Who reloads.....and why?

I began reloading to save money, Im not sure I succeeded back then but am still glad I did.

I continued reloading so I could push premium bullets of my choice really fast.

I then moved to reloading premium bullets of my choice as fast as they would shoot while maintaining far above average accuracy.

I then bought my .338 Lapua and reloading fast accurate premium bullets saved me a ton of money.

I then was glad I reloaded for availability of ammo.

I then questioned why I reload for availability of components.

I then patterned my shotgun and learned what really kills with steel waterfowl loads - speed (which is lacking in most factory loads) so now I have bought supplies to build custom shotgun shells and will work up some top notch loads which are far superior and much cheaper than factory loads and should be able to pay off my investment in equipment within 10-15 years :) Unless we factor in the Bismuth shot that I "had to try" which will put me even further in the hole... (n)

I guess I must just like reloading.

Can any of you recommend any books or starter kits for someone to get started with reloading?

From the beginner's POV - I bought the Hornady and Lee reloading manuals and read them both. The Lee manual is much more complicated and was difficult to appreciate at first. I read articles on the net and then asked a bunch of basic questions of people here. I got a Lee reloading kit and slowly tried it out. With a small amount of experience I am now rereading those manuals in a more informed way and I have bought the Woodleigh manual as I have I found a supplier where I live. The basics are the same but each publication gives you a little more understanding.

Good luck.
Pheroze

Can any of you recommend any books or starter kits for someone to get started with reloading?
Most of the major manufacturers who produce reloading dies, etc (Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Lee, etc) offer starter kits. Whom one chooses would be based on price point (depending on one's situation). You would still have to purchase dies for your calibre. Redding & Dillon are more or less top of the line, and the rest are pretty good. I have both Hornady, and RCBS presses. I have a cross section of dies from different manufacturers.
If you did go this route ALWAYS READ AND ADHERE TO SAFETY INFORMATION AND FOLLOW GOOD RELOADING PRACTICES PROVIDED IN THE RELOADING MANUALS. Read/Learn before you start.
Once you become an experienced reloader then you can try to blow yourself up by experimenting :E Laugh:
It never hurts to seek answers from experienced handloaders (except for those who are missing bits & pieces because they experimented and blowded them selves up a bit ;))

Pick-up the Lyman 49th edition re-loading handbook, there is also a ton of info on line

If you shoot a lot it pays to re-load, I'm at the range every weekend shooting multiple calibers plus you can build better and more accurate ammunition than you can buy. pic is a 338-06 hand load 4 shot group
P1010028.JPG

I've been reloading now for about 50 years. Originally I started reloading to save money, I still reload to save money. Hopefully my reloads are more accurate than factory loads. I can't be 100% sure about that because most of my firearms have never shot a factory cartridge, including my .300 Weatherby and .375 RUM that I've taken each on multiple international hunts with my reloads.

I reload 4 centerfire pistol and 9 rifle cartridges, 4 shotgun gauges. I cast lead bullets for all of my pistol and most of my rifle cartridges, and for 3 black powder pistols and 3 black powder rifles, and I make my own shot for my shotgun target shooting. I've loaded and shot well over 200,000 shotshells.

The OP mentioned reloading for the .300 Weatherby. I shoot my .300 Bee so much and often that I've started buying powder in 8# kegs for it.

Reloading is a skill and art that must be honed then practiced, just in case, ....
The 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution guarantees the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, it does not mention ammunition....[/QUright on brother, must guard those constitutional rights

I have been reloading for over 45 years and have saved money and had a great time doing it . John

I reload so I have a good excuse to hoard powder, bullets and primers! ;)

Like others have stated, there are various reasons to load your own.

Cost, security of supply, performance, to enhance the overall fun of the hobby, etc.

I have been at it 41 years now and I enjoy it as much as ever!

I reload for long range with my .308. I get a little "too" into it at times. I started reloading for cost, and more consistent performance. Then the ammo shortages came along and was horrified to discover I had a hard time finding powder, bullets, etc., etc.! I loaded up everything I had, and sat on it to wait and see what happened with the shortage. Now, I am resupplying the supply, and enjoying every minute. I reload the large calibers for cost as well, which has been mentioned a lot here. I like to practice with the rifle I hunt with, or going to hunt with, so it saves me money. Shooting is a passion of mine, and so is reloading. I guess it keeps me engaged in what I love, and at the same time a chance to disengage from daily stress.

I think it has all been said.....I reload for a few of the reasons mentioned already. 1. Satisfaction - I can always work up a load that is far better than any factory load on the market. 2. It's my escape. After a day at work it is something that relaxes me. 3. Cost - especially for shotgun. I shoot about 10K rounds a year in competition and practice (skeet) and the cost of 410 and 28 ga is Ridiculous! Why pay $10-$11 dollars a box when I can reload for well less than $5?

brushmore said:

Bushmore - keep your eye out for one of the many specials that are out there. Both Hornady and RCBS offer some great deals. I just got a friend of mine started and he purchased a Hornady Lock-n-Load kit. As part of the deal he also got 500 bullets. I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker back in the early 90's that I still use, and my father also has a Rock Chucker that he still uses from the 70's. Many of the others also make great equipment.

For rifle I will only use a single stage loader because I feel I have more control over the finish round and I am not speed loading. Pistol, I will use a multi stage.

For rifle I will only use a single stage loader because I feel I have more control over the finish round and I am not speed loading. Pistol, I will use a multi stage.

Good advice. Speed load your rifle rounds and see where they end up. Nice tight thirty inch groups at fifty yards. :)

I started reloading back in the 70's and did it to save money and get better accuracy. Today I would probably not do it but I have all the stuff so I continue to reload. I have never shot a big game animal with a factory load. I do long for the days when I could buy surplus H 4831 for a dollar a pound. Loaded alot of 270 ammo with that.

Started back in the 70's for savings but accuracy and better bullet selection was the man driving force, only way back then to get Nosler and others now I compare it to fly fishing and why tie your own when you can buy about everything well it just a obsession and pride of taking a great animal or shooting a group you designed. Then building your own customm rifle branched into custom calibers and long range stuff my 280AI is my current favorite but love all my babies lol good luck and better keep good stock of brass as well as powder buying in 8lb saves money as well and then bullets they are all hard to find for like brass for 300 ultra and etc making your own brass is a option but you got to start with something. Good luck and keep your powder dry...............

I would get a set of 308 dies (choice would depend on what you're going to do with the 308) and use the Lee press you got from your dad. Check it to make sure it's OK to use and it has all the necessary parts. I would assume it would be a standard 7/8"-14 thread. You may need to upgrade a reloading accessory or two depending on what you have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross