Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Mexico, New Zealand, Namibia
We got back saturday from the most physically and mentally challenging hunt I have ever been on. We hunted with Max Schwab out of Healy, Ak. We fly to Anchorage on the 16th and overnighted. Woke early on the 17th to take shuttle to Healy then took turns on the super cub flying to base camp. We were concerned because the first hunters had been weathered in for 9 of 10 days and came out without ever really getting to hunt, but had a nice first night in wall tents with stoves and a nice good final full meal before setting out. We awoke to a beautiful morning and headed down the Wood River in the raft. We beached the raft around 11am and organized our gear and headed up the drainage. The game plan was to hunt the different drainages off a large mountain for the next 5 days living out of our packs and eating freeze dried meals then return to the raft and head down stream to a different camp. Over the next 5 days we saw alot of country and alot of sheep, but we were not coming across any legal rams. The hike down was probably one of the most depressing points of the hunt. The guides said it would be possible to do a 1 or 2 day hunt out of the lower camp, but after spending 5 days all in them it didn't seem like it would be enough. We made a 2 hr float down and got a good meal and a good night sleep. The next day one of our guides made a nice shower for my wife and we rested up while glassing sheep country for camp. About 2pm my wife spotted 4 rams that looked like they needed a better look with in striking distance so we ate a big meal then made a river crossing and headed up creek to spike for the night at the base of the hill. The guys determined that 2 rams looked good so we would make the climb in the morning. By the time the fog cleared it was around 11am and we figured the rams had feed over the top. We finally creasted the top @ 8 pm and after a short stalk to get in range my wife made a nice shot @ 150yrds and dispatched the only legal ram seen on the trip. After a good celabration and a ton of pictures we headed down around 10:45 pm & finally reached our spike camp @ 4am. We hunted together so I never got a chance but feel very accomplished to get my wife her ram as this hunt was her birthday present. Alaska is a complete adventure and I can't wait to get a chance to get back.

DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG
DSC_0053.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG
DSC_0079.JPG
DSC_0114.JPG
DSC_0139.JPG
DSC_0163.JPG
DSC_0174.JPG
DSC_0177.JPG
DSC_0204.JPG
DSC_0257.JPG
DSC_0275.JPG
DSC_0289.JPG
DSC_0299.JPG
DSC_0300.JPG
DSC_0311.JPG
DSC_0328.JPG
DSC_0344.JPG
DSC_0396.JPG
DSC_0466.JPG
DSC_0470.JPG
DSC_0495.JPG
DSC_0502.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done guys! Looks like it was a wonderfull trip!

Best regards,

Jacques

Just beautiful! Nicely done and thanks for posting so many pictures of your hunt... I see that you made good use of your AH cap in Alaska!

Congrats to your wife on a great sheep, I hope to do this one day, but have a hard time saving for a hunt because I keep booking more.

Congratulations, the pictures look terrific!

You are lucky, a beautiful wife and a hunt of a lifetime!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!