Who makes a carbon arrow shaft that weighs 12 to 13 gpi ?

ThomasBeaham

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I need to build some carbon arrows for plains game up to and including Eland. PHASA Recommends: 550 grains NAPHA Requires: 450 grains To build a 29.75 inch, 500 grain arrow (and my math is correct ) I'll need shafts that weigh 12 to 13 grains per inch and a 100 or 125 grain broadhead. My question is: who makes a carbon shaft that weighs 12 to 13gpi? Thanks for your suggestions. Thomas

I think i can help you here. I recently bought some GrizzlyStik arrows from Alaska Bowhunting. They have three different weights of arrows. I purchased the "safari" model and they are heavy but fly well for me. As far as i know, these are the heaviest arrows available without adding arrow inserts, which is another option. Three Rivers Archery has weight tubes that will help you attain your goal as well, and it might be cheaper than the new arrows.

Here are your links:

Alaska Bowhunting

3Rivers Archery Equipment, Longbow and Recurve Experts

Depending what you are using now, you might not need to do anything. I took my deer/elk rig and had no problem hunting any of the plains game.

Tom, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I'll get to "test" one on an elk in Colorado this fall. Thomas

Good luck to you. I would start with the weight tubes first. They are pretty inexpensive and a good way to start. They come in three different weights. I think they are 5, 8 and 11 gpi.

Easton Axis FMJ or Camo Shafts

Hi Thomas

Try using the Easton Axis FMJ or Camo Shafts. They have slim diameters and weigh in at around 12 gpi.
This arrow at 29 or 30 inches and with 125gr broadhead and 4 inch vanes will get you to 500+ grains.
In my opinion they are the best!

Thanks
Dox

Hello Thomas,
I don't know what poundage your setup is, but easton makes the FMJ dangerous game shafts. With 15.5 gpi for the .300 spine arrows. @29inches and a 100gr point you have a 658gr arrow. Just curious; what braodhead will you be using?

Redsunrise, I'm shooting a two cam PSE set a 70 lbs. I have installed the 5 gpi. weight tubes in my Carbon Express arrows (for a total weight of 575 grains) and noticed an obvious increase in penetration into my broadhead target. I have had great success using Muzzy Broadheads here in North America for many years on deer size game. My brother bowhunted plains game in the Limpopo region of RSA and used the one piece Montec heads with excellent results.

I shoot 30 inch arrow.

I have used Carbon Express Maxima Hunters for couple of years now and they have performed excellent.

For plains game hunting they are perfect and my arrow weight is 450gr with 125gr broad head.

If you want to push the weight up to 500gr I would suggest have a look at the Carbon Express Rebel Hunter. These would work perfect for your needs.

Good hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross