What next???

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
im toying with the thought of a black powder gun for Afrika. Id like for it to be suitable for Dangerous Game as well as Plains Game. I'd love to do a 4bore but I'm wondering if a 8bore or even 75cal isn't enough. It'll be a single shot and I have no problem with a PH backing me up with a modern gun. A 4bore is really calling me though. I'd like to use it on Hippo and maybe Buff but also Wildebeest and maybe Kudo. I'd love Elephant too but I'm not sure that will ever happen.

I know the smaller guns have all been successfully used but I'm kinda keen on wanting something big. The price range between 4 and 8 bore builds isn't that much different but both are way more than a 72 or 75 caliber gun. So once I jump to 8, 4 seems almost reasonable....

I hear that getting powder is or can be an issue.

You would have to have enough time to develop a load with local powder.

I ditched the idea of taking a muzzleloader because of the PIA.

I'm sure you can get it done if you were determined.

im toying with the thought of a black powder gun for Afrika. Id like for it to be suitable for Dangerous Game as well as Plains Game. I'd love to do a 4bore but I'm wondering if a 8bore or even 75cal isn't enough. It'll be a single shot and I have no problem with a PH backing me up with a modern gun. A 4bore is really calling me though. I'd like to use it on Hippo and maybe Buff but also Wildebeest and maybe Kudo. I'd love Elephant too but I'm not sure that will ever happen.

I know the smaller guns have all been successfully used but I'm kinda keen on wanting something big. The price range between 4 and 8 bore builds isn't that much different but both are way more than a 72 or 75 caliber gun. So once I jump to 8, 4 seems almost reasonable....

I hear that getting powder is or can be an issue.

Getting the powder is not the issue. You will need to inform your outfitter way ahead of time that you wish to bring your muzzleloader. He will then need to purchase the black powder locally and need to be in possession of a valid black powder permit, in order to do this.
Black powder in Africa is not the same as in North America either. It certainly does not burn as clean, and you should notice a substantial drop in velocity to what you are use to from your local powders.
You will basically have to redevelop your entire load once you are here, have access to a Chrony etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,