Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
Ok guys, I need a little help here. I know someone who is thinking to sell their set. It is a complete set, early serial #, NIB with bolts never even in the guns. I can't seem to find a lot of pricing info on these, but given the price of custom model 70's in classic African calibers, and the fact it is early in a collectors series I'm thinking they are worth $25-30k. Am I in the ballpark or way off base? Also is this set a popular one with collectors and likely to sell quickly? What are your thoughts?

Ok guys, I need a little help here. I know someone who is thinking to sell their set. It is a complete set, early serial #, NIB with bolts never even in the guns. I can't seem to find a lot of pricing info on these, but given the price of custom model 70's in classic African calibers, and the fact it is early in a collectors series I'm thinking they are worth $25-30k. Am I in the ballpark or way off base? Also is this set a popular one with collectors and likely to sell quickly? What are your thoughts?
Are all of the boxes and tags included?

Boxes yes, tags- not sure but from the sounds I would say yes
A set of all 5 rifles unfired was on Guns America maybe last winter. The owner was asking $24995 for the set. I have no way of knowing if he were able to obtain that price. @ActionBob , among others knows a lot about these rifles. Maybe he'll respond. I have recently heard of a full set going for as little as $15000.
So based on my little knowledge, we can estimate $15000 to $25000!!! Not very exact I know.
Boxes yes, tags- not sure but from the sounds I would say yes

Albert,
The last set I saw for sale was in the 15k-18k range. I believe there were 125 sets of rifles produced. Many of these sets have been broken up and sold as singles. Singles I have seen in the 2500-4500 range and not a lot of movement on them at that. I think they are beautiful rifles but I don't think there is any doors being knocked over to get at them. I would love to have a set but would have a hard time justifying the money on rifles to look at.

$15000 is retail and value will go down. !
Nothing remarkable about them and since sold as "collectibles" new, odds are that value will decrease over time.

Better off buying 5 pre-64 model 70s for that kind of money.

I was not looking to buy them, just finding out what a reasonable asking price would be. I find it a bit odd that values would drop for a collectors set in unfired condition- especially since there were so few made and most sets have been broken. However I do agree that buying them in pre 64 models would be a more reasonable thing to do both to hold value and have useful purpose!

@Albert GRANT here's a general tip from a collector of collectibles:

If any product is marketed as "collectors edition" with much hype from the onset it usually has NO value in the long run.

Valuable collectibles were considered consumable when newly issued. As most are used and consumed the survivors in mint become rare and then you get value. This applies to rifles, comics, Elvis memorabilia or anything else.

Winchesters and Brownings are most troublesome because most are soulless having been made as collectors items in collectors boxes and they had more limited editions than regular guns it seems. What's worth a fortune? The early guns from an era before people collected anything...mint ones of those are the treasures.

I don't endorse post-64 Winchesters for collectibles for all the above reasons.

@Albert GRANT here's a general tip from a collector of collectibles:

If any product is marketed as "collectors edition" with much hype from the onset it usually has NO value in the long run.

Valuable collectibles were considered consumable when newly issued. As most are used and consumed the survivors in mint become rare and then you get value. This applies to rifles, comics, Elvis memorabilia or anything else.

Winchesters and Brownings are most troublesome because most are soulless having been made as collectors items in collectors boxes and they had more limited editions than regular guns it seems. What's worth a fortune? The early guns from an era before people collected anything...mint ones of those are the treasures.

I don't endorse post-64 Winchesters for collectibles for all the above reasons.
I understand all that, I just thought it might be different if the run were limited and most sets were broken up. Figured the intact sets would hold value, but I get what you are saying

Are they based on the pre-64 CRF design or the post-64 push feed? That would make a lot of difference in my mind, though one of my favorite rifles is our old BDL in 270 Win.

I suppose if one had unlimited resources a collection like that would be kinda cool, I have a Anniversary edition Weatherby, but the only reason I bought it was because it was done up old school, it still goes to the range on a regular basis

Are they based on the pre-64 CRF design or the post-64 push feed? That would make a lot of difference in my mind, though one of my favorite rifles is our old BDL in 270 Win.
Yes, all of these rifles are controlled feed.
Unless you are a dedicated collector and really want the 5 gun set , it is probably a better deal to just pick the caliber you want and hunt for that particular rifle at Guns International or the Bi-Annual Tulsa Show. I pretty much agree with Rookhawk except that a collector of all most any group of items may very well not be interested in making money, he just wants to own it, or in this case "them".

Last edited:
Yes, all of these rifles are controlled feed.
Unless you are a dedicated collector and really want the 5 gun set , it is probably a better deal to just pick the caliber you want and hunt for that particular rifle at Guns International or the Bi-Annual Tulsa Show. I pretty much agree with Rookhawk except that a collector of all most any group of items may very well not be interested in making money, he just wants to own it, or in this case "them".

Thanks! Then I'm lusting for one in 375 H&H. The 470 Capstick called to me once too, but I have a 500 Jeffery to scratch that itch.

The important thing is the letters of authenticity that came with.
He said he had all the paperwork, so I'm guessing the letters are part of it. He seems to have decided on $17,500. If anyone is interested I can let him know

This is a set of 5 rifles, and yes I feel the same.

$15000 is retail and value will go down. !
Nothing remarkable about them and since sold as "collectibles" new, odds are that value will decrease over time.

Better off buying 5 pre-64 model 70s for that kind of money.
I don't think the value would go down. I remember a new special issue 458 (anniversary or Cabelas or something) that was really nice for $1200 and thinking I should buy it. Now no longer available new and I've seen them between $1400 and $1800 used.... And where are you going to find a factory Model 70 in 470 capstick?

I do think these will hold their value and long term go up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,