Winchester 70 - 416Rigby

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Alcornoque, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Alcornoque

Alcornoque AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Argentina, Spain, Turkey,...
    Friends,

how are you all!
    Its been time since I do not hung around the frum, I have been busy ar work.

I got I question for you all.
    Have you ever seen a winchester 70 or pre 64 transformed into a 416Rigby? it is posible to open this action to fit this 416Rigby cartige?

The thing is I love 416Rigby and one of my favourite action is the Winchester 70.
    I guess it would not be a bad idea to have a 416Rigby with a winchester action!

Looking forwad to get your comments-

Thanks

2. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA,Military Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    I am fairly certain that in 1994 Winchester made the mod 70 in 416 Rem Mag in their Clasic Super Express. I therefore assume that as long the action on your Winchester is magnum length the gunsmith should be able to rebarrel for 416 Rigby. As far as I know Winchester never actually chambered the big Rigby as factory standard. I am also sure that many such conversions have been done in the past and will continue to be done in the future.

3. 505ED

505ED AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC,NRA,DRSS
    Hunted:
    North America, South America, South Africa
    416 rigby

the short of a long answer is Yes. The M70 can be made into a Rigby, you have to cut quite a bit of metal out
    of it but it can be done, hell a M98 can be made into a Rigby--about the same! I have seen a number of M70's
    that were made into 416 rigbys. Good luck on your project

Ed

4. .416 Rigby

.416 Rigby AH Member

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, Dallas Safari Club, African Safari Club, Ruffed Grouse Society, Wild Sheep Foundation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Argentina, United States
    I would not recommend such a project as way too much metal needs to be removed. If you want a .416 Rigby, simply get a CZ, Dakota or Ruger in .416 Rigby. It will cost less and likely work better. It will certainly be stronger without all that metal cut away.