Why you should consider hunting dangerous game in South Africa

Very nice bull Nyati. Yes SA has much to offer the big game hunter!

Some more great examples of what SA has to offer!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Awesome - looking forward to seeing what God produces!
There are certainly some very fine animals in SA.

And if you're refering to God using man as a tool to produce them, then you're spot on;)

Our next hunt starts soon for free range Croc & Hippo. Will post some pictures when we get them.

Many valid thoughts and hunting experiences have been stated here. However, it is my belief that comparisons about hunting conditions are better made by actually experiencing hunting in more than a single area or country.

By remaining in a comfort zone and never venturing beyond the same hunting location or country I do not think a proper comparison can be made.

Just my 2 cents.

@Big5 I do agree with you. I myself have hunted 4 countries in Africa, but not all of them, and your statement is very accurate!

This discussion is not to discourage hunting Africa outside of SA at all, Africa is an amazing place to hunt doesnt matter where in Africa.

My aim towards this discussion was simply to clear up some things, as over the last few months I've heard so many hunters saying SA is all canned and not good to book safaris there, which is i believe the case in some places, and those are the outfits we must outline, because it gives all the good outfitting companies and area a bad name as well, while there are still some great big game hunting in SA.

Thank you for your opinion as well its much appreciated, and sure our fellow AH members can also benefit from it, which is the ultimate goal.

@Big5 . . . This discussion is not to discourage hunting Africa outside of SA at all, Africa is an amazing place to hunt doesnt matter where in Africa.

My post was in no way meant to discourage or diminish hunting in any particular location or country anywhere in the world. It was to encourage the sometime advantage of broadening horizons.

@Big5. My apologies if my reply read wrong, i totaly agree with you, and is a well stated point, if possible explore and hunt as many countries as possible, all of them have great hunts and adventures to explore.

Ive personally done SA, Botswana, Zambia and Moz, which where all amazing! Would still like to start in Tanz and Zim in the near future.

We are off to start a buffalo hunt again today, will update as the hunt progresse.

While our hunting party is still out hunting for buffalo, I was called out on a problem animal and shot this nice bull on one of our other concessions, he will be in my trophy room in a few months!
image.jpeg

Hi Royal27,

The preferences you spoke of in your above post all fit what I experienced on Maruli concession (Baruli ?), SA, including an hour flight from the big airport, in a twin prop plane, to a gravel strip "airport", then an hour ride in a bakki to overnight at the main lodge, check rifle zero, recover from jet lag, etc.

Up before light to ride a couple hours to where my buffalo permit was written for.
Lion and leopard tracks commonly present, grumpy elephants we had to back away from, etc.
Land owner warned us the local Kruger buffaloes are not accustomed to people and so will treat us as they do lions (challenge us instead of running away.)
Long story short, it was just so when we finally closed with my bull, in other words, we were hunkered down in some brush when he instead closed with us.

Wasn't a charge but definitely walking toward us, with focus stopping to shake his mighty head now and then (I presume a gorilla would've been beating his own chest under these circumstances).
Very exciting and definitely not anyone's house pet.
Never saw other people or even any other person's shoe track while hunting there.

IMO, it's all about hiring the right safari company / PH, not so much which country that makes or breaks the hunting experience.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Who may I ask did you hunt with?

Ill throw in my opinion here.. Not being a wealthy man I need the best chance possible at shooting a buffalo. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to see a fence every 30 minutes but from what I understand buffalo in fenced areas in SA are wild and will hurt you. I think if you hunt a large enough area you will get a great hunt provided your with the right outfit. Am I wrong?

and will hurt you
not to detract from the tracking buffalo down the tar road on this thread.. But this is correct! Possibly more dangerous than in some really wild places as they surely see humans more and may not fear man as much... On that point, we had a very stout neighbor in his prime killed a couple years ago by a Holstein bull right inside the barn... A buffalo is surely much more dangerous than that! I think I would be more scared of a buffalo in a smaller enclosure than a larger one and certainly more scared of them in any enclosure than in the wilds of Zimbabwe for example!

Damned straight they will hurt you!

I agree Charlie!

Charlie, I will disagree with buffalo in smaller area being maybe more dangerous, you corner any buff and he's going to be pissed off....

Who may I ask did you hunt with?

Hannes Swanepoel Safaris (about 25 KM from Gravelotte, in Limpopo District).
Duke Safaris is a partner company with Swanepoel, when one or the other needs to borrow an extra PH or vehicle, rifle, whatever.
I recommend either one of these companies.
Neither of them participates in this Forum unfortunately so, out of respect for those Safari Companies who do, I generally don't advertise very heavily here for my above mentioned friends.
PM me for details if you like.

Also, it looks to me as though This Is Africa Safaris and whomever CAustin hunts with, are probably quite good, not to mention several others advertising within this Forum that seem to be quite good as well.
I would not hesitate to book a Namibia trip, either to Jerome's place or to Westfallen Safaris while we're on this subject.
And there are more in all hunting countries, including South Africa, Namibia, and all of them that, post here and appear to be quite good.
My only disappointing Safari was my first because I booked through Cabela's and chose the cheapest one they offered - you sometimes get what you pay for, I surely did.
It taught me a serious lesson and I will not forget it - "Do your home work" before making your down payment.

Last edited:
Cabela's screwed up one hunt on me years ago I would never use them or recommend them. I know Charlie hunted with Pieter of Paw print Safaris who get's outstanding reviews on the forum. I was planning to hunt with Pieter in 2017 for buffalo but now I don't know I may retry leopard in Namibia if the permit becomes available with the person I m planning to hunt with.

Cabela's screwed up one hunt on me years ago I would never use them or recommend them. I know Charlie hunted with Pieter of Paw print Safaris who get's outstanding reviews on the forum. I was planning to hunt with Pieter in 2017 for buffalo but now I don't know I may retry leopard in Namibia if the permit becomes available with the person I m planning to hunt with.

Paw Print Safaris - that's the one.
With my apology to them, I could not remember their name when typing my previous response (getting senile I guess).

Cabela's hunting trips are sort of a mixed bag, from my point of view.
A few years later, I thoroughly did my homework on a particular Hunting Guide in Montana (Babsie Bishop) because they were offering a guaranteed antelope tag (Fort Belknap Indian Reservation, near Malta, Montana) and 3 days of grouse hunting, over professionally trained English pointers.

And, I ended up booking the above deal - it was perfect and I would happily book with Babsie again.
He was tip-top, and the "buck & bird" hunting was excellent as well (pronghorn skull shown in my "Photos" category of this Forum is mine from that hunt).
But again, Cabela's is not one to just blindly book a hunt with (neither is any booking agency IMO).
Let the buyer beware, as the saying goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you