Why Not A Double Rifle?

Why not consider a double rifle for big game hunting in North America?

• Total voters
Lobo, if you want to get into doubles, a good entry level rifle can be had for under $1000. Have a look at the Baikal's. They are crude and will need trigger work as well as some reshaping of the stock.
But they will shoot very well! You regulate the barrels to the load with a small wheel between the pipes. A perfect truck gun that you won't mind getting a few dings in it.

You know I have seen them but "thought to good to be true". Have you shot one? Because I would try one if thought it wasn't a waste of time and cash.

Yes I have. It was an 06 SXS and it had not had a trigger job yet.( IIRC he paid the `smith about $125 for the work) The owner had adjusted the pipes and it was very accurate. The comb on the stock is too high so if you can run a file or rasp you can fix it. There have been a few of the 45-70 that needed a bit if fitting at the muzzles but that's easy also. BUT you do need to know a bit about working with your hands.
I haven't shot the O/U's or the 45-70 SXS but given the chance I wouldn't hesitate.

If I didn't want to $pend a fortune I'd get one of these and start adjusting them to fit you.

BUT BEWARE! DR's are addicting

ha yeah yeah Its te BB97 o/u in 30-06 that has really caught my eye, But in the mean time the USSG/baikal deal... maybe. I saw a youtube video on a 45-70 baikal that turned me off. The guys groups were very unimpressive to say the least. But I am gonna give'em a second look.

Don't judge them because of one. That guy might not know how to set it?

I did not vote because all the choices were negative.
No one needs a double rifle "I read that somewhere". But man they are a hoot to use and get to no. Doubles go to priorities, just about any one can find one that fits their budget eventually if they want to. I looked for years partly because I am left handed but the price was a big thing. I had lots of experience with a .375 and really never found it lacking. I had shot one buffalo with a borrowed .458 and noticed that there was quite a difference in the result. Then I had a experience with a buffalo that didn't want to die and that is when I got serious about something bigger. I looked long and hard for a .470 but never found one so I ended up with a .500, the price was rite and it was left handed. The recoil was stiff but like anything you get used to it. If I do my part I can lay 4 shots side by side (2 and 2) into about 4" consistently at 50 yards. Lately I have stopped shooting at paper and started shooting clay pigeons turned on the side @ 50 yards, it is a lot of fun. I seldom miss. At first I padded way up but eventually got to the point I just use a light pad and sometimes no pad at all. I have noticed that the point of impact goes up and down depending on how much padding you use "that may just be me". People talk about packing the extra weight of a double but you don't notice it that much, and I have packed mine enough to take off lots of the bluing. So for my two cents worth I have to say any one thinking about it should find the way to buy one.
Plus one! (y)

I have a 470NE but wanted a 500NE but the 470NE belonged to a friend and I got it well worth the price. I hunt just about everything with one or two of the seven doubles I own, and I find jump shooting at running jack rabbits, or wild boar is fine practice for instinctive shooting, and adjusting to the recoil.

I will own a double, one day.

Been wanting one for 30 years.

Been wanting to hunt Africa for 45 years.

Africa wins out for now...the next $30k disposable goes to hunting!

I will own a double, one day.....

Tarbe.....your a smart guy..on the other hand..I am not. I already bought my dream double..and instead of paying for a safari...I'm buying another double....oh boy..one day I'll learn....after this second one..I promise all monies goes toward Safari..no more doubles for me...I hope your dream is fulfilled..and you get your double!

....after this second one..I promise all monies goes toward Safari..no more doubles for me...I hope your dream is fulfilled..and you get your double!

I very nearly bought a Searcy 500 NE last year. If I had, I would not be going to RSA next year!

But it is all good. Most of us have to make choices...then we live with the choices. I am sure you enjoy having your double every day of the year, whether you shoot it or not. Even whether you hold it or not.

I will own a double...

I will own a double...

I will own a double...

Just call me a double wanna-be. I guess that would be a wanna-be wanna-be.

I've not seen to many people cycle through all the rounds on a deer hunt with their bolt. At a 100 yards and less in the woulds a double would work great. I think it's about what they were brought up using. Granddad used a bolt so did dad and so do they. Price the other factor, hunting a budget doesn't include a double. Would love to have one myself, one day!

we'll..I still have options..if push came to shove...then I could sell one of my doubles and go on safari..at least they are an investment if you buy the right ones and take great care with them.

I must admit I didn't know doubles were in style anymore when I joined AH. I know many people who have taken the Big 5 with a bow, none with a double. I still know in person next to no one who owns a double rifle. I know plenty who own a 375 H&H, a .416 or .458 but they are all bolt actions with a scope. And yes some have hunted bongo and eland in east Africa.

Greetings,

I no longer hunt big game in my home state because I'd rather not spend the money every year just glassing and hoping (moose, caribou and deer numbers are way low here in recent years).
But if I did continue hunting here, I would use my double for sure in the woods, particularly along our many rivers (very thick with trees, alders, brush and sometimes even quite tall grass).
Would continue to stick with a scoped bolt action or single shot out on the open tundra though.

Somebody here already wrote something pretty much that:
If a hunter doesn't spend his/her pesos on 4-wheelers, bass boat, snowmobiles, bush plane/float plane, river boat AKA jet boat, bigass salt water boat, motorhome, a house twice the size needed, swimming pool, new pickup instead of rebuild motor in the old one, a hunter can then carefully manage his/her budget to own a double rifle or two and still make it to Africa a half dozen times, before he or she gets too old to hike about and carry a rifle all day.
But that concept seemed worth repeating.

It's all about choices, and I'll drink to that.

Praise The Lord and pass the ammunition,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I agree it's all about priorities or choices. I can honestly say now, I'm glad I stayed out of the market. With the inflation of everything else in hunting. I find I love the hunt more than the method.

we'll..I still have options..if push came to shove...then I could sell one of my doubles and go on safari..at least they are an investment if you buy the right ones and take great care with them.

I totally second that.

For me its the accuracy. What I'm after is a rifle that will hit a 4 inch circle at up to 400yrds. I know a bolt action will do that but not too sure if a double will?? Im looking at a 375 chambering and I ant to use it for both PG and DG. From what Dagaboy has said about the regulation I think the above can be possible!

88, what caliber did you buy for your daughter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg