Who would or would not hunt with another member from the site

Given that thought. What do you see this collaboration looking like?
1) Buy in from AH Sponsors
  • Are they willing to set one up? Depending on the interest, multiple sponsers could set up a block of "like dates". This would allow (US) members to gather at Atlanta/Washington to travel together as this is probably the biggest "fear factor" for first timers.
  • Once a block of dates are set by the sponsors, these will be the dates. (If not, it will drive the sponsers crazy trying to adjust for individual schedules)
  • Number of hunters at one time will be set by the sponsor. Could be set up as a "guys only" or a "couples hunt" Maybe dates for both depending on response? I would suggest minimum and maximum numbers based on their individual infrastructures.
  • We have great outfitter/sponsors across Namibia, SA, Zim, Moz and Zambia with diverse terrain and species indignant to their area's. Namibia with mountain zebra, Damara dik-dik, 40" gemsbok. SA with huge kudu in the Limpopo, East Cape with species like Vaahl reedbuck, bontebok, blue duiker and Kwa-zulu Natal with Nyala and bushbuck. Point is we have great outfitters that specialize in all of these areas.
  • Basic packages could be developed to target the special species for these areas with the option to add once there. The options for 1 x 1 or 2 x 1 could be determined at booking. Knowing our sponsors, I would expect some great deals on these AH hunts.
  • If dates could be coordinated between outfitters, we could probably get Lauri to handle all flights for each hunt and possibly get discount airfares since all US hunters could meet in Atlanta/Washington and take the same flight as a group. (That flight would be rocking with 30-40 AH members!) Each group would either be picked up in Joberg or catch a connecting flight to PE, Durban, Maun, Lusaka or Windhoek (main locations) Most returns could be coordinated for most to meet up for the trip back also.
  • Air 2000 or similar services might offer group discounts for this large of a group also.
  • I am pretty confident I could also negotiate a % discount on taxidermy from Bullseye with Craig for those wanting their taxidermy done in SA.
  • The same could probably done with Zingela and Charlene and possibly Robert and SSI.
The only way this would work is for the outfitters to set firm dates together. Dates would not be flexible. If you were booked and something came up, there could actually be a AH waiting list set up for other members to take that spot by reimbursing the deposit to the member that cancelled. Everyone wins. With the amount of members and users of AH I feel this is actually very "doable"! It sounds more complicated than it actually is. I honestly think this is a fantastic way to make peoples dreams come true. Isn't that why a lot of us love this site?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, missed that Wayne. Since your the "Wizard of AH" maybe you can move my last post over to your thread?
Feel free to also copy and paste your post to the BRICKBURN's thread…

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
A few rambling thoughts from me:

1. I think this could be done and it could be a great way to introduce the first timer. Having someone to travel with and take them through the travel aspect would be great. It is a bit intimidating, particularly to someone who hasn't before, to travel internationally. Doing so with a rifle just adds to that stress level.

2. I once hunted quail with someone I didn't know. He was what I would call a competitive hunter, and extremely so at that. I absolutely hate that crap. Additionally, he was a very unsafe hunter and damn near shot me. I would never want to spend another day with that clown much less multiple days stuck in camp with him. Lesson learned, be very careful whom you decide to hunt and/or share a camp with. That said, with respect to a group hunt, lay down ground rules firmly that this is about fun and not a big d!$* contest. It only takes one asshat to ruin time around the boma or out in the field and thus having the opposite effect of what is intended.

3. Careful consideration should be given as to how large this group will be. Smaller concessions should mean a smaller group and vice versa. Criss crossing each other during the day would not go well.

4. I think allowing for some flexibility would be wise. One guy may want to do a 5 day hunt and another a 10 day hunt. Traveling together on the way out and then some or one leaving early shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Probably enough ramblings for now.

That's it, train them J.
Ha! Point taken bwana! Posting this from my phone. I'll move it when I get back on my laptop tomorrow.

A few rambling thoughts from me:

1. I think this could be done and it could be a great way to introduce the first timer. Having someone to travel with and take them through the travel aspect would be great. It is a bit intimidating, particularly to someone who hasn't before, to travel internationally. Doing so with a rifle just adds to that stress level.

