AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
I thought I would share what I have found by research and hunting with four outfitters. Most had the same idea of what makes an avg animal or a better then avg. or the over the top trophy.
This is just a basic break down and hope it may help some new hunters looking to go. This is hunting your typical ranch not some high dollar stocked yearly and shot off by years end.
I am not saying this is the avg animal on the ranch but the avg the hunter should be able to do with the right research and hunting the right areas. You may need to give some size up if your adding animals in areas they are not know to grow to great size. If you hunt a select few animals the area is know for and you don't want to hunt more then one place or drive some the standard will change.

Greater Kudu- 50" to 53" is kind of standard with 54 to 57 better then avg and for me you start talking a once in a lifetime at 58" or bigger

cape kudu- 45 to 47" standard 48 to 49 better with the bench mark of 50" being the dream

Oryx- male 35 to 36 avg with any bull over 37 to 38"very good and the 40" over the top. female 36 to 38" 39 to 40 better avg. and those over 40" over the top.

Blue wildebeest - 26 to 27" standard with 28 to 29" be better then avg. Hit that 30" mark and you did real good.

Nyala- 25 to 27" standard with 28 and 29" being better then avg. The 30" mark your talking top shelf.

limpo bushbuck-13 to 14" being good with 15 to 16 being better then avg. with the 17" or better being over the top.

cape bushbuck-12 to 13 very nice 14" over the avg and a 15" being one awesome ram.

Waterbuck-26 to 28" good avg with the 29 to 30 better then avg. You get the one over 30 and your doing awesome.

Red hardebeest-21 to 22 avg. with 23 to 24" great get over that 24" mark and you have a dream red.

Impala- 20 to 22" your avg ran with 23 to 24 as better then avg and you get 25" or better be very happy.

Spingbuck is the hard one because area has a lot to do with the size. 11" to 12" is good you start getting to the 13" mark your doing very good. Get the 14" or better your doing great.

Blesbuck- 13 to 14 good standard ram. get 15 to 16 better then avg. with the 17" mark doing great for a SA goat.

Then we have eland and it is the one animal to me horn size means nothing and it is all about body size. Most want to get hunters at least a bull of 32" to 34" When you get those long 38" horns they look good but the body will be half the size of those 32" bulls . I believe must want to hunt for the big body big dewlap blue bull but a hunter can pick those long 38 or better if he wants.

Again this is just a guide I have used and what the outfitters I hunted with kind of believed also. Some animals could be shorter but heavy bases or just way past there prime and that could be the goal for that hunter. I myself if doing a package hunt or going for my first time was told much different then this I would run because your being over promised or the area is just not that good.

Last edited:
That is brave to post such information. I think the numbers are kind of high that or tape measures are wrong. Anything over 55 inches in a kudu is HUGE, any nyala 28 or bigger is HUGE. I think anything over 36 on a oryx is very big.

I have taken 3 blesbok over 17, they are easy.

I agree with what you say but it all depends on the area and who you hunt with. I think my numbers are right there with goals a hunter can do with the right home work. I think must ranches will have the sizes I have listed if the hunter passes on a few to look for better. The ph has a lot to do with what he is willing to pass because of the time frame also.

I have just found there is certain sizes that most see as the top size or a once and a lifetime kind of animal. A 55" kudu is a giant but must look at 58 to 60 as the magic mark just like a nyala is 30". When I say better then avg that could mean huge to some but that is what each hunter thinks to themselves. You take a 55" kudu or a 28" nyala you could still maybe do better on your standard hunt. But you take a 60" kudu or a 30" nyala you will have a long time to beat those marks I think and it will take so much luck for a guy to beat those sizes.

For blesbuck you are right but most guys don't always put the time in to get the biggest because they are rather easy to hunt.

Again those are just my numbers and nothing set in stone. I am also talking avg. which means some guys will take smaller then avg animals also.

Last edited:
This seems pretty accurate. I would hold out for a better than average impala. I missed a great one and it haunts me and after you see a great one, the average one just doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks Bill that is some good info for some one like me scheming to go there for the first time!

I hope it helps a few guys. I really don't think most guys know what the avg animal is and have not seen a post telling sizes so I thought what the heck why not do one. Most animals look big the first time your there so if you have some info with sizes you can decide when the Ph tells you if he makes your grade as a shooter or not.

Impala is one of the those that looks bigger when you see a better then avg one for some reason. Most guys could not tell the difference between a 50"kudu or a 55" even after seeing a bunch but you see one of those impala you just know after seeing a few rams.

Interesting scale bill. Only place I would modify the list is where the "average" is falling within the Rowland minimums. If an Outfitter is punching averages above Rowland Ward Minimums I would be very surprised.

Rowland Ward is pretty simple way to tell if you have a great trophy. Measure/estimate your width or length of the longest horn and compare it to the table.

You meet Rowland you are over the top with SCI.

Not every monster animal has been registered. I know of much larger Bontebok being taken than the "record".
rw min.jpg

I don't expect to find a nyala 30 inches or better unless I'm hunting KZN. I have seen some nice ones taken in the East Cape and Limpopo, but over 30" there is rare.

Reactions: BWH
Looking at that list most of my sizes I put are below the min. size from that chart. and what I am calling above avg is book. Again it is based on what I have taken and seen on the places I hunted and from research I have done. I think you ask any outfitter for the avg size I have stated they can get you that size if you have the time and can shoot.
I did not do my list based on R/w or sci and have no idea what the scores are for any of them.

As for nyala I would not hunt the east cape for one or the limpo as neither have the shape I like for the most part. A 30" is not every place but they are around but 28" is nothing to sneeze at and above an avg tropy. I guess I have some goods spots to hunt nyala in the northwest and I guess it helps they were stocked in there from natal over 30 years ago. I have seen and have trail cam pics of more then one bull I would bet a bunch of money on they hit the 30 mark. Getting one on the ground though is not easy.

I will stick with saying any new hunters use my sizes and they will be happy in the end with the animals they get and most outfitters will not think your asking for to much with those avg. sizes.

I would love to see a picture of that bontebok if it beats the record. I don't think I have seen one over 14" but I have not seen a bunch of them either. That one must be a monster for sure.

I pretty proud of all of my animals..... Some would definitely go RW... A couple maybe not. However, other than a rough measure... I never put a shitload of credence in. If it was good enough for @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris & @Hartzview Hunting Safaris to say "shoot", then good enough for me. And they are my friends. I feel like I know them & they know me. Yes.... People desire of a 60" kudu.... However... Had it been 59" free range vs. 60" in a cage, would sentiment be different. Be happy that you hunt & happy what you shoot. Cheers my friends! Here's to no disappointing hunts!

I don't expect to find a nyala 30 inches or better unless I'm hunting KZN. I have seen some nice ones taken in the East Cape and Limpopo, but over 30" there is rare.

Hunted non stop... For days... In the most rich 30" nyala country KZN had..... I got a 28" nyala..... It is still hunting at the end of the day. Until we just stop & mail order animals behind the cage.... There is still a good % that is luck.... Which sucks.... For me at least.

l tend to go with SCI on this, mostly because that is the book(s) I have. Probably more than half the critters I have taken in Africa make SCI, but I have never entered any for inclusion, because well, I don't care that much to bother, but its nice to know that some would qualify. Bills numbers are reasonable I think.

Hunted non stop... For days... In the most rich 30" nyala country KZN had..... I got a 28" nyala..... It is still hunting at the end of the day. Until we just stop & mail order animals behind the cage.... There is still a good % that is luck.... Which sucks.... For me at least.
I was tickled pink when I got a 28" nyala in RSA last time:D, I am sure you were too.

Hell yes.... Honestly, other than pride & maybe some decor ideas.... What's the diff between 28" & 30"...... Guys, no penis jokes.

:P Elmer Fudd:Bill not sure you realize this but I'm looking for Pieter to find me a St Bernard size leopard! Say around 200 pounds with a 28 inch neck!
That would be good right??

:P Elmer Fudd:Bill not sure you realize this but I'm looking for Pieter to find me a St Bernard size leopard! Say around 200 pounds with a 28 inch neck!
That would be good right??

Will you be hunting in cattle country?

I'm not into measuring.

Before I met my wife, I looked (etc) at enough women to know when I found one that made me happy. I didn't measure her on my wedding night to see how she rated against someone else's wife. I'm sure as hell not going to take a kudu more seriously than a spouse.

Spend some time looking at the herd, get an idea what is out there. You don't need to shoot something the first day. Once you have an idea on what is available and what appeals to you, pull the trigger.

Will you be hunting in cattle country?

Zimbabwean snow skiing country from what I understand....

Trail cam pic that billc sent me of Charlie's leopard.

51TytopN7-L._SY300_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross