What plains game animals are the Limpopo Povince famous for?

Lapaiki39

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
B & C, Hunting Fool
What plains game animals are the Limpopo Povince famous for? What would be the animal you can hunt there that you would nowhere else. What animals would be on the top of your wish list for the area as far as trophy quality. Thanks for all your help with this request.

Lapaiki, I would go for Kudu, limpopo bushbuck, Burchelle's zebra, warthog and impala, you will be sure to get very good quality on these, then again lists are there to be changed and often something different shows up,

Nothing as nice unexpected targets of opportunity :) go with an open mind and take it as it comes :)

My best always

My best always

I agree with Jaco!

Jaco's list Trophy quality wise for sure.

No where else?
The variety of Bushbuck noted.

By no means limited to Limpopo as far as distribution is concerned... i do believe it as far as quality goes though.......... with you BRICKBURN:)

my best always

I agree with Jaco, I took those five animals in the Limpopo,along with 3 others. Great place to hunt. Brian

+ 1 Jaco . Huge Waterbuck is also quite often found . Big Klipspringer and huge Bluewildebeast in places . The ultimate place to go .....

I go next year,,,just save me a Few

jacos nailed it...great list for that area..kudu and waterbuck are big there!!
Also some very nice warthog!!

Also some very nice big blue Eland bulls especially in the mopane veldt right up north

Thanks for everyones imput. I think I have a pretty good idea what I should be hunting for. No mention of Bushpigs from anyone though & thats on my list.

Well bushpigs can be found in a number of places. It's important to find a outfitter that specializes in them, if they are imporant to you.

Bushpigs are mostly hunted by baiting or running them with dogs.....spot and stalk usually doesn't work.

Waterberg has plenty of them, running a bait is no major issue be sure to hunt the right areas though as numbers are plenty in certain and extremely slim in other areas in Limpopo , I would almost go as far as to say that the Waterberg will be one of your best bets.....:)

My best always

Jaco nailed that one once again . I have leopard baits out at the moment . They all have Bushpig around . They can be lured with guts , rotten meat or corn. The Waterberg has no shortage of big pigs !

Happy Hunting !!!

Richard thought I would attach some pictures, of a starter Leopard bait/Bushpig/Hyena/Badger... a crap just a bait... Very true what you are saying though......

You'll see a dead boar in the pic as well it got shot and the trail cam was to slow.. :) anything hits these baits, I amm a firm believer that baits become better over time... where bushpig occur it is as Richard says really not that hard to find with the right preperation and ads a slightly different dimension to a regular plains game hunt.

Also keep in mind that the bushpig and Leopard were feeding the same site at night just at different times, we harvested the Bushpig and the cat still came in to feed it did not bother it one bit.......

My best always

Attachments

• kwalata trail (1).jpeg
    kwalata trail (1).jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 183
  • kwalata trail (2).jpeg
    kwalata trail (2).jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 159
  • kwalata trail (3).jpeg
    kwalata trail (3).jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 147
  • kwalata trail (4).jpeg
    kwalata trail (4).jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 180
  • kwalata trail (5).jpeg
    kwalata trail (5).jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 164
  • kwalata trail (6).jpeg
    kwalata trail (6).jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 146
  • kwalata trail.jpeg
    kwalata trail.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 174
Great addition to the the discussion . Are you trying to conceal the identity of the leopard and Brown Hyena ??? :shades:

I agree with you guys, right preparation...bushpig not impossible to hunt. Some people look at a trophy list and see bushpig on a trophy list and expect to kill one...no questions asked. I think whether its bushpigs or one of the smaller cats you have to tell your outfitter what you are looking to hunt. A outfitter is limited on how many small cats can be harvested and exported. And some outfitters might hunt bushpigs on the main property, others might have to drive over to a different property.

Ha ha:)no no thought i would add it in to show how much fun it can be it has happened a couple of times while hunting bushpig that a leopard visits or hyena, at least you know that your blind set up is good...

Point is bushpig hunting can be fun as you never know what might come in... what you think of the Tomcat.?

Nice but no monster....:)IMO
My best always

Great cat ... Any leopard hunter should be proud of that one ... Looks like 160 lbs and good 16 " .....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber