Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
The wife wants to go to Cape Town as do I. The hunt is near Jo'burg so we will get an internal flight down there. The question is what do I do with my rifle for that time?? Im starting to think I might not take it if its going to be a nightmare on the logistical front :cry:.

Many thanks as ever

I have stored my rifle with a licensed firearms dealer or transport company and they have delivered it right to us at the airport.
No hassle, no muss, no fuss.

I would be asking riflepermits.com right here on AH if he can do the service.
In fact, a faint memory has him doing it for another AH member.

When my wife and I last visited and hunted in Africa we did the same .....
We arrived in Jo berg and had a forwarder from Steve's Travel with guns meet us and get us through SAPS, we than left our duffles and gun case with him and boarded a plane to Cape Town with our carryons for a few days, we left Cape Town on the first flight in the morning was met by the forwarder and our gear checked our bags to Harare and we were off.....
Hope this helps

Depends on were you stay. Stayed at the V&A hotel and they have a safe storage facility at the hotel.
If your hotel does not offer this, get into contact with the guys at Safari&Outdoor,they have been very helpful in the past with storing rifles for me,may cost you a kilogram of biltong;)

Anybody give me a rough idea of cost??

It depends on how much you enjoy paperwork!

I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons and if it will cause you any worry or stress by taking it and leaving it somewhere out of your sight.

I think I would be fine with leaving it as the firms used I guess would be reputable. Right then I guess I need to send rifle permits an email!!!

When we went my daughter and I had the rifles in the locked cases stored at the great hotel we stayed at in Cape Town. No problems. No hassles. No fuss. They picked us and our stuff up at the airport and took us back when we left to go to PE for our hunt which was also exceptional. If you need the hotel I could look it up. They also had the best steakhouse.

We had ours with us for 11 days after our first hunt. 3 days with a tour guide who took them home and locked them in his car in his garage. Then we had a rental car for 8 days and drove ourselves from PE to Cape Town. Got a blanket from the outfitter and did a good job hiding the hard cases to make it look like part of the car, and had our other luggage on top like any other tourist... Tip on this though, be sure you rent a car they fit in! We parked mostly in secured parking areas... Not like there is shortage of fenced areas in any part of RSA!

On the second hunt we rented a car before the hunt, had hotel room the night we arrived and had the manager store the guns for 3 days.2 nights while we toured Kruger then came back for the next night at that first hotel, picked up the guns and returned the car the next morning with the outfitter picking us up at the airport/rental lot. Maybe a bit risky to some but we "made a plan" and it all worked out fine....

I admit it might be easier to have them stored if someone like Henry will do it. But we flew into Joberg and out of Cape Town.... And I really like my own guns.

With the paper work is that much a pain in the back side? And would it be worth getting riflepermits.com on it??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg