What keeps you dreaming of Africa?

Part of the excitement of Africa is that it all seems ancient - like the Baobab trees. Also the unknown what species might be on the other side of the bush.

The Kudu with that just right mix of spread and deep curls with the tops pointing out

A bushbuck

The tiny 10

A cape buff

Vaal Rhebok

A camp where I can hear lions roar at night

My first sighting of a hyena

A bull sable that has problems getting the tips of his horns stuck in his backside

Hunting a honey badger at night (thanks a lot enysse)
I could go on and on but I'll end with hopefully helping a few folks along the way enjoy African hunting as much as I have.

A serval, caracal, tiny 10 on my wish list ,oh who am I kidding I miss it all. The smell of the grass, the star filled nights and the great food & fires.

Like Grage says, being on AH every day certainly keeps the fires burning! My last couple of trips have been a bit of a disappointment:( for my personal quarry, namely ELAND!!!!!!!:cry:, but it also makes sure that I have that to keep chasing. That and hyena. I swear, near every day, on the home page there is 3 pictures each of eland and hyena to make me crazy! ;) Must be a conspiracy!:eek:

I didn't even mention warthog or bushpig, I must be suffering suppression or I'm in denial.

Oh man, I am in the process of planning my first hunt next year and starting to almost become an obsession just from the anticipation. From you guys are saying it sounds like it's only going to get worse once I make the trip.
Brushmore, I started planning my first safari (2015) 8 months ago and will be returning from that trip approximately 1 year from now and all that needs to be figured out is the taxidermist I will use. I'm a list maker and planner, so I love this part, but the wait is killing me already. I will also do a photo safari prior to the hunt (to get the eyes seeing African game) and then down to the Cape and a few day of shark cage diving after the hunt, before returning home. So it's on to planning trip number 2 a year before my first safari takes place. Now only if the funds for the trips came so easy. Enjoy the process, it's only the beginning.

Velo Dog,

You are a poet and a muse. I never tire of reading your posts.

Thanks Royal27, coming from one as verbose, well spoken and entertaining as yourself, I take that as high praise indeed.
Likewise I never tire of reading your posts.

Just in case my mind momentarily leaves Africa, my computer desktops and screen savers at work and home are all Africa photos.

I know the feeling, I have been chasing for a hyena for 9 years and I think my wife is the culprit wishing be bad luck...!!! She doesn't want a full body mount sitting next to my chair in the den holding my beer and remote.... I just don't know why she wouldnt like that... such a cool idea..?

Like Grage says, being on AH every day certainly keeps the fires burning! My last couple of trips have been a bit of a disappointment:( for my personal quarry, namely ELAND!!!!!!!:cry:, but it also makes sure that I have that to keep chasing. That and hyena. I swear, near every day, on the home page there is 3 pictures each of eland and hyena to make me crazy! ;) Must be a conspiracy!:eek:

I know the feeling, I have been chasing for a hyena for 9 years and I think my wife is the culprit wishing be bad luck...!!! She doesn't want a full body mount sitting next to my chair in the den holding my beer and remote.... I just don't know why she wouldnt like that... such a cool idea..?

A serval, caracal, tiny 10 on my wish list ,oh who am I kidding I miss it all. The smell of the grass, the star filled nights and the great food & fires.
You are right about those stars. I cannot even remember the last time I was able to see the Milky Way so clearly here in the states. But we went porcupine hunting one night on my first safari hunt in SA. We had moved to the Stormberg area. When we finally arrived back to our PH's home where we were staying, I was shocked to look up and see more stars than I think I have ever seen in my life. I just wish I had taken a photo. Truly breathe taking.

All the trophies, masks, spears...on the walls of my house, and the memories...

Having lunch most saturdays with my hunting partners also helps !

Reading the experiences here on AH, for sure. All of a sudden it was a fantasy that could be a reality! It is almost a jealously; especially when I read how people just make the trip happen, despite work, school or whatever. So, I would have to say what keeps me dreaming about Africa is the inspiration to get out and live it from all of you who got out and did it!

I'm around it constantly everyday. My pictures, taxidermy, woodcarvings. Then talking with my clients about their experiences in Africa and working on their safaris. It still exciting and few people can relate to it- A lot of hunters out there don't know what they are missing!

Alaska is also on my mind too. I have a trip up to B.C. coming up so I'm pumped about that as it will be new hunting territory for me. Another trip that comes in 3rd is Elk hunting in backcountry Montana.

This

buffalo.jpg

and this

SouthAfrica2013373.jpg

and a close third

SouthAfrica2013094.jpg

Attachments

• buffalo.jpg
    buffalo.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 123
  • SouthAfrica2013094.jpg
    SouthAfrica2013094.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 135
  • SouthAfrica2013373.jpg
    SouthAfrica2013373.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 110
JTEX, seems like that should do it! (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!