Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA (Life), Safari Club Intl
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada(Saskatchewan), USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right)
I mean if a guy wants a monster that is 57" plus, what part of Africa should be targeted.

I know the East Cape area of RSA has lots of Kudu but I don't think it is known for especially BIG Kudu.

Just curious where to hunt if you want a really big Kudu and are willing to hold out for one

Thanks

I think there are a lot of good areas. A lot depends on the outfitter running the land. The Limpopo Province is a excellent choice. There are areas in Botswana that are excellent! Northern Namibia is a good choice! There are many spots in RSA where the outfitters are doing a terrific job of managing kudu.

Spriral Horn Safari, Fredrik, Hartzview Hunting Safari, SS Pro Safari and Mark Young on here can be good starters for outfitters.

I'll let you know when I get back.

Dear hunting friend.'
The longest Kudu Horns (World Record No 1 Rowland Ward) are 72 inches (6ft ) along the curl. They weren't shot by a hunter but were picked up as part of a carcass by a professional Hunter in Mozambique.
My last hunts has been for Hippo, crocodiles and lions in north of Mozambique, "Lake" Cahora Bassa. Last 3 times, I noticed that we have seen more and more Kudus, about 3 weeks ago, I had 2 chances for very big Kudus, min 55+ ! However... we were on our way to feed lions, so no time to follow kudus....
Will be back in August for a new area, east of Tete, and according to owner, there will be a lot of "BIG" Buffalo's, Sables and Kudus.
Kind regards
Michael

From pics i see on the net;
The limpopo in RSA. Mostly highly managed high fenced operations.
Northern Namibia vast wide open spaces with great kudu habitat.

Hi Terminator

I would say Limpopo more specifically Ellisras or Rooibokraal area, Namibia is another good option.

Hunting big kudu is very challenging so please keep in mind to allow for enough hunting day's.

All the best of luck and please let me know if you need any help we have some massive kudu on my place.;)

Best regards
Louis van Bergen

If I were looking for a big kudu I would call Mark Young and book 10 days on Coutada 9 in Mozambique with Mokore Safari.

There will be a 60+ incher shot there before long.

I've seen a few good one's over the years,in different countries,but the best were in the Kamanjab area in north western Namibia.

Kudu

Kudu.jpg

this bull was taken on our farm in the Eastern Cape.
According to the ph it was 59 inches, i can not verify it as i never measured it, but i did measure a 55 inch bull the same day and this set of horns in the photo were bigger.

excuse the bad photo quality it was taken on a mobile phone camera.

Limpopo in south africa has a great vareity of kudu
all the best
ibie

I hunted Limpopo last year with Limcroma Safaris and was very lucky. The bush was quite thick, May-June, so despite the fences it can still be difficult hunting and we passed on several animals before getting lucky on the 10th day of a ten day hunt. A lot depends on how hard your PH wants to work for you.
Research a few areas and then check on references. Kudu are magnificent and I think any bull between 51 & 55" can look awesome depending on the curl. Good luck.

I would add, don't get hung up on inches to much. The experience is of just seeing these animals is great reward.

I hunted Limpopo last year with Limcroma Safaris and was very lucky. The bush was quite thick, May-June, so despite the fences it can still be difficult hunting and we passed on several animals before getting lucky on the 10th day of a ten day hunt. A lot depends on how hard your PH wants to work for you.
Research a few areas and then check on references. Kudu are magnificent and I think any bull between 51 & 55" can look awesome depending on the curl. Good luck.

I would add, don't get hung up on inches to much. The experience is of just seeing these animals is great reward.

I already have a 51" I got in Namibia and I think it is the most beautiful mount I own with perfect curls and ivory tips and just loved hunting them.

That said, if I was to ever shoot another Kudu it would be to specifically try and get a monster. Kind of like if you have a 5x5 Elk you would like to try and get a 6x6

So basically if I was to ever hunt another Kudu I would want to put myself in a place that has some big ones and focus on it for a few days, hence my question.

I hopefully will be going back to Africa in 2012 and want to add to my existing collection but would pull the trigger if I saw a monster Kudu by chance. But I have Kudu, Eland, Springbok, Impala, Hartebeast, Steenbuck, Gemsbuck and Mtn Zebra on the wall and my next trip will be focused on Nyala, Bushbuck, Wildebeest, Blesbok as primary desires with Reedbuck as an interest too

Then sometime after that I want to go specifically to try and bang a BIG Kudu even if it means dedicating most of a trip to Africa on it as they are just my favorite.

Reactions: BWH
I might have been preaching to the experienced. I like the Nyala too and was lucky to witness 2 bulls going thru their "Tai Chi' type of routine. Fantastic to see. I hope to get back to Africa next year for Buff & sable...and maybe another kudu.
Hope you make it next year.
Cheers

Terminator,

A really big kudu bull can come in a lot of places on occasion but in my experience I've only found two spots that I could recommend as offereing a real chance at a bull of 55" plus. In both of these areas I think you could hold out for a really big bull and expect to have an opportunity.

My first choice and as Mike 70560 recommended would be with Mokore Safaris on their Coutada 9 concession in Mozambique. The area is big and wild with no fences and is the best PG hunting other than on a ranch I've ever seen. I shot 57" plus there and they have taken 61.5". There would be no reason there to shot a bull under that 54"-56" inch range if you concentrated on kudu. My last client there in '10 wanted only a bushbuck which he got and a really big kudu. In the 10 days of their hunt they had a miscommunication and missed the opportunity on a 60" and did not shoot a 57"-58" because the PH would not guarantee that the bull was over 58". You can't do that in many places particularly when you consider this area is just wild bush with no fences or stocking.

My second choice and only because some of the property is fenced (100,000 acres) would be with Tholo Safaris in Botswana. The shear number of big bulls you will see on a daily basis is mind blowing. I only had 5 days to hunt when I was there and concentrated on the Cape eland which I shot. I did tell the PH if we saw a really big kudu of 58" I wanted to try for it. Unfortunately we did not see one that the PH was sure was over 58" but they are there undoubtedly. My PH's client had taken a 65" bull that same year I was there previous to my hunt. I wrote this up in detail on a Botswana hunt report here on AH awhile back.

If you'd like to book a hunt or want to know anything further about either of these safaris feel free to contact me anytime.

Wow! And all I wanted was one over 50"! Got it too, but took 4 trips.

Kudu Hunt

Terminator,

A really big kudu bull can come in a lot of places on occasion but in my experience I've only found two spots that I could recommend as offereing a real chance at a bull of 55" plus. In both of these areas I think you could hold out for a really big bull and expect to have an opportunity.

My first choice and as Mike 70560 recommended would be with Mokore Safaris on their Coutada 9 concession in Mozambique. The area is big and wild with no fences and is the best PG hunting other than on a ranch I've ever seen. I shot 57" plus there and they have taken 61.5". There would be no reason there to shot a bull under that 54"-56" inch range if you concentrated on kudu. My last client there in '10 wanted only a bushbuck which he got and a really big kudu. In the 10 days of their hunt they had a miscommunication and missed the opportunity on a 60" and did not shoot a 57"-58" because the PH would not guarantee that the bull was over 58". You can't do that in many places particularly when you consider this area is just wild bush with no fences or stocking.

My second choice and only because some of the property is fenced (100,000 acres) would be with Tholo Safaris in Botswana. The shear number of big bulls you will see on a daily basis is mind blowing. I only had 5 days to hunt when I was there and concentrated on the Cape eland which I shot. I did tell the PH if we saw a really big kudu of 58" I wanted to try for it. Unfortunately we did not see one that the PH was sure was over 58" but they are there undoubtedly. My PH's client had taken a 65" bull that same year I was there previous to my hunt. I wrote this up in detail on a Botswana hunt report here on AH awhile back.

If you'd like to book a hunt or want to know anything further about either of these safaris feel free to contact me anytime.

I will keep these ideas in mind for my Monster Kudu Hunt. They sound pretty good.

Next trip is to fill in some holes before I do the hardcore Kudu upgrade hunt! :)

We have a very good area of 15 000 acres in size with rolling hills valleys and thick bush where we know we will be shooting 60" + very soon shot a good 55 1/2" earlier in May.

MarkKudu.jpg

We could have shot a 58" bull earlier in the hunt but he was too young we have been managing the kudus there for the last 3 years and have not shot sub adult bulls and its begginning to show. That bull will grow in the next 2 years to be close to 65" or more.
As for fences kudu jump fences as they please especially where fences cannot be erected 100% among the hills and valleys.

The no.1 South African record at 69" was shot on the property next door the genes are there just need to put your feet on the ground as much as possible to bump one of these monsters.

IMG_0147.jpg

Yes 15 000 acres of this stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,041
  • MarkKudu.jpeg
    MarkKudu.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 8,352
Looks like it would be a challenging hunt in that cover. Thanks for the suggestion. When I do my Kudu upgrade hunt I really want to committ 4-5 days to finding a good one and if I happen to see something else I like I would take it.

Which of your hunting areas on your price list would this be?

The PH would probably hate me because I would be focused on finding a good Kudu not shooting a bunch of things.

I love to take that offer but I am recovering from back surgery so this year is out.

But I will keep it in mind for the future when I do my "Kudu Upgrade Hunt" as I really want to do a hunt focused on Kudu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg