Wild animals threatening Botswana's farms

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa

• Rakops - As roaming animals destroy crops and damage property, frustrated locals wonder: does Botswana's government value the animal kingdom more than its citizens?

For 21-year-old Botswanan farmer Letsile Pataabotwe, the majestic elephants that tens of thousands of tourists come to admire every year are nothing but trouble.

"A few weeks ago, I saw a group of them trampling our fields," says Pataabotwe, who works on his mother's land in Rakops, outside the north-eastern border of the central Kalahari Game Reserve in the centre of the country.

"I reported the incident to the wildlife authorities, but I had already lost 300 sacks' worth of maize," the young farmer says in front of his concrete house, peering over the road to the fields.

Pataabotwe's problem reflects a decades-long conflict between man and beast in Botswana - one that affects hundreds of thousands of people living near conservation areas in the southern African country.

"The compensation I will get from the government after months will not be anywhere near what the harvest would have been worth," he says. "Elephants should all be killed, or sold to other countries!"

Nearly 40% of Botswana falls under two categories of protected land: game reserves, where the only human activities are conservation efforts and tourism; or wildlife management areas, where the rules on human activity are less strict.

The country's conservation policies in turn support its tourism industry, which is based almost entirely on wildlife and makes up nearly 9% of gross domestic product.

These policies also affect another aspect of Botswana's economy: cattle.

Today, the country's nearly 3 million heads of cattle are mostly owned by the beef industry, which analysts describe as having links to politicians.

But the roaming cattle of smaller-scale farmers are threatened by the wild animals wandering the land - animals that include elephants, lions, leopards and others, according to John Weldon McNutt, who heads the Botswana Predator Conservation Trust in Maun.

The wealth of a Botswanan has traditionally been measured by the number of cattle he or she has, and a farmer's loss of cattle to a predator represents a blow to his livelihood.

According to experts at the University of Botswana, thousands of kilometres of double wire fences were erected around wildlife areas between the 1950s and 1990s. The move was prompted in part by the European Union, a major importer of Botswanan beef, which wanted to prevent buffaloes from infecting cattle with foot-and-mouth disease.

The fences prevented animal herds from using migratory routes in search of water in the dry season, leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of wildebeest between 1979 and 1985, said fencing expert Richard Fynn from the university.

Animals have now adapted to the fences, which in some cases have saved zebras and wildebeest from starvation by segregating their feeding ground from that of cattle, wildlife expert Chris Brooks said.

But the fences have not been as effective in keeping wild animals away from areas of human settlement.

According to locals, elephants knock fences down, destroy crops, tear up water pipes and invade waterholes used by the community - clearing the way for other animals to come through in their wake.

"Jackals attacked my sheep, and my neighbour's donkeys were maimed by hyenas," Pataabotwe says.

Hunting is banned in Botswana, but farmers often grab a gun or resort to poison when a wild dog or a leopard attacks their livestock.

"The killing of a cow by a wild animal is viewed very seriously by police," McNutt said, explaining that the authorities often overlook the shooting of a predator by a farmer whose cattle was attacked.

Official farmers' representatives declined to be interviewed, saying they were discussing problems related to property damage with the government.

President Ian Khama's government has been lauded internationally for its conservation policies. But many Botswanans feel the authorities "regard wildlife as being more important than people", said Gaseitsiwe Masunga, a research scholar on landscape ecology at the University of Botswana.

"We support tourism, but who wants to lose his cow to a lion?" asked one farmer, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The government is trying to win acceptance of wildlife with educational measures and by encouraging tourism companies to share some of their profits with local communities.

But as farmers continue to lose livestock to predators, solving the conflict between humans and wildlife may require a more effective compensation system, McNutt said.

Innovative ideas, he added, could also help.

Instead of trying to separate humans from wildlife with fences, McNutt's Botswana Predator Conservation Trust proposes using animal faeces, urine or similar chemical substances to mark territorial boundaries that animals would naturally respect.

"The technique could be used with lions, leopards, hyenas, wild dogs and possibly even elephants," said McNutt, whose organization is developing chemical substances for the technique in its laboratory.

- SAPA

www.news24.com

Last edited by a moderator:
''
The farmers will propbably just shoot alot of that stuff. We would here in America. I believe that is what the government of Botswana really wants anyway

Sad to hear the plight of the young farmer. Better management is no doubt called for or as lawaters indicates the farmers will begin killing the wildlife.

But as farmers continue to lose livestock to predators, solving the conflict between humans and wildlife may require a more effective compensation system, McNutt said.

Innovative ideas, he added, could also help.

- SAPA

www.news24.com

I heard there were some places where they developed a permitting system for hunting. They were actually able to get people to pay money to shoot a certain amount of the wildlife. Rather than the government compensating farmers for animals or crops lost to wildlife, the farmers could earn enough income from the wildlife to offset losses while simultaneously diversifying their income stream. I don't know if it would work in Botswana.

Conservation is a balance that has to take into account man and his needs. The anti hunters just want animals alive, but they don't acknowledge when thousands die of lack of water or food. Hunting could help here while increasing that 9% to help people. More animals alive is not the answer, managed sustainably is what is needed. It's so frustrating that these groups cannot see the big picture.

Conservation is a balance that has to take into account man and his needs. The anti hunters just want animals alive, but they don't acknowledge when thousands die of lack of water or food. Hunting could help here while increasing that 9% to help people. More animals alive is not the answer, managed sustainably is what is needed. It's so frustrating that these groups cannot see the big picture.
Scott;
That sums it up with practicality and realism! Two things you won't find in politics very often.

Scott, when photos of animals dying of starvation or lack of water hit the public eye, do you think the antis will step up to the plate and send money to aide the animals?

Sad - One is tempted to stand back and say, "I told you so" but that really doesn't help the humans or the animals. Hopefully, the locals will wake up and put pressure on the government to bring back sustainable hunting.

No not at all that is the problem their only answer is save the animals. They don't support their own rhetoric. They put political pressure on the law makers and they don't have the courage to step up and speak the truth. Put your money where your mouth is.
Scott, when photos of animals dying of starvation or lack of water hit the public eye, do you think the antis will step up to the plate and send money to aide the animals?

This scenario is nothing new in Botswana. A lot, in fact all of my staff have this problem out on their Cattle Posts (Farms) but to put the shoe on the other foot. Some, not all, farmers are to blame for human/wildlife conflict. During times of drought they will cut the fences into the reserves so their animals can get to better grazing areas. Cattle then gets attacked by lions, farmers cry! Also they will plant crops along the pans after rains inside the reserve, elephants eat the crops, farmers cry!
The Botswana government tried, to implement a compensation scheme for the farmers but they quickly realised the flaw as farmers would shoot an elephant, report it as being a pest animal and then eat the meat. Thus saving the cattle numbers to increase. They would also go into the reserve shoot a lion, report it as a pest animal, saying it had killed 10 of their cattle and then claim the governments compensation, mean while that lion hadn't killed a single animal. SO the government has no said, No one touches a wild animal, no matter how bad the problem.
The only way to rectify this is to re-open hunting. That is the only way.

Another point, Historically Elephants never occurred in the Rakops area of Botswana (going by what I was told by one of my guides) and the fact they are having problems with Elephants in that area shows an over population of Elephants in the country!

Kind regards
Jono

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross