw your New Mexico elk tag. I've hunted elk about 7 times over the past 15 in Montana and one of the reasons why is when you want to go hunt, even a non-resident can get a tag. It's pricey, but you get your tag and you can plan your hunt. The outfitter I've used in Montana is Rising Son Outfitters (http://www.huntinginmontana.com/) and can't say enough good things about them. Great family run operation. I'm taking my new son-in-law on a late season rifle elk hunt in 2017.

If you don't draw, it's probably too late to apply for Montana as I think the deadline is March 15th. An alternative to an elk hunt in New Mexico could be a Nilgai hunt in south Texas. You will put a lot of very good tasting meat in the freezer............so the family won't starve! Hunting Nilgai is very much like hunting PG in Africa.

Savage Hunter....................................You may want to develop a "plan B" just in case. The apps don't always work out. Tuesday I received my 34th straight elk tag rejection from Wyoming (Unit 100 or 58), and made my 19th straight applic for Utah (San Jaun), and reviewed 15 straight rejections from Oregon (Weneha)...........I hope you do better, but have a plan B......................FWB

Last edited by a moderator:
Flatwater which hunt are you putting in for on the San Juan, early or late?

Either one will be like hitting the lottery if you ever do draw with only 3 non resident tag on the early season and only 1 on the late. But then none of Utah's great elk hunting areas offer very good odds for the non resident.

I have bounced around with early, late, Elk Ridge too.................same with deer, Paunsgt, Henrys, Book cliffs............. the non res hunt license which is necessary to apply in Utah is only 65 bucks then 5 per applic so 8 apps still only 105 $ This the 19th year................I didn't fully summarize the futility and frustration of it all, did not want to discourage the newbie.....but have 20 st rejections Idaho, and 25 in Montana, a couple in past from Ariz as well...........................maxed out pref points in some states but Utah has 20 possible points and I was two years behind when first applying, so with 18 points my odds not great......but.....maybe this time..........however, I will also have a plan B.....FWB

the unit I am applying for in New Mexico is about 30+ % draw rate.

My plan B is maybe a bear hunt this year. I will know late April, so still time to book a fall bear hunt if unsuccessful.

My wife wants back in Africa in 2017, but I don't know. Maybe.

thanks guys. the units we are applying for are in the Gila National Forest.

I think your plan "B" should be is a landowner tag. Yes, you will pay more. There are lots of landowner tags in Unit 4, which I have hunted. The smaller outfitters will have reasonable priced hunts. The larger outfitters will change more, the giant ones charge and arm and a leg, but have larger elk. Then there is the private elk herds where you can take as large as your bank account.

If we don't draw, the outfitter we're booking with only has access to "unit wide landowner tags" which are crazy expensive. basically, doubling the price of the hunt to well over $10K.
I would not pay that, but if I did, I wouldn't bother entering the draw.

the private land tags that are "ranch specific" are much more reasonably priced and we might just look at one of those if not drawn.

We chose to enter the draw with this outfitter because the size and shot opportunity seem better than other places we looked...... if drawn.

If you don't get a tag (I hope you do draw), if you're looking for a cow elk, Kiowa Hunting does cow elk hunts very reasonably on what used to be the Forbes ranch near Raton. They have landowner tags and the ranch is 500,000 acres not high fenced, pretty much 100% success ratio. I booked a hunt there for my youngest son when I developed a heart problem suddenly in 2010 (I'm a lot better now). He and my wife went and my son got his first elk. Wasn't expensive and this picture tells it all.

Attachments

• P1000209.jpg
    P1000209.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck! I struck out it looks like in AZ this year, not surprising after drawing last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!