2. I once hunted quail with someone I didn't know. He was what I would call a competitive hunter, and extremely so at that. I absolutely hate that crap. Additionally, he was a very unsafe hunter and damn near shot me. I would never want to spend another day with that clown much less multiple days stuck in camp with him. Lesson learned, be very careful whom you decide to hunt and/or share a camp with. That said, with respect to a group hunt, lay down ground rules firmly that this is about fun and not a big d!$* contest. It only takes one asshat to ruin time around the boma or out in the field and thus having the opposite effect of what is intended.

3. Careful consideration should be given as to how large this group will be. Smaller concessions should mean a smaller group and vice versa. Criss crossing each other during the day would not go well.

4. I think allowing for some flexibility would be wise. One guy may want to do a 5 day hunt and another a 10 day hunt. Traveling together on the way out and then some or one leaving early shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Probably enough ramblings for now.

DO THROW YOUR THOUGHTS OVER INTO THIS THREAD
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/host-outfitter-for-ah-member-hunt.20640/

To be honest, the 2x1 style of hunting does not appeal to me, even with the people who I am most familiar with - relatives and/or friends since childhood types.

This I completely agree with. I guess the only 2x1 exception I might make would be son, or my wife if I could ever get her truly interested. even then, I think 1x1 with an observer would be more likely. And I'd certainly never hunt 2x1 just to save $50 s day, personally.

So from what I see the answer is guys would share the camp with other guys but do not really like the idea of hunting with someone else. Which is kind of a shock to me really. I myself would think possible hunting with a guy who never hunted Africa before could be a blast. Even hunting with someone who has hunted Africa before could be fun and away to learn.

Maybe getting out with a few different guys hunting beside hunting by myself for a few days also. To me getting out hunting and sharing that would be what makes it fun.

I guess it is a shock as so many say the hunt is just about getting out and enjoying nature. I really must look at things different then must. To me the ah group hunt would be to get out with other members. Planning just a hunt for a group of guys would be different for me but I will still want to share more then a campfire on a hunt.

Hi @billc,
I think some of it just comes back to life experiences. Each of us in our own way, and to different degrees, are what life has made us. I have had a few experiences that make me more cautious than I used to be about who I tote guns around the hills and swamps with. It sounds like a number of others here have had similar experiences. Getting swept with muzzles of loaded guns and peppered with shot will tend to do that to you ;) In my normal everyday life I just tend to shy away from hunting with folks I don't know, so that's just my knee jerk reaction. BUT, upon thinking a little more about the circumstance of a trip like we're talking about here I think I would be more open to some 2x1 hunting with someone I hadn't hunted with before. As long as personalities and expectations were sorted out and matched up appropriately it would probably work out great.
Another thought to consider would be one person packing the rifle and the other a video camera. Alternate opportunities and it would be a great way to get each others hunt on video. I love hunting with a camera anyway, so this would be fine with me.
That's just my 2 bits, but I can totally relate to the hesitation folks might have about hunting with someone they don't know. Probably stems from some not so good experiences in our past ;)
By the way, great topic and conversation so far!

I understand it, I would not want to travel half way around the world and hunt with an annoying guide... Or hunting partner..

My best always

Idaram I hear you about what life has shown us all. I have had bad and good times but have always been able to make the best out of it. I guess I am figuring just with the chats I see guys do on the site I would know who I would hunt with and who not.

I had the same idea as you with filming someone as they hunt and that could be great fun. I myself would just like more then dinner and drinks with people in camp if it is kind of a group outing. To me a hunt planned out right would give guys a chance to hunt with new people and some time out on there own 1x1 also. just my thoughts

There you go again, jumping to a foregone conclusion!

I obviously meant sometimes guys wear a woodlands camo blend when they should have on Mossy Oak. This is especially important when huntimg 2-1 as suggested by you above. ;)
Call me a Philistine but I don't wear camo, just soft dull brown and green which blends in nicely with the type of bush I hunt in and isn't noisy. Horses for courses.

I’ve had the honor of hunting with a LOT of people from this website and can say without a doubt the good folks here are always my favorites to hunt with!!!!

Call me a Philistine but I don't wear camo, just soft dull brown and green which blends in nicely with the type of bush I hunt in and isn't noisy. Horses for courses.

My post was made with an extremely large dose of sarcasm around some ongoing jokes at the time. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kalaharikind

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!