Which Big 5 do you want to hunt?

Which Big 5 species do you want to take?

• Buffalo

• Elephant

• Lion

• Leopard

• Rhino

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cape buffalo. I guess I've shot enough feral house cats that the thought of shooting lion/leopard doesn't appeal to me anymore. I like elephants and think that they are cool......I don't mind if others hunt them, I just don't feel I could do it myself. Same for rhino.....
I had all these little plastic animals on my toy Noah's ark as a kid, so I guess there is some deep psycological reason that I am not compelled to pull the trigger on these species (got to include giraffe in there as well).
.....and while my toy Noah's ark had a couple of zebra as well, Zebra are on my "to do" list. Why? Because I got bit by a horse as a kid, and somebody's got to pay for that!!!:D

As for the two that weren't listed (croc and hippo): I would readily take a croc, but I think hippos are ugly and wouldn't know what to do with one after I shot it......it wouldn't go on the wall, and I guess I'll just let someone else have the fun.;)

thanks for all the replies so far, i see some really good stats coming in so far.
Seems like the lion and leopard hunting experience is kind of a once off thing for most.
Looks like everyone likes the buffalo hunting and would hunt them more than once
i love hunting buffalo! just a awesome experiance

Hands Down,, Cape Buffalo

One day when the funds catch up to the obsession Im going on that buffalo hunt!

As for the two that weren't listed (croc and hippo): I would readily take a croc, but I think hippos are ugly and wouldn't know what to do with one after I shot it......it wouldn't go on the wall, and I guess I'll just let someone else have the fun.;)

Gotta say, I'd prefer the hippo there myself. Something abut reptiles just doesn't excite me but hippos? Now that gives me a little tickle.

There are lots of cool things to do with hippo! The skulls themselves are unique trophies, display them with artificial ivory. Then you have all that ivory... I saw a beautiful display where the real ivory was on a plaque that was sunken into a coffee table with glass over the top. Then the border of this display lined with hippo leather, which is some of the finest you can get. I don't have a picture of that, but here are a few parts of the idea. There also lots of options to be done with the feet.
hippo-miscellaneous-items-009.jpg

thumbs_hippo-shield-mount-002.jpg

thumbs_hippo-skulls-tusks-001.jpg

And there are really cool water based mounts done with hippo, and croc.

thumbs_hippo-shoulder-mount-003.jpg

Attachments

• thumbs_hippo-skulls-tusks-001.jpg
    thumbs_hippo-skulls-tusks-001.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 153
  • thumbs_hippo-shield-mount-002.jpg
    thumbs_hippo-shield-mount-002.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 113
  • hippo-miscellaneous-items-009.jpg
    hippo-miscellaneous-items-009.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 129
  • thumbs_hippo-shoulder-mount-003.jpg
    thumbs_hippo-shoulder-mount-003.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:
My dream hunt would be a 21 day full bag in the Selous. Lion,Leopard,Buff, Elephant, Croc, and Hippo.
A spot and stalk Lion on that hunt, would be the Bee's knee's.

That sounds like a dream hunt of a lifetime... But better make it 28 days!

My dream hunt would be a 21 day full bag in the Selous. Lion,Leopard,Buff, Elephant, Croc, and Hippo.
A spot and stalk Lion on that hunt, would be the Bee's knee's.

That hunt will be very tough but truly a trip of a lifetime i might need to rob a view banks beforehand but that would also be my dream hunt

Leopard should be the first for me and then elephant
i already got a lion and Buffalo with my bow.
Rhino is not in my list.
I will change the rhino for croc in a bite.
Now my Top African game at this time will be :
1.- Leopard
2.- Bongo
3.- Lesser Kudu
4.- Bushpig
5.- Roan

As I have yet to make there, buffalo will be my first, followed by a lion on the next trip.

Totally off topic fellas but I have to rank Polar Bear on dog sled as my absolute dream hunt. After all Nanuk is one of the world's largest carnivores and found in the arctic of my own country.

That said I am throwing my votes for Lion and Leopard on this one.

R.

My dream ranking as someone who has not hunted africa yet would have to go:
1. Buffalo
2. Blue wildebeest
3. Impala
4. Kudu
5. Hippo

Totally off topic fellas but I have to rank Polar Bear on dog sled as my absolute dream hunt. After all Nanuk is one of the world's largest carnivores and found in the arctic of my own country.

That said I am throwing my votes for Lion and Leopard on this one.

R.

I'll second the polar bear as near the absolute top of my dream hunt list. Sadly I would not be able to bring the trophy home until the U.S. lifts the ridiculous import ban.

I'll second the polar bear as near the absolute top of my dream hunt list. Sadly I would not be able to bring the trophy home until the U.S. lifts the ridiculous import ban.

It would be nice if they ban was lifted and everyone came to their senses. I guess making them the poster child for global warming didn't help either. R.

Given the opportunity I'd hunt all five but of course I won't likely see such an opportunity at least in this lifetime.

I picked the Buffalo and Leopard as they are the two that realistically I have a chance to hunt.

The CB is on my list for my upcoming trip for sure and a Leopard is at least a possibility because apparently there are significant numbers of them where we'll be bird hunting.

I have the deepest respect for anyone who's taken even three or four of the Big 5 and recognize the opportunities for doing so in the future will continue to dwindle.

Leopard should be the first for me and then elephant
i already got a lion and Buffalo with my bow.
Rhino is not in my list.
I will change the rhino for croc in a bite.
Now my Top African game at this time will be :
1.- Leopard
2.- Bongo
3.- Lesser Kudu
4.- Bushpig
5.- Roan
The Bongo is definitely on my "Dream List" if I ever get to make a second trip to Africa. What a truly beautiful animal they are!

Viewing the trophy pictures section here can be very expensive!

The Bongo is definitely on my "Dream List" if I ever get to make a second trip to Africa. What a truly beautiful animal they are!

Viewing the trophy pictures section here can be very expensive!
Well if we are going that route, I have to say that Lord Derby's eland is the most awesome trophy I can think of in Africa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross