What would you like to see in a Bow-Hunting Camp?

slad68

AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Looks like the rains have finally come down on us here in Limpopo (we are grateful) and as I sit, thinking about the upcoming season Iwould appreciate any input.

We are currently working on a new area to hunt next year and believe me this place is loaded with top quality trophies. We do have some well structured blinds, mineral blocks and waterholes in place, but there is always room for improvement.

What would would you like to see or experience in a Bow Huntingcamp?
For instance
Blinds setup
Elevated?
Pit blinds?
Box Blinds?
Tree stands?
Waterholes set up
Concrete?
Natural pans?
Mineral block?
Feeders?
Alfalfa?

The surrounding area around the blind and water?
Shooting distance?
Hunting stands along riverbeds?

Please think of anything you can imagine that would improve the setup.

I in many ways agree with billc on what he says in his post.

Most of the time in Africa, you see some sort of pit blind and very often concrete waterholes.
Personally I am not much of a blind hunter.
And it makes it even less desirable when I look at many of the blind sites in Africa.
They are pure ugly in my opinion.
Concrete waterholes, plastic through or throughs made by old tires and a blind that is made of some wood and plastic is really not nice to sit in and look at those surroundings for hours.

To me it is very important that the surroundings around the blind is nice to look at and where I have the feeling that I am out in the wilderness of Africa even if I know I am inside a High Fence area.
So having a blind that blends well in the environment, a natural looking waterhole, food and mineral licks if needed is placed on the ground and having it placed on a beautiful spot on the property is what I would like when hunting from a blind.
That makes the experienced much nicer to me and if I or someone else want to video their hunt, it looks extremely much better.

Personally I think 30 yards are to long for many bowhunters.
There are many that don't have problems with it and it could be the option for some, but for most bowhunters 15-20 yards are optimum.
Many animals at waterholes tend to be skittish and this can very often result in string jumping if the distance gets longer than 20 yards.
So I would make most of the waterhole blind/stand site having a shooting distance of 15-20 for most of the shots, but have some with longer shots as an option for some of the bowhunters.

Having tree stands over travel routes, the risk of string jumping is less, and it is in my opinion more fun than sitting in a blind at a waterhole.
Personally I prefer to stalk with my bow, but if I was to sit and wait for the animals, I prefer to sit and ambush animals either from a tree stand or from the ground without any use of blinds.
The experience is so much better when I can be out in the nature instead of sitting inside a small dark room.

When it comes to tree stand and a PH needing to be there.
Would the PH need to sit totally besides the hunter or could he sit in a tree stand 20-50 yards or even longer away from the hunter and maybe use a radio to talk to the hunter if needed?

Hunting stands along riverbeds sounds like a great idea to me.

An other thing when it comes to blinds at waterholes, is to dig some of them down in the ground a bit, so the bottom of the shooting openings are almost down on the ground.
This gives a unique view and a special experience.
This might be a problem in areas with lots of snakes, I don't know :)

There should also be a proper bow shooting range with a good sight in target, a few animal target and also the chance to practice the different shooting positions that will be used during the hunt.

I don't need luxury at all.
A nice bed, a shower, some good simple food where dinners are made from the animals shot on the property, decent numbers of animals and a nice PH that knows well what bowhunting is about, is all I need :)
I would even gladly cook my own dinner and gut and skin my own animals if that would give me a lower day rate :)
Both because I am cheap, but also because I enjoy to do it :)

Nothing is better than hard hunting, taking care of what you have shot, take a shower and then have a cold drink while you cook some venison over some charcoal before you sit at the fireplace while eating your dinner and then talk about past, present and future hunts.

As said earlier, I totally prefer to stalk the animals with my bow and I would without a doubt prefer to book my hunt at a place where this is very doable.

I also clearly prefer that it is a pure bow area only.
Also when it comes to culling.
And no shooting from the cars at all.
I get a very negative feeling every time I am driving on a property and the animals are very scared of the cars because they know the cars means danger to them.

I know many trophy collectors couldn't care less about how everything is as long as they get their high scoring trophies, but I hunt for the challenge and the great experience.

I have lots of ideas and opinions about how a bowhunting property should be and what should be offered and there is a good chance I will add some more later, but this post is lengthy enough as it is :)

I do agree it is nice when the shoots can be 20 yds or less.I do thinkyou can open the area for more shooting distance for some hunters.Just have shooting lanes out to 40 is good for some guys.Having lanes made to shoot at the animals who just dont come into the water or food.

Thanks guys, there is already a lot of positive ideas here. Please keep them coming I am making notes as I read.
I will be off for a few days but once I return from the upcoming hunt I will catch up again.

Agree 100% Norwegianwoods. I understand it would be a hard sell but, it would be my preference. Imagine a property bow only spot and stalk. A few Aussie hunting operations run this way, not a big money spinner to my knowledge but, as a bowhunter it is ideal. That said most of the places here that run that way are always pretty solidly booked. I guess the main difference is the diversity of game and trophy fees as most of the Aussie guys are a set price including trophy fee for a certain animal wich is paid regardless. For example a red stag hunt 5 days $XXXX includes a red stag. Or the other more common operation is pigs, as many as you can shoot for 5 days at a set price. One outfitter is currently running a chital property this way, hard critters to get but if you shoot 1 a day it doesn't cost you any more than if you get skunked.

Agree 100% Norwegianwoods. I understand it would be a hard sell but, it would be my preference. Imagine a property bow only spot and stalk. A few Aussie hunting operations run this way, not a big money spinner to my knowledge but, as a bowhunter it is ideal. That said most of the places here that run that way are always pretty solidly booked. I guess the main difference is the diversity of game and trophy fees as most of the Aussie guys are a set price including trophy fee for a certain animal wich is paid regardless. For example a red stag hunt 5 days $XXXX includes a red stag. Or the other more common operation is pigs, as many as you can shoot for 5 days at a set price. One outfitter is currently running a chital property this way, hard critters to get but if you shoot 1 a day it doesn't cost you any more than if you get skunked.
I would love to hunt a property that offered spot and stalk with abow only, but I don't think it would gather enough income compared with one offering blind and stand hunting, but I really hope I am wrong and would love to see a property trying it.

I am by far a stalking bow hunter.
I just love the challenge of it.
I hunted with KMG Safaris last year with my bow only, and even if I didn't manage to shoot many animals and I mainly hunted on properties with lots of rifle hunting done, and had lots of bad luck, I had a great time.
And it did for sure not stop me from wanting to go to Africa and hunt by spot and stalk only with my bow again :)

This is a fantastic thread, thanks @lbgsafaris for getting it going!
I am in the process, all be it a long way still to go, of establishing abow only hunting outfitt on my place and all the information youhave provided has been invaluable. I guess that's one of the cool things about this forum is the interaction one gets between hunters and outfitters and only good things can come from that. I feel it makes the industry work harder and raises the standards.
There are a few unique/interesting ideas I have planned for my own place (will keep them under wraps for now):sneaky: but will be interesting to see if any of the bow hunters come up with the suggestion in this thread.
Keep it coming guys, this is great stuff!

My question to some of you is: Would you be interested in actually designing a bow hunting area? PM me if you interested.;)

This is a fantastic thread, thanks @lbgsafaris for getting it going!
I am in the process, all be it a long way still to go, of establishing abow only hunting outfitt on my place and all the information youhave provided has been invaluable. I guess that's one of the cool things about this forum is the interaction one gets between hunters and outfitters and only good things can come from that. I feel it makes the industry work harder and raises the standards.
There are a few unique/interesting ideas I have planned for my own place (will keep them under wraps for now):sneaky: but will be interesting to see if any of the bow hunters come up with the suggestion in this thread.
Keep it coming guys, this is great stuff!

My question to some of you is: Would you be interested in actually designing a bow hunting area? PM me if you interested.;)
The best way to plan is to get an aerial map. Any resident species activities that have a pattern can be mapped out, like the Kudu may come from the NE corner to the S side to feed, then to the SE corner for water then go bed back in the NE corner etc.(If any of the African game follow a pattern, our deer/elk in the US do but it may not apply to Africa) Then plan out hides that would go on the frequent travel routes. Next plan out water holes/feeders that wouldbe of more connivence to the animals in relationship from distance from the usual bedding down area or water holes/feeders helps get the animals without a usual location to come in.

Having a stalking only ranch would not pay the bills unless the days fees were just crazy high.Having hunting blinds would not hurt the stalking style of hunting anyway.

Even hunting a ranch were there was gun hunting going on our group did ok with the bow.

Rugs or carpet pieces on the floor sure makes them quiet and is a good addition.

Another neat thing to have, is a Ghost Blinds available for the bowhunter that likes to be able to change ambush sites "on the run".
Personally I would love to use one set of them now and then whenbowhunting in Africa.

If no one knows about them, have a look athttp://www.ghostblind.com/.

The dream of bow hunting South Africa had become less of a pipe dream and more of a reality for me in the last few years. As I sat in a Qantas Boing 747-400 on my way to Johannesburg it finally sank in I was on my way.
My very own PH ‘Frans’ was waiting for me at Tambo airport and I was quite surprised to see my bow case and bag appear on the carousel as my gear had been checked through from Darwin. In-fact the whole travel process was very painless and seamless.

Frans dropped me at a hotel the first night, which was part of the package and picked me up in the morning.
We drove though Johannesburg to Pretoria. Both towns are very modern and there were plenty of BMW’s and Mercedes around, however as soon as we left Pretoria we had to travel through a couple of Shantytowns. These were literally towns of tin shacks with garbage everywhere. It demonstrated the massive wealth gap and huge social problems facing modern day South Africa. Beggars at every traffic light we stopped at humbugged us, some were quite aggressive and it pays to be switched on in these areas.

Anyway to the hunting. We drove to the Bush Veld area, which starts about an hours drive from Pretoria. The country is gentle rolling hills and savannah with plenty of thorn trees of various types. Fairly open country by NZ standards.
The whole area is segmented into hunting properties. Mostly cattle farms converted to hunting ranches. Predominantly owned by white Africana’s they have learnt that it’s more profitable to keep game animals for photography and hunting safaris than keeping cattle or crops. The game animals are much more hardy than cattle and more tick and disease resistant as well as needing less quality feed.
Yes each farm is fenced with high wire to keep the game in but other wildlife such as monkeys, warthogs, baboons, jackals and the odd leopard don’t let the wire stop them going where they want to.
The result is now there is far more game animals around in this area than when the Dutch Trekkers first arrived 300 years ago.
They also have breeding programs for Rhino and other threatened species.
Familiar irony isn't it that where hunters are involved the animals are thriving and where there is no hunting such as in Kenya, animals are being wiped out by poachers.

Arriving at our ‘Farm’ I met Nico the white Africana manager. It was interesting to see that Nico carried around a CZ-75 9mm everywhere he went and Frans had a Ruger Security six .357 magnum on his hip at all times. They told me they were for finishing wounded or injured animals but I did wonder..

We met our tracker ‘Jacob’ and camp boy ‘Leonard’ and unpacked at our lavish camp.
For a kiwi used to a fly sheet and a damp sleeping bag the campwas over the top.
Four star hotel conditions is the best description with all manner of Alcohol and service available any time I cared for.

The first evening we went to a near by property to sit in a blind for the afternoon. As we approached the pit blind, Zebra, Wildebeest and Cape Eland moved off. Unfortunately once we settled in nothing came in apart from Eland. They were in very poor condition as it was the end of the dry season and not much feed around.

We spent two more days at that place with nothing coming in apart from Eland and a Baboon. I was getting a bit pissed off at this stage as I had been there two and a half days in a 6 day hunt and not fired a shot. Frans and I were becoming great friends in this time so it was hard for me to put the hard word on him. He admitted he had only ever had one other bow hunter and that I was here right at the end of the dry season, which was not a good time. He promised me that Nico was trying to organise some more properties but the problem was that many of the animals were out of quota as it was at the end of the season.

The day before three Danish blokes turned up. They were essentially tourists and wanted to shoot an animal to two as part of their experience. They had done zero hunting and hardly ever fired a gun. Nico took them out and their very first evening had shot a Zebra Stallion and Blue Wildebeest. That night we celebrated their kills and they were great blokes and heaps of fun. I was surprised to find out that they often had people coming over with absolutely nohunting experience and managed to give them a successful safari. Most of these animals are shot off the back of the truck on these hunts but this is how they do it in Africa sometimes

The following day Frans took me to a new property, we had only been in the blind a few minutes before there was a plethora of game animals around us, drinking and feeding. Eland, Zebra, Warthog and Wildebeest. The Eland were giving the Wildebeest ‘what for’ as they tried to push in for a drink. Finally Frans managed to identify the Stallion Zebra and I prepared to set up for the shot. Very stressful and they moved around and in Africa if you draw bloodyou pay! With this in mind I finally got a clear shot at the Zebra and at the shot he took off at warp speed. Changing directions we couldsee him charge the other way over 200 meters. I could see blood behind his shoulder so was hoping for the best. Well Frans was jumping up and down and more exited than me. He was shaking my hand and on the phone to the Safari office to report our success. I wasn’t so sure myself as I don’t congratulate myself until I find the animal down.
We found his tracks and followed a reasonable blood trail for around 100 meters. I was looking for more blood when suddenly Frans starts patting my back and shaking my hand. I look where he is pointing and there is the Zebra, down and out for the count about 200 meters away.

A dream comes true for me at last.

The little 400grain arrow had zipped through him, no problem and caught the back of both lungs. He had bled out completely.

We moved onto the next blind and repeated the process with a nice Blue Wildebeest. They weren’t actually on my hit list but Frans said the bull was a nice one and when he presented a slight quartering away shot at 28 meters, it’s a hard for a kiwi bow hunter so say no.

Blue Wildebeest – Hard to pass up at 28 yards

Dropping the animals at the skinning shed we headed back home, as we drove past Nico’s wife’s horse paddock we spied a nice Warthog eating the luscious green grass. He took off when we drove past but after a word with Nico’s wife we hid in the stables in case he came back. I was a bit nervous as there were some very expensive Arabian ponies around and I had visions of my bank balance taking a huge hit if one of my arrows went astray.
Only few minutes later the Cheeky Warthog had come across the road, out of the scrub and was back in the field. There was one and only tree in the way between the pig and myself so I decided to put an Aussie style spot and stalk. I managed to get to the tree with the horses following me like the pied piper, snorting and looking for sugar cubes. The pig was still unawares and I groveled under the fence to get away from the horses. 33 yards he was and I put an arrow right through his shoulder. He gave out a squeal and took off back the way he came. He got to his hole that he had dug under the fence and then expired. Once again Frans was jumping up and down again as he had not witnessed much in the way of bow kills.

For me this was the highlight of the trip, stalking and shooting a Wart Hog.

Jacob our tracker/skinner seems pretty happy with my warthog effort

He almost got to his hole under the fence but didn’t make it.

Last full day of the trip we went to a small bow hunting property and I managed this Impala Ram. The arrow went along his back steak, exited and went into the back of his neck and then out the front of his neck. Blimey..

We also drove around with me on the back on the truck and I shot a Franklin for the pot.
Each night we were treated to game meats and I have to say that I have never eaten such succulent, tender, flavorsome meats until I came to Africa. The best being Zebra, which was superb.
I developed a real affinity for the Africana’s who are polite, respectful no nonsense people doing the best in difficult circumstances.

We drove back to the office where I settled my bill. I met the entire company team and they spent an hour with me in their board room getting my feedback. Although the first two days hunting were crap in my opinion they were not really geared up for Bow hunting, Iwould still recommend Africa Sky to someone looking for their first trip to South Africa. However I would also say that there seems to be some other excellent Bow Hunting outfitters around as well so it will be very difficult for me to choose for my trip next year.
Despite all this we worked out some expectations and guidelines and after them taking me to a restaurant lunch on the last day I caught my flight back to Australia very happy indeed.

For a bow hunter, Africa is well worth the effort. Where else can youshoot 4 different trophies in 5 days?
I took a few photos; potential animals on the hit list for next year. Hope you like.

As always cheers for reading..

Oh for those that are interested the gear I used..

Archery:
Matthews Monster Chill 70LB @ 26"
Easton Axis 340 shafts with 2" blazer vanes and 100gn Steelforce Phat-head broadheads
Sight is a Trijicon Accudial single pin.

Photographic gear:
Canon 100D body
Canon 300 L series f4 lens
Canon 40mm Kit lens
Canon G12 compact for grab shots
Canon 580EX flashgun
Manfrotto Monopod

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2984-1.jpg
    IMG_2984-1.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3089.jpg
    IMG_3089.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3111.jpg
    IMG_3111.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3011.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3141.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited by a moderator:
Bow press.
Glen

I agree.
Even if I always bring a portable bow press with me, it is always good to have a proper one that works for almost all or all bows on the property in case larger jobs needs to be done.
At least having the Synunm Archery Portable Bow Press that works on most bows would be a great help for the bowhunting clients.

Thanks guys

1. Pit blinds are not my no.1 favorite of all, due to the mess, bats, snakes and they sometimes spell badly after the rains or when they are not cleaned out regularly.

2. Elevated I have found that al lot of the hunters wound animals due to the angle.

3. Tree stands I like due to the natural feel of it and the fact that you have so much more view of the surroundings. I might put some up at a riverbed leading to a pan or watering hole.

4. I have a new idea that I am going to try, it’s a 2.4m x 2.4m x 2.4m Box blind. Manufactured from pressed wood and coated with fiberglass resin, then cover it with the ground at the location and leave it to dry? This should give it that natural look and the resin will protect the wood better than ordinary varnish.

5. The ghost blind looks great and I might try that in the future.

6. Walk and Stalk is possible but on for all and I won’t be able to take the quota on walk and stalk only, so that’s out.

7. I like natural pans or watering holes but in some areas of the farm it’s just too sandy and the water don’t last long.

8. I like the idea of having a target range with all the possible shooting positions. I’ll look into that for sure.

9. Having a bow press, I think is a must in camp.

I will be on the farm on Wednesday to set some trail cams and share ideas with a friend of mine. I’ll also take pictures as we go to post on AH.

Thanks to everyone

What would you like to see in a Bow-Hunting Camp?
me and my daughter.

No your talking!!

Our new camp will be the place for you SIR.

sigh. not likely to happen. I took my son on safari for his college graduation.
I offered to take my daughter to Africa or anywhere in the world (within reason) to hunt whatever she wanted.
I had hoped she would choose Africa, but she said "no. I don't want to fly that far".
So, she chose a mule deer hunt. We leave for that hunt 10 days from now.
The plan is for us each to hunt a mule deer and then the guide will try to call in coyotes and bobcats.
I hope she is able to get a full bag.
She is an awesome young lady and Daddy's girl. Here's a few pics from various ages.
Kellieand2ofherdeer_zps2d65f592.jpg

Kelliesfirstbuck_zpse59a6935.jpg

When she graduated high school, she said she wanted a bow and to start archery hunting. Said it wasn't challenging enough to hunt with a rifle.
By 18, she had probably shot 15-20 deer. Her first was at age 7. I don't have a pic of her biggest buck on my computer or I'd post it. This one was her
second biggest and actually her favorite.
She has killed one with her bow.

Maybe in the future she'll change her mind.

Attachments

• Kelliesfirstbuck_zpse59a6935.jpg
    Kelliesfirstbuck_zpse59a6935.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 356
  • Kellieand2ofherdeer_zps2d65f592.jpg
    Kellieand2ofherdeer_zps2d65f592.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 283
Good luck on your upcoming hunt. Hope you get some Coyotes and Bobcats as well.

Looks like the rains have finally come down on us here in Limpopo (we are grateful) and as I sit, thinking about the upcoming season Iwould appreciate any input.

We are currently working on a new area to hunt next year and believe me this place is loaded with top quality trophies. We do have some well structured blinds, mineral blocks and waterholes in place, but there is always room for improvement.

What would would you like to see or experience in a Bow Huntingcamp?
For instance
Blinds setup
Elevated?
Pit blinds?
Box Blinds?
Tree stands?
Waterholes set up
Concrete?
Natural pans?
Mineral block?
Feeders?
Alfalfa?

The surrounding area around the blind and water?
Shooting distance?
Hunting stands along riverbeds?

Please think of anything you can imagine that would improve the setup.
Hi,

A few ideas that work well on Farms/Ranches I hunt and know of.

Camera and shooting slots for both front and side windows.
If there is glass widows, a material over the glass to prevent the glare
Natural "rock art" finish on the hide
Conveyor belt, synthetic grass or carpet for noise control on walls and floor
A flushing toilet...
Comfortable chairs and maybe a blanket for the cold days
Vary the shooting angles and scenery of the different hides
A good setup for practice before the hunt

Hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg