What is the Perfect Plains Game rifle? and what is too much?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Grady, Feb 12, 2014.

1. drew416

drew416 AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    Very nice rifle indeed. Please tell more about it.

Bullet selection for me, being in Australia, is limited due to supply and demand. However I have only ever found the need to use what is commercially available here, namely the Woodleigh 220gn Protected Point, 250gn Round Nose and 170gn Hydrostatically Stabilized Solid. These solids are particularly good for shooting for the table.

The 220gn is said to be able to handle 3000fps velocities, but I drive them out at 2800fps on average, I just get smaller groups at that speed.

I have also had spectacular results with RWS 224gn Cone Points.
  2. Johnny reb

Johnny reb AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA- buckmasters
    Thanks for the comments guys the rifle is built off of a model 70 action. It's got a 27 in barrel setting In an accurate innovations stock that's bedded and barrel is free floating I'm going too get some ceb's too try and north forks also. I've used 180gn Nosler ballistic tip spitzers and I can push them right at 3250 with no pressure signs and keep 5 shots within a inch.it can also push220gn Sierra game kings at 3000fps and keep 5 in about 1.5 inches I'm still tinkering with those. I've used 200gn Nosler hpbt and it will shoot 5 in about an inch.I' m still messing around with it some people would of done quit but I think that I can do better. Going too try and shoot this weekend. I would be interested in what others are using also
  3. Quinton

Quinton New Member

Good heavens! With a 27" barrel you can almost tap the animal on the shoulder and ask him to surrender.
  4. Mannlicher

Mannlicher AH Member

Hunted:
    Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, RSA
    For hunting I use in my 8x68 S- very similar to the 8mmRemMag - 200gr Nosler Partition ( red stag and wild boar in Europe ) and 220 gr Swift A-Frame for PG in Africa .

Mannlicher