Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Du .SCI and central wa. chapter
Hunted
New zealandand argentina,Canada,Tanzania eastern cape SA.Zimbabwa 14 states in the U.S.and soon in Mozambique
I am going on a Leopard hunt in august 2014. I have a ruger in ruger 375:: and a sako in 300 WSM,What would you use. Thank you John

If my only choices were the 375 Ruger and the 300 WSM and gun fit, optics and accuracy were about the same, I would pick the 375 Ruger.

If you are hunting your Leopard over a bait you may consider taking the one that has the very best scope on it, you may need the best light gathering properties for a very-last-light shot.

They'll both take down the Leopard (providing you make a good shot). It's nice to have an accurate rifle but whether it shoots 1/4" MOA or 1" MOA is not that much of a factor for these <100 yard shots. That being said, bring the rifle which you shoot better AND has the best scope - preferably a 30MM tube, at least 6X magnification (as your shot may be 80-100yds+), lighted reticle and excellent glass as you may take that shot with very little light (at dusk or dawn). I would actually be thinking more about which scope to take rather that which of the two rifles. Invest in the best scope you can afford for the Leopard. You won't regret it when you can take that tough shot when there are only minutes left of light! I bought a nice scope for my "leopard" rifle and was glad I did it because I successfully made my shot with literally seconds left of shootable light.

The answer to your "which rifle" also largely depends on what other game (plains or DG) you have on your list. If Cape, then it's the 375. If only plains game, then the 300 WSM. But like someone else said... just take both!!

Hello John

This is excellent news.
As somebody else said, just take both, fit them with proper scopes and you'll be fine.

Kind regards

no1waterdog,

Make sure the country you plan to hunt leopard in allows calibers below .375 before getting all spooled-up.

Aside from that thought, I will admit that I've never hunted leopard myself, but I have shot & hung bait for them, RE: in-coming client when I spent a month working for a Safari company in S. Africa ("working" vacation for me).

I must add that almost all of the things everyone else is saying here, sounds like good advice to me, in my never-hunted-a-single-leopard-in-my-life opinion.

Asking those here who've actually sacked a leopard is smart, asking your PH is even "more smarterer".

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I love both cartridges and specially the 375 Ruger as I own myself.
As others said, it really doesn't matter so much. Make a good shot with any of them and you will have a dead Leopard.
The most important is to have a good low light scope. Swarovski and Zeiss Victory are the best in my opinion.

Personally I would just bring the 375 Ruger and you will be set for whatever you want to hunt there :)

I love both cartridges and specially the 375 Ruger as I own myself.
As others said, it really doesn't matter so much. Make a good shot with any of them and you will have a dead Leopard.
The most important is to have a good low light scope. Swarovski and Zeiss Victory are the best in my opinion.

Personally I would just bring the 375 Ruger and you will be set for whatever you want to hunt there :)

100% agree...just MHO. Have a great hunt regardless!

Assuming they both shoot, this really is all about the scope. This is one hunt where the right optics can mean all the difference between taking a shot and not taking one. Nothing brings out scope quality like failing light. And that lens quality and particularly their light transmission are far more important than the lighted redicle. My favorite low-light scopes are made by Zeiss (Victory series), Leica, and Sworovski. I personally used a four-power setting on an eighty-yard leopard opting for the quicker target acquisition than the precission 6 power or higher would have given me. The key is that a quality scope will allow you to make those choices.

I shot my Leopard with a Swaro Z-6 1.7-10 w/ Illum Reticle. Attached is a screen grab from a video just a split second before it was hit. The photo is a bit darker than the actual video but you get the idea. If I didn't have the light gathering of a 30MM tube, the quality of the Swaro glass AND an illuminated reticle, there's no way I would/could have made that shot. I have to say that the illuminated reticle is a must for low light. Black cross hairs are the first to go.

My Leopard came into the tree a full 4 minutes before I made the shot. I couldn't take the shot for those 4 minutes as he was bent over eating in front of a branch that we hadn't cleared. IT WAS A VERY LONG 4 MINUTES! I had to wait until he sat up to take the shot. As I waited, the light was slowly slipping away.

Believe me, it would SUCK to miss a shot opportunity on a nice Tom because the optics weren't right. He may not come back.....

Attachments

• Leopard.jpg
    Leopard.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 159
Thank you to all for the help,I am putting a trijicon 30 mm 1 x 4 scope on my 300 WSM and will shoot a 180 accubond with 64 grains of W760 powder.John

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Good choice. I used a Trijicon 2.5-10, 30mm with an amber post on my 30-06 last June in the Zambezi Valley. I was shooting 180 gn Swift A-Frames. My leopard was dead under the tree - one shot. The lighted reticle is a big help when they come to the bait at last light.

I shot my Leopard with a Swaro Z-6 1.7-10 w/ Illum Reticle. Attached is a screen grab from a video just a split second before it was hit. The photo is a bit darker than the actual video but you get the idea. If I didn't have the light gathering of a 30MM tube, the quality of the Swaro glass AND an illuminated reticle, there's no way I would/could have made that shot. I have to say that the illuminated reticle is a must for low light. Black cross hairs are the first to go.

My Leopard came into the tree a full 4 minutes before I made the shot. I couldn't take the shot for those 4 minutes as he was bent over eating in front of a branch that we hadn't cleared. IT WAS A VERY LONG 4 MINUTES! I had to wait until he sat up to take the shot. As I waited, the light was slowly slipping away.

Believe me, it would SUCK to miss a shot opportunity on a nice Tom because the optics weren't right. He may not come back.....

That's an awesome picture. I bet 4 minutes felt like 10 easy.

Thank you to all for the help,I am putting a trijicon 30 mm 1 x 4 scope on my 300 WSM and will shoot a 180 accubond with 64 grains of W760 powder.John

That'll work! Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois