What is your most memorable African Hunting moment?

CAustin

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I pose this question for AH members that has perhaps been asked before but I dare say we have new members that may wish to share with everyone.
For me it was was when my Outfitter and PH, Pieter Erasmus, said to me......." You may touch your ivory Charlie"
I had already received a high five from my son on taking the elephant down but now I was to be the first man ever to touch the bull's ivory. For me the culmination of the greatest of hunts.

Hard to pick just one, I love every moment of Africa.
I was bow hunting last year in Namibia, A Hartmann's zebra stallion came in at 17 yards, made the shot ( arrow went 60 + yards on the other side, pass thru) the stallion took two steps back two steps forward, walked 10 yards and fell over dead. AWESOME . Forrest

not quite at the level of ivory, I did find that first touch on the horns to be most impressive. My favourite moment was when I saw my Kudu bull walking in the gap at about 30 yards. The majesty and grace of that creature, those horn held back, I literally froze in amazement and forgot to shoot:D.

The other was watching the look on Marius' face when I told him I had brought 100 toothbrushes... He was trying so hard not to look incredulous :LOL: Yes, well, don't ask...

I think that this will be an interesting thread!

For me, it would have to be walking the Flintbek farm for a day and a half in search of a kudu. We crested a hill, and walking right down the middle of the road we were following was my kudu, oblivious that we were behind him. Once we got into position, it seemed like an eternity waiting on the sticks for him to turn. It was a feeling that it was all up to me, I just had to follow through!

I'll go with the Elephant theme.
While Bow hunting Common Reedbuck I was "interrupted" by a herd of Elephants.

IMG_3247.jpg
IMG_3126.jpg
IMG_3153.jpg

Ok, I have to add another one....

Having a Leopard sniffing at my blind within 18 inches of me was fairly exhilarating.

For me it was stalking my Kudu for 3 hours after days of trying, crawling through muddy water and thorns, and getting into position to get a broadside shot! Dropped him dead in his tracks, I will never forget the moment, the stalk, and the recovery as the sun was going down. The Kudu was THE animal I was infatuated with on my first trip to Africa, if I didn't get any other I would have been happy only getting a Kudu!
DSC00148.JPG

When the Buffalo in my avatar stood up half way behind a tree and PH Walla Albertse said take him he is going to run.

@Pheroze you need to tell us more on the tooth brushes sir!

I think that this will be an interesting thread!

For me, it would have to be walking the Flintbek farm for a day and a half in search of a kudu. We crested a hill, and walking right down the middle of the road we were following was my kudu, oblivious that we were behind him. Once we got into position, it seemed like an eternity waiting on the sticks for him to turn. It was a feeling that it was all up to me, I just had to follow through!
I know what you mean about Flintbeck. And I do hope people find this tread interesting enough to share their story.

@BRICKBURN you always manage to get great pictures during your hunts!

@reedy0312 your kudu story is exactly why people get hooked on hunting Africa. We want to relive that moment that stands out for us.

@CAustin , great thread Charlie, so many to chose from, but I would say being hit full frontal by wounded buffalo and walking away with two scratches. Was saved by the wet swamp, if it had been dry ground, not sure I would have walked away. Half my body was wet from when the buff was on top of me.
DSCN1997.JPG

Damn Simon we need to come hunt buff with you! Glad you survived that encounter.

When I walked out of a Pygmy village with one iron sighted rifle, 8 porters, a cook, a tracker, and no PH in to the Congo rainforest to begin a two week hunt on my own.

@BRICKBURN you always manage to get great pictures during your hunts!

It's the only way to ensure I know what happened.
Hard work and attention, it's also handy having a PH who knows how to use my camera when needed. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
One of them would have to be my kudu last year. My PH and I had hunted for 2 full days and this was the evening of the 3rd day. We had not taken an animal so we hoped we were due. We sat in a blind on a field where a number of kudu had been coming out to eat the blue buffalo grass. When the bull walked out my PH said don't shoot unless I say to. I thought to myself do you really need to say that. He stopped about 90 yds away looked around and started walking again. My PH go ahead and take him, so I did. He dropped in his tracks. I racked another bullet in and the PH says, " Where did he go"? He thought I was going to wait for him to stop walking..... I was primed and ready so I took him. I told him he had dropped at the shot. He then told me to reload. I told him I had already done that. So we got out of the blind and walked up to the beautiful bull that is my avatar pic.......... One of my better African experiences.... My PH was rather relieved that we had finally gotten an animal down.....Bruce

There are so many great memories but setting up my pop up blind and three days later at 14 yards watching my home made cedar arrow bury to the feathers tight to the shoulder and low on the kudu in my avatar is forever etched in my mind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross