Winchester Model 70

Thanks guys....only reason I posted is because I was tickled to get it. Sierra, I will keep your offer in mind.
When I bought mine two years ago, keeping in mind it was already some 20 years old, the only thing I had my son do to it was to lighten the trigger to about 3 # from around 7#. Everything else is very smooth.

Could the bases be EAW "Pivot Mount" brand / model ?

Your absolutely correct sir. I did some research and found out that they are used extensively around the world and do what they advertise as returning to zero every time. Since the bases are there, I thought about getting the rings and saving some money. I found the one inch rings a site that would fit this. One hundred bucks plus shipping. The other side of me says to take bases off and use Warn or Talley and call it a day.

Man that looks great....Looks almost the same as my new model 70 I bought last month...Congratulations

Took the bases off and put a set of Warne bases and rings. Then mounted a leuy on it. I'll see if it shoots as good as my newer one.

Excellent looking rifle, I'm always on the hunt for M70s

I just bought a push feed in .375 H&H several months ago because it was $495. I already had a new FN Winchester in CRF in the same caliber but it was too good a deal to pass up. The guy who had it before had milled threads into the barrel and put a brake on it (yuck!) so I had the barrel cut and re-crowned at 23.5". It is probably one of the smoothest actions I have every run with my hands (second only to the original krag Jorgensen 1898 in .30-40). The rifle also had been bedded and the stock cut shorter to accommodate a shorter LOP. I added a new 1-1/2" pad with a 3/8" black and white spacer and it actually looks really good. It was a later model with the nice cut checkering, not the awful pressed stuff. New sights brought the whole piece back to more or less it's original condition. I put Talley Mounts and a Leupold VXII on it and it is a tack driver.

While I do have a preference for CRF actions (More for tradition than anything), the sako style extractor on these winchester push feeds is incredibly reliable and I feel it would tear a chunk out of the rim before it let it slip by. All in all, it is a beautiful rifle that shoots like a dream and I am going to take it after moose in ontario next year!

Congrats on the sweet rifle, now you can join the Winchester M70 Push feed owner's club! ....If there is such a thing(y)

Wow at 495.00 that was a DEAL...I like mine. Just put a leupold 1.5-5x 24 on it. I too have the newer Winchester M70 Safari and it's a tack driver. The wood on my older one is nicer though. If bought at a lower enough price, they truly can't be beat. I have a M70 super grade in 30-06 and the bluing on that rifle is like a mirror.

Wow at 495.00 that was a DEAL...I like mine. Just put a leupold 1.5-5x 24 on it. I too have the newer Winchester M70 Safari and it's a tack driver. The wood on my older one is nicer though. If bought at a lower enough price, they truly can't be beat. I have a M70 super grade in 30-06 and the bluing on that rifle is like a mirror.
Yeah the guy had done a chop job on it. But once I was through with it, it looked more or less factory... you wouldn't notice unless you measured the barrel, which is now about 3/4" shorter than it was. But the bluing was great and the wood on the stock was still very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you